We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

Hana, Hawaii
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

My wife and I are planning a anniversary caribbean trip and can't decide where to go. We were married in Puerto Rico and explored most of it, so we want to go somewhere else. We are thinking St. Lucia, but are also considering St. Croix. Any other suggestions? We don't have the budget we had for our wedding/honeymoon, and don't need 5 star accommodations. Clean and comfortable required.

Our priorities:

beautiful, uncrowded beaches with clear calm water

good variety of quality food - seafood, local fare, not fine dining

cultural and natural attractions

diving, snorkeling, stand up paddling, fishing are our preferred activities, but open to others.

easy/comparatively cheap to get to

Not Priorities:

expensive, fine dining

crowds, heavily touristed areas

shopping

Thanks for your advice!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

I lived in St. Lucia and had a marvelous destination wedding in St. Croix. Based on your description of what makes a vacation for you, without a doubt, I'd say you should head for St. Lucia. It has everything on your check list and then some! Their Creole cuisine is delish, you'll see amazing marine life, especially in the Soufriere area where I would suggest you stay.

There's a drive-in volcano, waterfalls, hiking options, zip lining, helicopter tours and if you really feel adventurous, depending on how long you're staying, you can add an island to your itinerary by making a day trip to neighboring Martinique or fly over to the Grenadines.

St. Croix was lovely, but St. Lucia offers better snorkeling/diving, and overall has a more unique and distinct culture. The French and British traded ownership of St. Lucia 14 times! Once you've spent a few days there, you'll know for sure why it was dubbed the, "Helen of the Caribbean".

Happy Planning! ;~>

Edited: 09 April 2014, 13:34
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,005 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

Bon jou Sky808,

St. Lucia is as easy to get to as St. Croix USVI from Maui (16+ hr overnight flight with 2 stops) but almost double the cost... search for flights + hotel package for better rates since July is in the Rainy (Low) Season...

Still St. Lucia and Soufriere, heart of The Pitons World Heritage Site, is worth it for the real Caribbean vibe!

Bless up! Paul

Hana, Hawaii
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

thanks for your input! I really appreciate it. We are also now considering Anguilla on a friends recommendation who was married there. I know it's dryer, which seems like a bonus in late July, and the two seem pretty different. Any thoughts on Anguilla?

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

Hi,

I have been to St Lucia in each of the last 3 Julys and the weather was not a problem. Just a few very short showers and on average we lost half a day a week to prolonged rain.

Afraid I cannot comment on the other Islands you mention

STEVE

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

I love Anguilla! It has some of the most dazzling white sand beaches in the entire Caribbean!!! Great dining and it's much easier to navigate than St. Lucia. It's a much smaller island, flat, so you could drive there with greater safety. The variety of cultural and natural attractions in St. Lucia far exceeds Anguilla!

Anguilla has great beaches but no, waterfalls, botanical gardens, rainforest or drive-in volcano. Still I've enjoyed incredibly chill vacations there.

You can't go wrong if you opt for Anguilla for this trip, St. Lucia will be there when you're ready for a different experience.

Happy Planning! ;~>

Edited: 18 April 2014, 14:19
Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

Must see beaches in Anguilla:

Shoal Bay East

Upper Shoal Bay

Meads Bay

Rendezvous Bay

Maundays Bay

Cove Bay

Prickly Pear (You can only get there by boat.)

Little Bay (By boat for snorkeling.)

Junks Hole

Anguilla has incredible world class dining as well as local food trucks in The Valley where you can grab an inexpensive tasty local lunch.

7. Re: St. Lucia vs. other islands in late July...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 06:17