We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Price & Rental Car

pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Price & Rental Car

Help! What is the current gas price and who can recommend a good place to rent a 4X4 vehicle? The hotel said the average price is $70/day - anyone have any experience with cheaper rental??? And do they make you fill the gas tank or return it the way it was (say you get it at a quarter tank, do you return at a quarter tank?)? Also, do you advise on the insurance on the rental? Someone said that if you pay with VISA that is covered, anyone know about that?

Looking forward to 4X4 excursions and adventures! Let me know your thoughts!! OH and have you driven from the southern airport to your hotel? That's what we are planning. Thanks!!

Minneapolis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Just returned last night! We rented a Suzuki jeep from Ben @ West Coast Jeeps. He picked us up from the airport as we were staying in Soufriere. Whatever they give you in the car as far as gas is what you return it with. I believe gas was about $2 a gallon, but the tank is only 8 gallons and the car is fuel efficient, we only filled twice in 8 days and drove all over the place. If you rent with Visa, you have insurance, don't pay extra.

Rhody
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Kell,

what was the price on the jeep?

Steve

Minneapolis
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

I believe it was between $60-$70, and it's a nice Suzuki "jeep" with a/c and everything.

Iowa
Level Contributor
177 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

We rented two 4X4 Suzuki jeeps, automatic with A/C- fit 5 people and a few suitcases, from Drive-A-Matic Car rental and it worked out great- they met us at the airport with the car. We returned car with same amount of gas and just left it at the airport with key in golve box- very easy. Charged it to VISA so atdditional coverage not necessary- check with your credit card company first to make sure you are covered outside the US. Did a lot of driving around the island and also only filled up twice I think. The price was about $75/day.

11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Trvlbuds, I find that the advice that you have received is accurate.Over the 11 years that I have visited the island,I have probably rented a jeep from about all the agencies that there is.I am glad to see that Ben's West Coast Jeeps has been reccommded.I have used Ben exclusively for the last 4 years.He has clean,updated equipment and attends to it personally himself.He has a small,family owned rental agency just outside Soufriere.His tele is 758 459 5457 and 758 459 7160 His fax is 758 459 5719 and his pager is 759 481 8014.He also has a web site that is stluciajeeps.com.Him and I are really good friends after this association with him and if you mention my name,you just my get a perk.I too will be on island next month and will be renting from him again.

The price of gas is $7.85 per gal in EC DollarsIf you divide that be 2.67 then you will get the American dollar equivalent.If you are going to travel around the island,one of your first stops is to a bank and exchange your foreign money into EC Dollars.American or other maoney is always taken by the people but everyone gets confused as to the right amount of exchange and I can assure you,you will be on the wrong end of the transaction.

Let me know if I can be of futher assistance.

Mark

pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Thanks to everyone for writing. My boyfriend and I were just saying last night that we need to finalize these plans as far as renting or getting the taxi service (we leave Wednesday!!!). I think it sounds like you would recommend renting a vehicle! I am excited about that because I've heard the roads were so hard to drive on. In your first experiences driving, were you fearful? Is it really that bad? Our thoughts are if we take our time, we'll be fine.

Someone said they got a ride back to the hotel from the airport before driving the jeep (Kell?) - Does Ben do this all the time and does it help you get familiar with the roads before tackling them yourself? Did you find it difficult to drive at night?

We'll be staying at Marigot Beach Club - can you give me approximations on how long it will take to get to Castries, Soufriere, Rodney Bay? And do you recommend other beach areas?

Again, thanks for everyone's help!

Sandy

pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Which vehicle should we get? What is the Vitara? Soft top or Hard Top? Or should we get the Jeep Wrangler? MORE MONEY though... is there a big difference?

thanks

11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Trvlbuds,

Whenever you arrive at the aitport,Ben or McGavin has always been there to pick me up and drive me to Etangs which is where the office is.Now,I do not remember if you stated which airport that you were arriving at.If it is the southern airport,Hewanorra,then this will be the procedeure.If the airport is near Castries,or the north,then they will make the exchange up there.

The southern part of the main highway has been under a three year reconstruction.It has been miserable.That now has all been repaved.Still some work on the berms and such ,but no real inconvienence.Seeing that you are from PA. it will be a bit intimadating at first to drive on the left side of the road.But it is really no big deal.Take your time while driving and everything will go well.Yiu will see many beautiful places and most are very photogenic.Don't be afraid to pull over to the side and take your pictures.You may even meet a St Lucian and make new friends.

By the way,I live near Pitt. and was wondering where you are from.??I plan on making St Lucia my home in the very near future.

Cheers,

Mark

pa
Level Contributor
71 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

Hi Mark.

Thanks again for your help! You sound like you love this island! I am excited to go! We live outside of Philly, so opposite side of the state, but hey, you are our neighbor!! LOL.

Do you recommend emailing Ben or calling him? And do you think we are late in setting reservations for Wednesday the 16th - THIS WEEK! I am hoping it's ok. We are flying into the southern airport and staying at Marigot Beach Club. Do you have any suggestions or thoughts about that area?

Getting more and more excited and appreciate any help we can get before we go!

Sandy

west. pennsylvania
Level Contributor
308 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Price & Rental Car

to soufriere mark, we are travelling to st lucia for the first time this summer and have tentatively settled on hummingbird. we have travelled carrib. quite a bit and enjoy cultural aspects of travel. anyway, have found your posts very informative and helpful.any insights on lodging and interesting off-the-beaten track activities is appreciated. we recently moved from wash. county. pa.