We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Hello All. I recently booked our honeymoon to St. Lucia and was wondering if anyone could answer my questions. I have read many of the other posts and thank all of those who contribute. The information is great.

1. Do they serve any other beer other than Piton at Sandals? I have heard that it is a great beer, but I have never tried it so who knows. I am going to try to find some here just in case its the only one and try it out. Oh and is Bottle, Can or Tap?

2. Scuba Diving. I read that you can get "hotel" certified while there and go on dives down to Thirty feet. Has any one done this and is it worth it?

3. Is there any fun places to go have a drink in town?

4. What tours would you recommend?

Thanks for any replies.

Fredericksburg...
Level Contributor
395 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

When we were there (Nov 1005), it was Piton and Heineken, bottles. That was it. My husband is a Miller Lite man and he did not mind and actually enjoyed the Piton beer. He'd switch to liquor drinks when he got bored with the beer (and you CAN ask for top shelf, but you have to ask).

We did not do the SCUBA, but knew of one couple where the husband was already certified, the wife was not. The wife went through the hotel certification and they did not have a problem with it.

We did not venture off the property except for excursions.

Soufriere Adventure Sail is the best bang for the buck in my opinion (goes to/from the Pitons by Catamaran with land stops, lunch, snorkeling/swimming, music, rum punch and beer on the return). Land and Sea is similar, just taking you down the coast by vehicle and back by sea. And you are a stone's throw to Pigeon Island - do the hike and see the sites.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,464 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Hi Frank

I have never stayed at Sandals but do definitely go for the "resort dive" to 30 feet. They will give you some training and practical tests, like mask emptying and regulator swapping etc, basic hand signals etc and then you go on your first dive. If you are a confident snorkeller you should love it. I went on 12 "resort dives" before deciding to go for my full PADI as I preferred to do my theory and pool training in the UK and then Open Water in St Lucia. Saves time sitting around in hot classrooms when one could be out enjoying the sun.

Sandals do snorkelling and diving trips to Anse Cochon Bay which is wonderful for snorkelling and, Piton tastes great.

Have a nice time!

Johnson City, TN
Level Contributor
453 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

The beer is Piton and Heineken. The Heineken tasted nothing like what we have here in the states. Both were good beers. It is served on tap and bottle.

Unfortunately, I did not scuba dive or have a drink in town so I cannot answer these questions.

I would definately recommend the Piton volcano tour. You get to see so many great sites on the way and the volcano itself is amazing as well.

We loved everything about St Lucia and cannot wait to go back. Have a great trip.

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Thanks for the replies. Too bad the trip is still a long ways away, but each morning its one day closer. Thanks again.

Farnborough, United...
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Hi I would reccomend the Friday night party sunset cruise. Around $50 I think with all the beer/run punch and champangne you can drink plus snaks. But it is very lively,with loud music,but our parents in their 60's loved it.

the Soufire adventure cruise is good value $90 for a full day visit to the pitons, volcano, gardens plus with a good buffet lunch. Plus swimming in a secluded cove on the way back.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Frankthetank

We have stayed at the Grande and really like it. They serve Piton and Heiniken on tap and in you rooms (concierge) bottle. In the Pub they have Guiness on tap. I usually drink Coor light, but I like to try other islands beer when there & I really liked Piton. From reading a previous post the US doesn't get Piton (it could be shipped for an unbieveable amount).

I am a certified diver and enjoy the dives in St Lucia. But I am glad that I had done the book and basics before I went, so I didn't have to study and take tests there, when I would rather be in the sun. Many people do take the course at the resort. I never heard anyone complain about it. The dive shop staff are nice, knowledgeable and very safety conceincious(sp??) So IMO it would be worth it.

Be sure to climb Pigeon island. THere is a beautiful view. Bring a camera and water and try to do it earlier in the day. Also you may want to take the helicopter from the resort to the airport or vice versa.

Enjoy!!!!

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Thanks for the replies. NDBeachBum, what part of North Dakota are you from? I am actually from the Mayville area.

North Dakota
Level Contributor
546 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

FrankThe Tank

I'm from Bismarck. You yourself, being from the Midwest, can probably understand why I did most of my diving (written & 1 open water dive) in ND, then enjoyed the diving and sun on my vacations.

You'll love the Grande. We'll be there in Feb. When are you going for your honeymoon?

Fargo, North Dakota
Level Contributor
45 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

We are going at the end of December. Does anyone know what to expect for the weather and tempatures there during the day and night? Thanks again.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,444 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Grande St. Lucia

Weather will be great. Possibly a short shower during the day but it won't interfere with anything. Temps are in the upper 80's during the day and 70's at night.