We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Hi,

I hope the subject doesn't sound rude!

I love the look and sound of St. Lucia, I love the activities I see that some hotels do (water sports ect...) and the excursions I have seen that can be done. The problem I have is all the hotels I have seen look like they were last decorated in the 70's!

Can anyone help with this? I would like a hotel that does AI, watersports (motorised and non) and is modern in the rooms (clean, white, minimalist ect...).

I have seen some that have the rooms but no activities. I like the look of rendezvous, it seems perfect in every way except for the room that I have seen.

Is this something I wont be able to find in St. Lucia due to it's Spanish heritage?

Thanks for any help.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Cliecost, St Lucia does not have a Spanish heritage....it has a British/French heritage! I can tell you that most of the rooms at Rendezvous have been upgraded in the last couple of years with the exception of the Veranda suites which are due to be done shortly....they are what I would call outdated but funnily enough our particular favourite due to their size and large balcony overlooking the beautiful gardens. All the rooms are typically Caribbean and each category of room has a different feel. Once you are there I am sure you will not be spending much time in the room anyway as there is so much to see and do. Rendezvous is a great place with an amazing team to look after you! I hope this helps a little.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Sorry, I meant to say French. I put in French/Spanish but deleted the wrong one!

When you say 'typically caribbean' what do you mean?

Also, at the Bodyholiday (I understand it's the sister hotel to Rendezvous) is it all health and no nice unhealthy food? lol

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

What about sugar beach?

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
307 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Lol...Cliecost, I will send you a PM

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,219 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Have a look at Bay Gardens Beach Resort. It is about 6 years old so still "new" and fits your requirements re AI, Watersports and is relatively minimalist in a nice clean way.

However I would also recommend that you don't do AI unless you are going to drink bucketfuls because there is great variety and value of bars/restaurants within a 5/10 minute walk.

Others to consider would be Jade Mountain, and Cap Maison both of which are high end.

STEVE

Edited: 26 April 2014, 13:24
Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
952 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Cliecost - many hotels have up-to-date furnishings, but the modern minimalist look (stark, white, chrome, German-European instead of French/English European) is not the style in St Lucia. You get a lot of wood and stone, not a lot of white and metal. But you may want to look at Jade Mountain (lots of wood, but fairly modern styling).

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Calabash Cove is about the only property that has the "modern" look - white, South Beach type vibe. It's a small luxury boutique property, does offer an AI meal plan and includes some non-motorized watersports (kayaks, etc). Great property.

Sugar Beach offers the whites, but in a plantation house type setting. The rooms aren't "modern" decor, they are more old-world Caribbean in whites and woods. Stunning location though, they do offer an AI meal plan and there are lots of water activities.

Jade Mountain is very modern architecture - more stone and woods but very modern style. Huge rooms, stunning views, AI meal plans, etc.

Otherwise - you're going to find most places are decorated with a more Caribbean flair - madras prints, more sea blues and greens, dark woods, etc. That doesn't mean they are old or out of date, just in keeping with the setting!

Good luck with your research!

PS: no, LeSport is not all health food and health activities. There is a great mix of good-tasting foods (including fries, sandwiches, potatoes, steaks, etc) along with healthier options like fish, salad variety, etc. There are tons of activities along w/doing nothing at all. It has relatively recently been renovated (about 2+ years) and is more up-to-date, but definitely not south Beach white minimalist, rather more sophisticated Caribbean vibes. Great AI option if AI is a must.

Enjoy your visit.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

I watched a video of Bodyholiday on youtube and it came across as a concrete mega hotel in some parts (i.e the dining area). Would you say this is the case?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,440 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

BH is hardly a "mega resort". It is 150, 160 rooms at best (and some of those are single rooms, so at best 300 people at any one time if completely sold out), spread around a cove and hillside. The dining areas are hardly major huge caverns, they are smaller intimate venues where you can meet your fellow vacationers or have a private table for two.

St. Lucia really doesn't have "mega resorts" like you would find in Cancun/Riviera Maya or DR, etc. We simply don't have the space or atmosphere for those types of resorts. The only ones that come close are the Sandals properties (and even then - 300 or so rooms. That's boutique in MX/DR, etc!), and perhaps Coconut Bay and St James Club. St. Lucia is not an island that is conducive overall to mega-properties. (Or AIs in general, hence so few to choose from).

Enjoy your visit.

Woking, United...
Level Contributor
416 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Modern hotel? Too much to ask?

Windjammer Landing will also fit into this category by the time their extension is finished. They had 650 guests over the Easter period & they are currently in the process of adding an additional 300 beds, so that will make it one of the biggest resorts in St Lucia when it's complete!

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia