We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Buffalo
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Hello All,

I am planning to honeymoon in St.Lucia (July 2007), and am wondering if it is easy to purchase (some) groceries and alcohol on the island. I plan on booking suite/condo type accommodations, but if it is difficult to purchase these, or (WAY overpriced), then I will go ahead a book an all-inclusive.

Thanks!

Castries
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Where do you plan on staying?

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Most alcohol is either cheaper than it is in the US or same. The only items that would be more expensive are premium liquors such as single malt scotch and such. And if you drink something like that, I would say bring it with you.

If you eat "local" - in other words, locally grown vegetables and fruits; local fish, chicken and meats -- prices are same or cheaper than in the US. For instance, in the market in Castries you can buy fresh tuna steaks for EC$8. to $10 which is about US $4. But if you want imported goods -- potato chips, olives, pickles, etc -- you will find them more expensive.

There is a grocery chain on the island called Super J's as well as some smaller convenience type groceries. Super J's can be found all over the island. Proximity will depend on where you choose to stay.

Many guests who go the route of renting a condo or such, bring some of their foods with them to cut costs. You can bring in anything you want -- meats and such have to be frozen.

Dartmouth, Canada
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Searose is right. We rented a villa and brought one of those large storage boxes from Wal-Mart filled with basic foods, cereal, tea bags, toilet paper and such. In the centre was a cooler with frozen meats and butter and milk.

It was a good idea at the time, but Super Js had all we needed although the cuts of meat were different. Seemed strange buying Prince Edward Island potatoes in St. Lucia

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

You can buy basics like toilet paper, tea bags etc. I always tell guests to bring their own coffee - -then they're all set for the morning. What I was talking about bringing are things that are very expensive here and imported like olives, pickles, etc. Pasta can be bought here -- but it's easy to pack. They have cereal but if there is a special kind you like, you may not find it here. Years ago we could not get fresh milk; now you can -- -tho sometimes they are out. Eat local -- that's the best!!!

London
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

Oh goodie, fresh milk back on the island. About time too!! Beausjour Farm used to produce it but not for a while.

JQs and Julians Supermarkets will stock all you need and alcohol is a lot cheaper there than in the resorts. Nearly all meat will be frozen unfortunately. Tuna can be bought from Castries Market if you get up fairly early as well as balaloo ( a small local fish) and Jackfish which is delicious. Castries market is best for fresh vegetables. Beware the local hot pepper sauce which is VERY hot!

We stay in a villa and always make our own breakfasts. We bring our own tea (being from England).

All-inclusives are OK but you would be missing out on what the island has to offer!

There are quite a few small self-catering apartments and villas in St Lucia. The tourist board has a list.

We often stay at Windjammer and have a kitchen with cooker, microwave, fridge freezer etc so it is fairly well kitted out. Some other places have mini-kitchens.

6. Re: Buying groceries and Alcohol in St.Lucia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2009, 02:20