We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

Boston
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

We'd like to stay in one of these plantations during our upcoming family trip in the south of St. Lucia. We like nice rooms, beautiful views, peace and quiet, walks, and a good start off location for exploring the nature of this part of the island. Any preferences between the three?

Iowa
Level Contributor
177 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

I have stayed at Balenbouche in 2002 and La Haut in 2002 and 2006.

They both have their charm, but I would pick La Haut based on the stunning views of the Pitons, constant breezes and excellent restaurant. Get a room on the 2nd floor- they are spacious andhave huge porches with rocking chairs. The owners also have built a home on the edge of a cliff overlooking Soufriere with a sweet infinity ppol that they let my son and I use. I felt like I was on Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous.

That being said, Balenbouche also has its charm -as a former plantation, there are plenty of trails to explore and you can actually walk to 2 different beaches and explore the grounds. The owner and her two daughters were very gracious hosts. When I was there , we chose the breakfast and dinner package which was delicious and food is served on the porch of the plantaion house. You will feel removed from the outside world if you stay here -but for a few nights it was enchanting.

Hope this helps

London, UK
Level Contributor
196 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

I'd say, based on a day visit to Balenbouche, that staying there would be an acquired taste! It's totally 'different' from anything else I've ever seen! That's either good or bad, depending on what you want. The estate is very sheltered, it's a little walk down to the sea, and the houses and accomodation are in a sort of 'clearing', with huge trees towering, and some ruined buildings as well being restored, and the old sugar mill ruins. It's extremely atmospheric! But it's shady and enclosed. No views.

I agree the lady who runs it is extremely nice - she has friendly dogs too, who came with us to the beach! The beach is down a rutted track, maybe five minutes. it's quite rocky, and very 'natural' but I wouldn't call it particularly scenic.

I'm not sure the rooms are airconditioned, if that's an issue for you.

overall, Boulenbouche is like stepping back in time - I think it would be fantastic to stay there for a night or two, but I'm not sure I could cope with making in the centre of my stay on St Lucia. It's beautifully peaceful, but you ARE living in a 'historic site' so do bear that in mind. It's like no where else I've ever seen. But it would be a real epxerience to stay there.

Have a great time, wherever you end up! Jay

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

Have stayed at La Haut and had a tour and lunch at Balenbouche. Hands down, I would stay at La Haut. Although as others have said, Balenbouche has its charms, it is more comfortable and overall stunning at La Haut plus better located for more mobility. If you like B&B's where it is very, very, personal, you might prefer Balenbouche, but I prefer more independence and less of a feeling of being a paying guest in a home than at an inn.

richmond va
Level Contributor
299 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

Want to do La Haut for several days and something more beach resorty but still in the $200 range for the rest of the week. Any suggestions on place and transportation would be appeciated.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Level Contributor
881 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

La Haut is not far from the beach and they do offer (or did when I was there) free transportation to and from Anse Chastanet or another beach. If you have to be right at beach, Anse Chastanet may be in your budget, depending on season and specials. We spent many days there while staying at La Haut and loved the beach, the snorkeling and the lunch options were good. We were glad to return to the coolness of the top-of-the-hill La Haut for comfortable nights.

Iowa
Level Contributor
177 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

Surious-

Tellurian is correct about the La Haut transportation to the beach.

If you are wanting to be within walking distance to a beach and see a different part of the island with a bit more nightlife, I would suggest the CocoPalm in Rodney Bay- it is less than 2 years old and has a huge freeform pool, great restaurant and is a short walk to Reduit Beach (5 minutes). Also can walk to several restaurants in the area. After the remoteness of La Haut/ Soufriere, you might really enjoy the change.

I think it would fit into your budget also.

7. Re: Balenbouche, Fond Deux, or La Haut?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2009, 11:16