We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

kellyconn7997
Level Contributor
55 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Want to experience them all. Can you tell me where I should go to eat and where not too. LOVE SEAFOOD.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Well it depends on what room catagory you are booked in and how many nights you have. Plus, food is so subjective...what I love you may really not care for.

That said, if you have a butler suite, take advantage of your free dinner at Gordon's at the Grande.

Our favorite at the Regency was the Piton. LOVED IT!!! Next would probably be the Arizona, then La Toc. We did not eat at the Pavillion (under renovation when we were there) or Armondo's for dinner.

Our least favorite was Kimonos. The food and chef (entertaining wise) was okay at best. The group we sat with was rather subdued and that can really make a difference in your experience.

I say, go with an open mind and a try whatever you are hungry for on any given night. Do make your reservations as soon after you are checked in as possible (La Toc and Kimonos both require them).

Have fun!

IrieLady

kenerin
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

We had the highest room catigory and really didn't get much seafood ( Shellfish) it is currently out of season there.

If you want, hire a private taxi ( $60) US to take to Anse Le Raye for the Friday night fish/seafood fry and have the driver stay with you. Its a poor fishing village and you will be hard pressed to pick-up a cab there.

But they close off the street by the beach and serve up the latest catch.

All the locals know about this event held every Friday from 6:30 to 9 pm.

Urbandale, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Our least favorite was also Kimonos. We love Japanese food but this was not impressive.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Our favorites, first to last for dinner:

Gordon's

Marios

Armondos

the Pier

Least favorite: Tuscaninis

Lunch:

Barefoot

Josephines

Beach Grill

Arizonas

Breakfast:

All buffets are mostly very good and the same. For a sit down menu breakfast, Armondos.

Advice. For dinner, choose five courses at the restaurants offering them. Appitizers, soup, salad, entree and desert. This is the way we take advatage of, and get value for the AI experience.

Take your time at meals. No need for you, or your servers to hurry. And get the name of your server and ask them about themselves. Make a new friend and see what happens.

Happy trails, Dutch

newjersey
Level Contributor
250 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

The Pier at Halcyon had the most delicious tilapia- had it 3 times when I was there Have not had lobster and there isn't much in the way of shrimp. thought lobster was in season jan-Feb but not from my experience-Where's the lobster?

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Marios at the Halcyon has excellent schrimp!

I believe lobster season is over until the fall. Not sure though.

Dutch

Colchester, United...
Level Contributor
272 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Hi

The Lobster is out of season in Jan/Feb locally and it is too expensive to bring from afar for general Menu,s as advised by senior staff at the resort, so cost is the issue thats why Lobster is so rare, although we have had Lobster a couple of times at the returns Dinners.

Happy days

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
293 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

It's good that you love seafood, stick to that and you will be better off! Unfortunately, Sandals will give you the appearance of fine dining while not following through with food quality. It's not bad food, it's just sometimes bland and doesn't come in large portions.

Of our recent experiences, the Pier at the Halcyon won out. The service was glacial, but the drinks kept coming and the food was fantastic. It also helps to have the views out over the water. Toscanini's at the Grande also had good food with pretty poor service. The antipasti bar was excellent though. Our other dinner experience was at Arizona at the Regency. It wasn't good. It had the typical slow service, but the food was pretty unimpressive. I didn't expect much from a TexMex place in St Lucia, and I was correct.

If you want seafood, check out Barefoot by the Sea at the Grande, the Pier at Halcyon and the Carribbean restaurant at the Regency whose name I can't recall:). Those places specialize in Carribbean seafood, which I found to be the best option at Sandals and St Lucia in general.

kenerin
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

Don't worry though. we had great Sea Bass, Halibut, Clams , Shrimp etc. World class , no , but good yes.

We were only disapointed at the buffet, so we just went somewhere else, no big deal.

We read reviews for along time before going, and heard many mixed opinions about the food.

And it really comes down to choose your attitude. If you look for reasons to be disapointed you will be. If you look for reasons to be happy about your trip/meals you will be.

I had a meal there that honestly was not good ( in taste) but , just being there with my wife and a wonderful island , cold pitons and a warm breeze. Can I really complain???? Choose you attitude:)

You will have no problem finding something that works for your seafood fix....

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Going to St lucia next month, staying at Sandals? FOOD

A previous poster mentioned small portions. Thi is true in the finer Sandals restaurant and is on purpose.

They assume you are going to have five courses: Appitizer, soup, salad, entree' and dessert. We have found that partaking in all five is just about right for us.

But, also remember that you can ask for double orders or side orders. It is all-inclusive. The wife ordered a side os sauteed schrimp to go with her main steak entree at Marios. They brought a full order of schrimp! She did not finish her steak. If you go hungry at a Sandals AI it is your fault, not Sandals.

Happy trails, Dutch