We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia aftermath

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Irvine, California
1 post
Save Topic
St Lucia aftermath

I have plans to spend my honeymoon in St. Lucia at the Grande Sandals Resort and have been watching the reports that are coming out of there on a daily basis. What a tragedy.

I am concerned about going there.... At Thanksgiving. Is the island ready for tourists? How do the locals feel about tourists coming at this time? I do not want to offend them at such a tragic time in their lives.

Help..... need more "inside" info.

Thank you, Debi

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia aftermath

St Lucians feel like they want their lives to get back to normal as quickly as possible. Tourism is critical to the island, and they want to know that people want to come back and they can recover quickly from this.

The road from the airport to Sandals is now open again, the water situation is being dealt with...and I think your holiday plans will be fine. The beaches and the coastal areas are all relatively untouched, most damage is inland...

Royal Tunbridge...
Level Contributor
1 post
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia aftermath

We are suppose to fly to St Lucia Nov 16, we are staying at Bel Jou Castries. Friends have just returned and have reported utter devastation around Castries and beyond, they had to be taken by sea to the International Airport. They reported that there is no fresh running water on the island due to the extensive damage to the dam. They had water rationing in their hotel, with the swimming pool being drained to supply showers and toilets, doesnt sound like an island ready to accept tourists! Your reply would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia aftermath

Hello,

I am on the island right now staying north of gros islet and the are is very good there is no running water in a few of the places but I would strongly recomend to still come if sandals will allow you to come.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia aftermath

fireguy1997 - Glad you are enjoying your stay. Are your parents enjoying as well? Tell us all about it upon your return.

5. Re: St Lucia aftermath

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2010, 02:35
Edited: 11 November 2010, 02:35
Lethbridge, Canada
Level Contributor
158 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia aftermath

my folks made it and everyone is having a great time the weather is super hot longest rain shower was maybe 20 minutes. The locals are in high spirit and I am getting treated great as I am one of the very few tourists here. Other than water buisness is as usual here. (lots of bottle water here.

DC
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Lucia aftermath

I was schedule to arrive at the Almond Morgan Bay on Friday, and the resort has just inform me that they are closed. Is there any hotel/resort that you can recommend.

leeds
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St Lucia aftermath

Are all the bars open and busy in Rodney bay mate?

Is there any damage in that area ?

How did you get from airport to your villa and how was that?

Are you enjoying the piton?

Hopefully see you soon for a cold one!

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Lucia aftermath

"I was schedule to arrive at the Almond Morgan Bay on Friday, and the resort has just inform me that they are closed. Is there any hotel/resort that you can recommend."

I do not know precisely why Almond Morgan Bay is closed, however I do know that several hotels on the Island are closed. The area around Soufriere suffered terribly from mudslides caused by Tomas, and hotels down there were badly affected.

However, most hotels in the north escaped lightly by comparison, and most are back in working order. The major problem however is the water shortage. Some hotels have decided to close rather than pay the extra cost of having to truck water in. They found during the water shortage earlier this year that it is very expensive, and affects profitability.

Sandals Grand and Le Sport have desalinisation plants, so are not affected. Cotton Bay Village has a very large reserve water holding facility, and is currrently fully operational.

WASCO (the water company) are working hard to resupply water to the north. They now have road access, and electricity reconnected, to the main reservoir at the John Compton dam, and have started repairs to the pumps there. They are also looking at trucking water from there to a smaller holding reservoir in the north, from which the water supply lines to some of the hotels are in working order. They are hoping to have this temporary facility in place this weekend. Full repairs and operation as normal is expected to be a couple of weeks.

Auckland, New...
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: St Lucia aftermath

Just got off the phone with Sandals here in the UK and they have informed me that Halcyon Resort is reporting no ill affects from the Hurricane.

That currently have both water and electricity, the only issue they said we may encounter would be the journey from the airport to the resort.

They confirmed this was a result of the government restrictions in place, which are in regards to what times the roads will be open to.

If the restrictions are in place at the time of arrival, then the alternative arrangement would be by either helicopter or boat.

So, for any of you travelling to any of the Sandals resorts it would seem you will be able to enjoy your forthcoming holiday, for those of you not staying with Sandals, i would suggest calling your travel agent for the latest situation report from the hotel.

Anyway, i am off their on the 16th for two weeks and will report back on what it's like on my return.