We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grangemouth...
Level Contributor
477 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
"You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

Hi there

My wife & I like to organise our trips/tours well in advance for our annual holidays in the West Indies

This year we are going to Antigua (all tours organised), 2010 its Grenada (tours organised already!!!) & 2011 it’s looking like its either St Kitts or St Lucia

We were wondering if any previous visitors or locals could answer the following questions -

1 Historical sites - Naval, local history, plantation/slavery days etc - which are the best to visit?

2 Castries - what are the most interesting things to see/do there?

3 Cricket ground - is it possible to visit the Beausejour Cricket Ground? And if so does it have a souvenir shop where we could purchase West Indies merchandise?

4 Reliable tour operators - can anyone recommend any good & reliable tour operators (with contact details/prices if possible) who are able to visit our hotel to discuss tours with us or would it be cheaper to hire a local taxi driver to take us on private tours around St Lucia? - If so can anyone recommend one (contact details if possible?)

5 Is it possible to visit a local school or an orphanage to distribute pens, pencils, paper etc to the children? - If possible can anyone suggest one that's not usually chosen by lots of tourists/tour companies ie Virgin, Thomson, Thomas Cook etc - we've done this before on holiday and find it very rewarding

I hope that anyone out there in Tripadvisor land can answer these questions

Many thanks

Hollywood
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

1 Historical sites - Naval, local history, plantation/slavery days etc - which are the best to visit?

Read about Admiral Rodney (pretty interesting), visit Pigeon Island, La Toc Battery, Fort Charlotte, Fond Doux Estates if your in the south, it's a nice small tour, plus there was a major slave revolt in 1748 worth asking about.

2 Castries - what are the most interesting things to see/do there?

Fort Charlotte is in Castries

4 Reliable tour operators - can anyone recommend any good & reliable tour operators (with contact details/prices if possible) who are able to visit our hotel to discuss tours with us or would it be cheaper to hire a local taxi driver to take us on private tours around St Lucia? - If so can anyone recommend one (contact details if possible?)

Serenity, viator, mystic man, local hires (if you can work out a great deal).

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
764 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

1. There is also an old battery in the La Toc area near Bagshaws Studios.

2. I love Castries market - go on a Friday or Saturday morning as early as you can - -they are open at 4 or 5 AM!! tho I am never there that early --- and just walk around and talk to the ladies about all they are selling. StLucia grows so many diverse items and some you will never have heard of. It's open Mon - Sat but those two days are busiest.

I also tell visitors to tour the Catholic Church right in town --- it is very interesting and a cool spot tho not air conditioned.

3. Am not sure if you can tour the cricket grounds but do not think they have any shops open unless there is an event.

4. You will get your best prices if you contact someone independent of a tour operator -- most are well qualified to guide you. But this is where everyone is different and you have to ask yourself if doing it independently is the way for you If you search this site, you will find many tour operators or independent drivers recommended.

5. Many will tell you of specific schools but I would say, go to a local school near where you are staying -- unless you will be in the Rodney Bay area. Go to the countryside --- if you are in the south, there are many spots that would be happy to have donations. But if you are in the north, go a bit south to a village like Jackmel or Maingot Combined or Canaries or Anse La Raye. Pencils, pens are always needed. Kids have to supply all their own.

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

According to my opinion the most beautiful places and must see attractions in St. Lucia are the famous Pitons (Soufriere area), Marigot Bay and Pigeon Island. I’ve visited/seen most of the attractions, churches, towns etc. in St. Lucia but the three places mentioned above are with no doubt the most beautiful, according to my opinion.

Castries is a small place and it should take you no more than 2-3 hours to see it all. It isn’t a nice, clean city but if you decide to go there, make sure to visit the Castries market and the Catholic Church. I’ve been to Beausejour cricket stadium but didn’t see any stores selling souvenirs. The stadium is usually quite dead, you see locals and vendors there only when they have some events going on. You can use a tour operator to go on different tours, although I’d recommend hiring a private taxi who will take you around, as then you can choose the places you’d like to visit and spend as much time as needed in a specific place. Most of the taxi drivers do private tours on a daily basis. However, if you’re interested in group tours, you can check:

http://www.barefootholidays.com/

https://www.serenitytvl.com/

http://www.sunlinktours.com/

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

According to my opinion the most beautiful places and must see attractions in St. Lucia are the famous Pitons (Soufriere area), Marigot Bay and Pigeon Island. I’ve visited/seen most of the attractions, churches, towns etc. in St. Lucia but the three places mentioned above are with no doubt the most beautiful, according to my opinion.

Castries is a small place and it should take you no more than 2-3 hours to see it all. It isn’t a nice, clean city but if you decide to go there, make sure to visit the Castries market and the Catholic Church. I’ve been to Beausejour cricket stadium but didn’t see any stores selling souvenirs. The stadium is usually quite dead, you see locals and vendors there only when they have some events going on. You can use a tour operator to go on different tours, although I’d recommend hiring a private taxi who will take you around, as then you can choose the places you’d like to visit and spend as much time as needed in a specific place. Most of the taxi drivers do private tours on a daily basis. However, if you’re interested in group tours, you can check:

http://www.barefootholidays.com/

https://www.serenitytvl.com/

http://www.sunlinktours.com/

essex
Level Contributor
489 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

hi there, we loved st lucia.

there is a botanical gardens very near soufriere town.

ladera resort and its beautiful scenery from the dasheene restaurant on their premises.

across the road from ladera, the hotel chocolat 's very own cocoa plantation.

we stayed at the jalousie, i don't think you could better the location !

and our friendly taxi drivers we booked at the hotel reception went by the names of peter desir, or a man nicknamed ' superdave'. we felt quite safe in their cars, on the very windy roads !

whale and dolphin trips from the beach.

our trip to marigot bay, took quite a while, and we thought it not worth it.

yes, as another reply to your questions, the most beautiful things to see are the pitons, and we didn't get fed up looking up at them every day ! enjoy.

grenada, we done in 2006, waterfalls to see, volcano lakes, there is a cricket ground ( admission to it ? )

antigua, we are visiting later on this year, not quite sure what we will be doing, mainly relaxing !

6. Re: "You've never been to St Lucia unless you've seen/been...."

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 April 2010, 05:16