We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Lucia or Aruba??

PA
10 posts
Save Topic
St. Lucia or Aruba??

Help, Im getting married in October but we can't decide on Sandals Grande, St. Lucia or possibly the Marriott or Hyatt in Aruba. We would like to go someplace clean, the people are friendly and you're not bombarded by people trying to sell stuff.

Boston
Level Contributor
120 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

Hello,

Congratulation on your upcoming wedding! We are going to St. Lucia in May for our 20th anniversary and will be staying at the Sandals Grand. We were there 2 years ago and loved it! We have also been to Aruba (Divi Village) last year with the kids. I really like Aruba, but it just can't compare to the beauty of St. Lucia. Aruba is not as lush as St. Lucia. Most of it is dessert. We did a lot of fun things in Aruba but just prefer St. Lucia. I have been all over the Caribean and my absolute favorite is Tobago. However, that being said, we wanted to go back to the Grande because we had such a great experience the last time we were there. I also really liked Turkes and Caico's. St. Thomas is very pretty too. (named my daughter after Magen's Bay) LOL. Glad you found these boards they are very helpful indeed. Good Luck!

Mary

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

hi and best wishes. i'm sure aruba will meet your 3 requirementd. however, we have travelled the carribean exrensively and found aruba to be rather like being ona cruise...we didn't enjoy it nearly as much as other islands.we do like to interact with the cultural aspects of island life and aruba di not provide that. cannot opine on st. lucia, but we will be going to soufriere in june for 7-10 days. we have heard great things about st. lucia's beauty and cultural aspects. aruba is windy, flat, not too green, if these things make a difference. in summary, i believe aruba was a little too "sanitized" for us. hope this helps.

London, OH
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

I am still confused about the type of ceremony you can have in Aruba. We were turned off when we read this:

"Civil marriages are now possible in Aruba, but they must take place at the Civil Town House. Couples may also arrange a religious blessing after they have been legally married or just hold a romantic celebration beachside if they prefer."

Look at this website, if you haven't already: http://www.aruba.com/pages/marriage.htm.

We were looking for a beach wedding....and this website made it seem like we had to get married in this government building.

Good luck with your decision.

colorado
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

i have not been to aruba .returned from st lucia feb.28,2005.i didnt stay at a sandals but saw the one way up north by pigion island and it looked real nice.on the public beaches there are people selling stuff and bugging you all the time we had to go to pigeon island to get away from them.but i believe this sandals has the only privite beach on the island but check it out.the jalouise hilton was really beautiful .we spent 2 days there

San Diego, CA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

Did a lot of research on where to go as well, and it was very hard to make a decision. I haven't been, but we finally booked a trip in June to St. Lucia. Looks beautiful and is close to the fregate islands - a day trip may be in store. We are staying at the Windjammer Landing. www.windjammer-landing.com

Congrats on the union!

London, OH
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

We decided to go to the Jalousie Hilton.

The wedding coordinator there is great and is allowing us to look around the resort property when we get there and decide where we'd like the ceremony to be. We'd like to get married on a beach, but don't want to have all these people around watching us. They supposively have some small coves on the property we may choose - - but, if we can't find anyplace, they're allowing us to travel to a more secluded beach off the resort property if we just pay the additional transportation costs ($70-$100). They've been really accomodating.

If you're looking for a really high class resort, though, from what I've read on these posts, the Jalousie Hilton may not be for you. It's clean and nice and all, but not as ritzy as the more typical Hilton hotel - - and people expecting that have been disappointed. It looks beautiful, though, and in a more remote location - - we're excited.

My brother went to Aruba for his honeymoon and loved it. He said it's beautiful and clean and they weren't hassled in any way. It's a small island and it's easy to travel around. However, he said there's not much nightlife - - if you're looking for that at all. We started off looking into Aruba, but were turned off when we read about the types of ceremonies you can have there - - and it seeming like we'd have to get married at the town hall (previous post).

Good luck with your decision.

Hamilton, Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Lucia or Aruba??

My husband and I got married at the Sandals Grande in St. Lucia on Dec. 28, 2004. It was exactly what we were looking for. Absolutely perfect and it was very easy. We were there for 2 weeks and on one of our first days there we met with one of the wedding coordinators and spent about 2 hours with her. We then enjoyed our vacation without the worries of any preparation.

Yes, the people are very friendly and I felt safe. It appears to be an island that is not as poor as other islands I have been to.

Also your question about people selling stuff. No beach in St. Lucia is private. Sandals tried, but by law in St. Lucia they cannot have a private beach. However, there were many security guards and they would not allow people to sell stuff on the beach. The security guards were a big deterrant and I did not see anyone try to sell anything to anyone. It was nice because it was adults only and only people from the 3 Sandals resorts were there.

I have travelled to several islands all over the world and St. Lucia is definately one of the most beautiful islands I have ever been to.

We definately made the right choice and the people who came with us to share our wedding day also had a great time.

Get answers to your questions about St. Lucia