We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

First time in St Lucia -- which hotel? (Prices are comparable)

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

Both are in an excellent location, next to one another on Reduit Beach in Rodney Bay. I have not stayed in either, but have visited both. I would say both are good.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is the newer of the two. Rex St Lucia, which is next door to Rex Royal, is in my opinion in dire need of refurbishment. I do not think Rex Royal is as bad as it's sister hotel, but there is the possibilty that you may find some things a little dated.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort always seems to be the busier of the two, with more people and more young children. If you like less crowded venues, maybe you might prefer the Royal.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

Hi, I agree with Sunlover. I have stayed at The Royal and loved it. It is tired but the swim up bar and grounds are lovely. They also have Chic restaurant there which is wonderful for a treat.

However Bay Gardens is new and although I have only been in reception looks smarter. If it were me if I was travelling with children I would choose Bay Gardens if not it would be Royal.

Enjoy wherever you go.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

The Royal is nice, if a bit 1970s but plenty of space. Bay Gardens Beach Resort is great if you have kids, so I agree with Jessamies.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

I have seen rooms and resort in both but stayed at neither. I love the Royal's grounds but the rooms are tired and old and have needed refurbishment for years. Bay Gardens Beach Resort is new within the past 2 or 3 years, the rooms are modern with a contemporary flair and the resort itself is peaceful and beautiful. So, I would choose Bay Gardens Beach Resort.

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

Hi kl237,

Everything that has been said above is correct and it is a close call. I have stayed at the BGBR and it is a fantastic hotel with wonderful staff in addition to the newness etc.

The one thing that I would add is that if you are going for an Ocean View room at BGBR these are 10 yards from the beach and 25 yards from the sea and spectacular. The Royal is slightly further back with a relatively large garden between the rooms and the beach/sea.

You will enjoy either and the Island in particular.

Not sure when you are travelling there are some good deals to be had at the moment

STEVE

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
124 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

No kids -- young couple in late 20s, is Bay Gardens Beach Resort a good fit?

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,087 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

I believe so but it does depend upon exactly what you want . BGBR is relatively small at 84 rooms (I think). VG quality rooms, excellent staff and pool and right on the beach. The restauarant is good without being exceptional but the big plus point is that you are 5/10 mins walk from so much choice.

There are many couples of your age and older. Some with kids but the majority without.

There is some "low key" entertainment eg one/two piece musicians/singers, steel band etc at various times in the week but not loads of it and no pool activities so if this is what you want it is not for you.

If you just want to chill out at the beach/pool, do some watersports perhaps and eat/drink well and have a very nice room IMO the BGBR is the one for you.

BIG STEVE

8. Re: Royal by Rex OR Bay Gardens Beach Resort?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2009, 05:19