We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

1 post
Save Topic
Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Is the chikungunya virus situation bad in st lucia currently? Honeymoon in late june early July and thinking about canceling due to the virus and having to worry about it while their. We really don't want to have to worry about this on our trip or getting it and having wasted the money. Just curious if this is really something to worry about?

Edited: 29 May 2014, 03:30
United States
Destination Expert
for Ocho Rios
Level Contributor
4,125 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

We have flown when H1N1 was a big deal, and SARS, and a few other ones. IMO, you are more likely to get sick on a plane than anywhere else. For me personally, if I'm going to get sick, I just am. I don't worry about it, so no, I wouldn't cancel your trip or worry about it. If you are a person who is very worried about getting sick and you're not going to be able to think about anything else, than maybe you should switch. But seriously, you can get sick anywhere.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

It is a virus potentially transmitted by mosquitoes, just like dengue or West Nile or Malaria. It is not an epidemic in St Lucia by any means, at last official word, 12 cases have been confirmed throughout the whole island. There are several more potential cases pending.

It is not something you randomly catch by touching someone ill or whatnot like norovirus or the like - you have to be bitten by a mosquito that is carrying chikungunya. And for that - you can take reasonable precautions: use a quality repellent, wear loose long sleeves/pants or cover up when possible, etc....Your odds of "catching" it are probably less than catching dengue while here (or elsewhere in the Caribbean) as it's not widespread (yet). As the Caribbean is a virgin field for the virus, it is receiving a lot of press. It is less harmful than dengue (not potentially life threatening), and less painful overall than dengue - and w/chikungunya, once you've had it, your immune, unlike dengue. And no one is cancelling trips over the possibility of catching dengue! (Which has been around and infects people every year).

There's no reason to cancel your trip - take reasonable precautions and you should be fine. Enjoy your trip!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Bon jou Kylep3,

1 June is the start of the Rainy Season.

Depending on where you are staying (wet or dry micro-climate) most of the hotels/resorts, B&Bs, vacation villas frequently fog with Malathion in & outside the property and offer their guests mosquito netting, ceiling fans/AC, anti-mosquito coils, etc...

The Chikungunya virus infection is spread by the Aedes egypti mosquito (small dark mosquito with white markings & banded legs) biting during the day in shaded areas and early evening.

You can naturally effective repellent at www.gocaribbeanblue.com

Bless up! Paul

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Yes I too am worried as I will be travelling with my 5 month pregnant wife. I have read that this outbreak is worse than reported in the media. Can anyone firm this?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,343 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

@ heranaway: don't know what else to tell you, the info is there below. Anything else is simply fear-mongering. You can check the CDC website for further updates, keep checking the Star St. Lucia and HTS St. Lucia news for updates. At present - it is not an epidemic or pandemic, there are under 20 confirmed cases on the island over the last 3 months, the island is fogging and spraying and running an education campaign to educate about the virus and how to mitigate.

It is not life-threatening, is milder than dengue, and confers immunity if caught (unlike dengue). Dengue has been around the Caribbean for a long, long time - and you have about as much chance of that as chikungunya - and no one is worried about catching dengue or cancelling trips due to possible dengue. (Your odds are very, very, very slim).

Take reasonable precautions (repellent, loose long sleeves/pants, mosquito coils, citronellas, etc), talk to your doctor about what your pregnant wife can do to protect herself without harming the baby, and enjoy your trip.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Bon jou heranaway,

The Chikungunya virus infection is present in St. Lucia, though far from being an "outbreak" or epidemic.

Cases may be under-reported only because many Lucians self-treat with bush remedies.

Bless up! Paul

Richmond, Virginia
Level Contributor
358 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

I had a moment of panic too, as we travel in July, but some additional research has calmed me down! :) I thought this was a really informative site about why mosquitoes are attracted to us, and some more subtle things we can do to deter that attraction.

…about.com/cs/howthingswork/a/aa050503a.htm

They don't love me, but they adore my husband... Am I a little concerned? Sure... but, I've not found anything making me feel our trip should be cancelled.

As for pregnancy, I can't comment, but otherwise, it seems healthy folks should take precautions and enjoy beautiful St. Lucia!

London, United...
Level Contributor
95 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Any updates on this virus? I am hearing more cases are being uncovered...

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,993 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

Bon jou heranaway,

There is very little chance that you will encounter the Chikungunya virus infection...

Currently mosquito levels on the island have decreased from 36 to 29%.

Pathologist Dr. Stephen King says it is an epidemic in poor communities where lack of piped water, toilet facilities and other amenities cause serious public health issues. The Ministry of Health's chief epidemiologist Nahum Jn Baptiste is asking the public to eradicate mosquito/vector breeding grounds.

stluciastar.com/poverty-plus-chikungunya-equ…

Bless up! Paul

UK
Level Contributor
6,391 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking about canceling trip due to virus

In my opinion there"s no need to be hugely worried. Sensible precautions will do a lot to protect you from bites which are annoying to get.

One general tip I have is to wear a pair of light weight leggings under maxi dresses in the evenings - that with some repellant really helps protect your lower legs!

Edited: 02 July 2014, 23:46