We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

Grangemouth...
Level Contributor
556 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

Hi There

My wife & I are seriously considering booking the ‘Helicopter Transfer’ from Hewanorra International Airport to Vigie Airport (and also for the return journey) in St Lucia as part of our holiday next year as we staying at the Almond Smugglers Cove (now called Smugglers Cove & Spa)

We were wondering if anybody could help with a few questions if possible –

1 When the helicopter lands at Vigie, is there transport there to pick you up to take you onwards towards the hotel (and back for the return)?

2 Can the helicopter be booked for 2 adults only or do you have to share with our passengers?

3 As we are flying with Virgin (who else) do they transport the luggage from the airport to the hotel or do we have to take with us onto the helicopter?

4 Is the transfer really worth the cost?

We hope that someone out there can help with this

Many thanks in advance

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
St Lucia Catamaran Day Sail
106 Reviews
from US$122.99*
Free Cancellation
St Lucia Shore Excursion: Island Day...
27 Reviews
from US$113.00*
Free Cancellation
St Lucia Champagne Sunset Cruise
34 Reviews
from US$73.00*
Free Cancellation
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

you're responsible for your own transportation from Vigie - there are plenty of taxis

the helicopter holds 6 so they will try to fill it - you will likely be sharing

your luggage, except carry-ons, will be transported separately by van to your resort

you save a lot of time and the views are spectacular, especially up the west coast which costs $10pp extra

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

1. There will be a taxi waiting for you when you land. For the return you can ask your hotel to get a taxi.

2. It doesn't fly with only 2 passengers, you can book 2 but the other seats will be filled up by the company. It isn't economical to fly with just 2.

3. The helo company take your luggage by road, which can take 3-4 hours to arrive. So make sure to pack anything you need for the first few hours (swim suits, sun cream etc) in your hand luggage. If you don't want to lug it all around on the flight then have a carrier bag in the top of your suitcase, that you can easily take out at the airport and transfer to hand luggage.

4. It's well worth it IMO. Not sure if you're considering booking through the hotel or through Virgin or directly? It's usually cheapest to book directly on http://(www.stluciahelicopters.com and it makes no difference to your flight. I don't know if I would pay to do it both ways though... it's great if you can afford it but it's a lot of money.

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
672 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

Definitely worth it especially if either of you ever get car sick. If you email them through their website and ask to charter the helicopter for two I am sure they will be happy to quote you. Won't go through the other questions as they have been covered by the other posters. We travel to St Lucia 4 times a year and always take the helicopter so as you can see I am biased. Travelled by road once - never again by choice but that is just my opinion. Heard great things about the plans for Smugglers Cove and Spa, look forward to hearing your experiences. Any other questions about heli please ask.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
wimbledon, london
Level Contributor
44 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

The only thing to be aware of is that there are only 1 or 2 helicopters. If your plane arrives at about the same time as others and there are lots of people taking the chopper then you can have to wait around for it. We had to wait about 40 minutes to get one! I complained that there website didnt make this clear and they made a reduction on the price. I do not know if it has changed since ...

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
121 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

If you have children, get car sick, or just want a great overview of the island, you can't beat it. Having said that, I usually go one way by helicopter and the other by car.

Grangemouth...
Level Contributor
556 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

Hi there

Thanks very much one and all for the replies

My wife & I have not only decided to go ahead with the helicopter transfers via Virgin but will be doing it by return as well – what the heck it’s only money

Can anyone confirm the travel times between Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport as the Virgin brochure says its 30 mins (I presume this includes the transfer from Vigie to Smugglers Cove & Spa) but the helicopter says it’s 10 mins?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Toronto
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

flying time is 10 - 12 minutes

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

Congrats on booking the helicopter, you will not be disappointed :)

There is first a short transfer to the helo pad and then getting in, kitting up with headsets etc, then the flight time is 10-12 minutes. Then you get off, pay if you haven't already, and get the taxi. Total time is probably around 30 minutes from UVF to the hotel.

However you may have a wait at UVF, as we did. We were the only ones on our flight taking the helo so we had to wait for the next plane to land, which had 4 more passengers. So we were waiting at UVF for around 30 minutes.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
250 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

I've just booked my holiday to St Lucia for June and have decided to go for the helicopter transfer. We are staying in Rendezvous so the taxi at the other end will be a few minutes

How early do you think I should book the helicopter? Eary as possible since space is limited or am I ok to wait just now

Daisy

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Ontario, Canada
Level Contributor
163 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Helicopter Transfer from Hewanorra Airport to Vigie Airport

I've read lots about the helicopter but am still a bit confused on the luggage issue. We are staying at the Regency. Usually we take the bus from UVF to the Regency and the Sandals rep writes the room number on our bags and they go with us in the bus. But if the helicopter is taking the luggage separately how do they know who's luggage goes where? Can't we just take it to the Sandals desk at UVF and they transport it since they know our room number etc?