We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last minute trip, help needed please

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Last minute trip, help needed please

We have decided rather suddenly to go on a vacation June 17-24. I will be traveling with my husband and two adult children, 18 and 21. I looked at every Caribbean island and decided on St. Lucia because of the range of activities available and because it looks exotic and gorgeous. I'd be happy to sit on a beautiful beach, read, and snorkel occasionally, but my kids like doing something every minute. They would like to scuba dive, zipline, climb the mountain, sight see, do a rum tour, etc.

I'm interested in an AI package for the water activities and because the kids like to be able to order whatever they want, whenever they want, without worrying about Dad being there with his wallet. None of the AI resorts seem ideal, but I've noticed that some hotels offer AI as an add-on which would be a great choice. I've read reviews and researched a lot on these forums, but there's conflicting advice. It seems like the areas in the south are much better scenically and for water sports, but then again I've read that many people don't like the Soulfriere region and prefer the Rodney Bay area because of the "vibe" and because it's where most of the action is. We'd fly into the international airport and obviously don't want to spend a lot of time going up and down, up and down the island all the time.

Of the AI's it sounds like St James Morgan Bay is the nicest but I'm not sold on it.

Anse Chastanet looks beautiful (and you can add AI) but fairly expensive and would it be too quiet for the kids? They aren't going to party all night, but we're night owls and we don't want to be somewhere where everyone is asleep at 11 or 12. Is there a place close to the mountains that would be livelier?

I'm looking for suggestions for a place that will be fun for the kids and close to adventures but also scenic. Any assistance would be very much appreciated... this came up quickly and I'm completely overwhelmed and confused. Thank you.

Treetop Adventure Park
Adrenaline & Extreme Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Morne Coubaril Estate
Historic Sites, Horseback Riding Tours, Farms, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures - Saint Lucia
Boat Tours, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
St. Lucian Taxi and Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Shopping Tours, Zipline & Aerial Adventure Parks
St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,801 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

Given those requests, Coconut Bay would be a good fit. Close to the airport (literally 5 minutes), closer to Soufriere (45 minutes as opposed to over an hour at St James), very recently rennovated - looks great, close to ATV in Dennery along w/excellent zipline course, mountain biking and waterfal swim/hike (Dennery). Only drawback is being on the Atlantic, so no watersports like kayak or tubing, etc. But the resort itself and location more than make up for that - plus the waterslides! Lol. Very long stretch of beach for strolls and sunbathing, and fine for swimming, but can be a bit too rough for watersports activities - except kite/windsurfing, excellent for that! Good food, good service, largish rooms, activities day and night, easy walk to local bars on Sandy Beach/Anse des Sables, proximity to airport and activities, long stretch of beach - could be a much better fit than St James.

Anse Chastenet is fantastic - but can be a bit quiet, no pools, and is difficult to get in/out from, unless you take water taxis - which add up quickly.

Enjoy, wherever you end up.

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

It sounds great-- except we stayed on the Atlantic side in Barbados last year and missed out on snorkeling, kayaking, etc, right at the resort, so I'd like to avoid the same mistake. We had a wonderful time anyway and did a ton of excursions, but it was disappointing that the water was almost always rough.

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

I had second thoughts... just checked and Coconut Bay is sold out that week.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,801 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

That's too bad. It's not anything like the Atlantic side of Barbados, just for future reference. It's very swimmable in front of the resort - they have large breakwaters to keep it calm. Just doesn't work for kayaking, etc.

There is no snorkeling off St James Club either - mainly, all the snorkeling/diving is in the south. St James is on a smaller, cove-like beach, and much further from airport and sights in Soufriere.

Take a look at Windjammer Landings - it's in the north too, but a big step up from St James, they have an all-inclusive meal add on if you want, several restaurants on-site, lots of activities, etc. Small reef (small) for a bit of snorkeling on-site.

One thing to consider perhaps would be either a private villa or villa resort. Check out Stonefield Estates in Soufriere.full service villa resort, close to all the sights and experiences of Soufriere. You can stock up on snacks, breakfasts and lunches, drinks to have at leisure and enjoy wonderful dinners out and about. And full housekeeping, restaurant on-site (includes breakfast in villa rate), front desk, etc. Could be a good fit.

Good luck!

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

Maybe Windjammer Landing?

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

Windjammer Landing reviews are pretty mixed. Yikes, this is hard.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

In the North, Windjammer or Bay Gardens Beach resort. Both have good beaches. windjammer is quite self contained and have a great Watersports staff who like teaching the kids to improve their skills. The food is ok and you have the option of a 3-day AI package. it is isolated in that it is 10 mins by taxi to Rodney Bay but the Estate villas with pools are well worth a look. bay gardens beach resort is very well located in Rodney Bay and is near lots of restaurants. I believe they have also started a dine around scheme which might give you some variety on the AI plan. Both resorts are solid 3 star IMHO. I own at Windjammer so have to declare an interest here but if you look at my past reviews I don't think I am biased. If you go AI there the Waterskiing is included too .

cap Maison is upscale and the villas are lovely. They have Hobiecat cats and kayaks. It is a quieter resort though. Small beach that has decent snorkelling in calm weather.

Down south Sugar Beach is probably your best bet. Lovely big pool. Good snorkelling but pricey.

Let us know what you decide :-)

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,526 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

In the North, Windjammer or Bay Gardens Beach resort. Both have good beaches. windjammer is quite self contained and have a great Watersports staff who like teaching the kids to improve their skills. The food is ok and you have the option of a 3-day AI package. it is isolated in that it is 10 mins by taxi to Rodney Bay but the Estate villas with pools are well worth a look. bay gardens beach resort is very well located in Rodney Bay and is near lots of restaurants. I believe they have also started a dine around scheme which might give you some variety on the AI plan. Both resorts are solid 3 star IMHO. I own at Windjammer so have to declare an interest here but if you look at my past reviews I don't think I am biased. If you go AI there the Waterskiing is included too .

cap Maison is upscale and the villas are lovely. They have Hobiecat cats and kayaks. It is a quieter resort though. Small beach that has decent snorkelling in calm weather.

Down south Sugar Beach is probably your best bet. Lovely big pool. Good snorkelling but pricey.

Let us know what you decide :-)

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,317 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

Hi,

I would have a look at Bay Gardens Beach Resort in Rodney Bay. Great beach (redruit), the liveliest part of the island, very nice hotel, a 1 or 2 bedroom suite may suit you. it has an offer on at the moment. Also it now includes non motorised watersports foc. I wouldn't do AI (BGBR do offer it as an add on) because there are loads of good places to eat/drink 5/10 mins walk away. Some snorkelling and hiking nearby eg Pigeon Island

STEVE

Shrub Oak, New York
Level Contributor
20 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Last minute trip, help needed please

That one is unavailable too...