We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
detroit
1 post
Save Topic
Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

My husband and I are considering a trip to Windjammer in Feb. We have two children (5yrs and 2yrs) and can only find flights into Hewanorra Airport. We see that it's 40 miles from the hotel. After calling the hotel directly, they said it could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1.5 hours to travel from this airport to the hotel. Can anyone who has traveled this route provide more accurate information? Thanks!!

lincoln park, mi
Level Contributor
911 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

I don't know the exact location of the Windjammer Resort other than looking at a map, but to err on the side of caution, I would say it will be closer to 1.5 hrs.

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

Hi, we traveled to the Windjammer in Sept 2005 with our children (1 yr and 4 yr). We were there on a timeshare trade.

We had reserved a Suzuki Vitaras and drove in from the Hewanorra Airport. We stopped for a late lunch right outside the airport before starting the drive. The drive took us about 2 hours. We stopped to at a waterfall on the way in to break up the drive. We got lost in Castries.

The Island and resort was beautiful. The kids loved our plunge pool. The 4 year old did the kids club one day while we went scuba diving. She wanted to to go back again. The younger one was too young so she used the nanny service and that went well to. The nanny was able to stay at the kids club so they could stay together.

Sorry, I gave you some extra information. If you have any other questions about driving, sites, or the resort, let me know.

Castries, St.Lucia
Level Contributor
508 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

Its more likely to be 1.5hours, but that depends on when you hit the traffic going out of Castries. If you reach there around 3-4pm you will take longer as the road north

is the main artery to the "dormitory" areas in the north and is somewhat bumper to bumper for a while, along the airport stretch particularly.. Dont be tempted to take the West Coast road, its much longer. The overall road surface is not bad (they are working on it)and is more likely to be 35 miles.

England
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

It took me about 1.5 hours to get to castries the road is winding so its not just 40 miles per se

Some parts of the road are fast, some hilly, steep and winding and if you get stuck behind a slow truck it will take a long time to get around so make time for about 2 hours to be on the safe side.

Im english so used to driving on the left wereas if american you wont be so used to it.

allow for that as well

as for car hire well if you are hiring a car fo heavens sake avoid AVIS at the airport.

see my earlier possts as to why I wouldnt use them again.it cost me $3532 for 17 days jeep hire and we didnt even get the jeep when we paid extra to make sure it was reserved.

there is an outfit called cool breeze that came highly recommended they will pick you up at the aiport and will give you local knowledge and advice here is their number along with others

Car hire

Hewanorra 454-7898

Castries 458-2031

website

http://coolbreezecarrental.com/stlucia/

others :-

Budget 452-8673

Courtesy Car 452-8140

Hertz 452-0680

Oakville, Canada
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

there's a helicopter service available from the airport in the south to the Castries Airport. Approx flying time 10 min. We booked this option for our February trip.

Rhody
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Drive from Hewanorra Airport to Windjammer

There is a somewhat newer bypass to the south of the city which will let you circumvent most of Castries. Make sure you ask the rental agency about this because it wasnt on any of my maps. As you reach the outskirts there is an intersection where you can take a right towards the city, you actually go left for a bit and then go right. It goes by the oil tank port. Much easier than going through town. I got lost in the hills above Castries after a detour.