We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Topic
St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

Help St.Lucia advisors...

We are looking at different islands for next year...I am always interested in St.Lucia but Ohhhh the drive...my husband and i went there for our honeymoon and although we enjoyed the island esp. the Rodney bay area...we were aware of the looooong drive from airport to hotels...now we have a 6 year old and 1 year old in tow during our travels - how is this airport shuttle currently? We drove to our hotel on a "highway" which made the trip smoother but on our return to the airport we took backroads which was harrowing at best....and the driver was on his cell the whole time screaming about getting the cow out of the field ....which was actually rather funny - once the well being of the cow was established...

What are your thoughts on the drive currently? It has been 8 years? We dont want to be put off by something so simple but i also don't want to be mortified by a rough trip with two kids?

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
987 Reviews
St. Lucia
Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,424 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

Hi,

The drive hasn't changed since then. But your solution is to insist that you go the "highway" route and also if you are booking your own taxi pre book a suitable driver. I don't have any driver details but a search on here or other posters will no doubt come up with one.

STEVE

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

If you have the pocketbook for it, consider getting the helicopter shuttle to George Charles Airport in the Castries - gets you to the north end in 10 to 12 minutes and the scenery is spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

e have a new road to the airport in the south from Soufriere, and most of the main roads are now up to standard...things have changed a lot since you were here last.

Mentioned in this post
Soufriere
Soufriere
St. Lucia
Winnipeg
Level Contributor
127 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

We were just there lsat month and did the drive both ways. The highways were recently re-done for the world cricket championships. The roads were pretty smooth. The fact is that they're still windy and hilly. I loved the scenery but my wife wsa a little sick on the way to the resort. If you're really concerned about it and can put out the extra $$$ there is always the helicopter. it gets you past the most windy/hilly part of the highway.

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

The helicopter is fantastic. You'll have to pay full price for your 6 year old but the 1 year old will be free. It is expensive but well worth it.

Toronto
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

We did the drive this year with our 4 and 6 year old. They fell asleep right away, I guess due to the early morning flight. I actually thought it was an interesting way to see the island. Didn't mind it at all.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

I arranged to pick up a rental at the airport and drove to our resort. It was a fantastic way to start our vacation as it enabled us to stop at Dasheene for Sunday brunch and to experience Toraille Waterfall before we checked in to AMB. I got the rental for 2 days on arrival and again for the last full day of our vacation, so on the way back to Hewannora for our return flight, we stopped at Anse Chastanet beach early in the morning. My wife had a nice swim and I took some great shots. I had forgotten it is a black sand beach so that was a new & wonderful experience for both of us. As we were leaving the beach the sun started to hit and it lit up with the sparkle of what appeared to be millions of little diamonds. A perfect way to end our best vacation yet.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 19:53
Mentioned in this post
Toraille Waterfall
Toraille Waterfall
419 Reviews
St. Lucia
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
1,244 Reviews
St. Lucia
Rehoboth Beach...
Level Contributor
4,632 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

There is a smaller airport on the Island. We flew into it when we stayed at Rendezvous. Look into flying into it......Our hotel was literally 2 minutes away...

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

Yes, that airport is in Castries and is SLU. Might want to check flights into there. Usually there's a layover in San Juan or Miami. But from there to Rodney Bay is only about a 15 min. taxi ride

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
San Juan
San Juan
Puerto Rico
Rodney Bay
Rodney Bay
987 Reviews
St. Lucia
Toronto
Level Contributor
1,173 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: St.Lucia - but oooh the drive?

Wow you guys are brilliant - and now I am wondefully overwhelmed with great ideas to consider...

Thanks... there is a chance the kids will fall asleep yes - i just worried after the long flight it may be pushing it....but it is still the most straight forward choice...how much do you all think the helicopter is? I do love the idea of renting a car but there will be 4 aduilts so it would have to be a van - still maybe ok....

I will also look into the airport further north as well - I forgot about that one - I will explore that too!!!

Thanks!