We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
23 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

We will be arriving in one week (Yeh! Finally). I know bug repellant is important -- I'm not sure how much to bring. Also not sure about how much sun screen. I've heard it's super expensive there.

Anything else I need to be sure to pack??

leeds
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

How fat you are x how many sunny days there is equals amount of suncream needed.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,567 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

sunscreen is really not that expensive here, just don't buy it in the hotel, grab some at the grocery store or one of the shops in the malls in RB. Same for bug spray - a bottle of Off! sweat resistant is about $20EC or $8US, not horrible. As you will need to re-apply sunscreen several times a day if you are out all day, either bring a lot (a bottle a piece) or simply re-purchase as needed. Same for bug spray.

Hollywood
Level Contributor
261 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

Depending on how long you ar staying (1 week or more), I usually recommed 1 bottle per person.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

St Lucia is only 13 degrees north of the equator so the sun is very strong. If you're fair-skinned I would recommend at least SPF30 sunscreen - I usually bring SPF30 and 45. In the past I found that the sun would be getting to me after the 3rd day so the SPF45 came in handy.

I always bring aloe gel (great for sunburns and as a moisturizer) and a small fist aid kit with some Lanacaine and Polysporin.

And we like to bring a small flashlight as well as insulated stainless steel travel mugs, which are great for both hot & cold beverages - cleaning them is as easy as a good rinse.

Edited: 28 May 2011, 22:34
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

We buy it at the local grocery store and don't find it to be too expensive. I don't check luggage anymore so can't put it in a carry on. As far as amount, we use 3 to 4 bottles for two weeks between the two of us -- 8 ounce size each. I've never needed bug spray on island but have used mosquito coils occasionally.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,398 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

You can burn on cloudy days too so bear that in mind! Remember to spray your legs during the daytime with anti bug spray as it stops the sandfiles. Imho, they are worse than the mossies....

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,002 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

We figure two bottles sun lotion for a week. And yes, it is very expensive if you buy it at your resort.

boston
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

I just got back and my husband and I went through a bottle of 30 and a bottle of 50 in 8 days....and we bought the 50 at the resort for $18 US. So BRING it from home :)

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for White House, Negril
Level Contributor
13,002 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

Ruby, that sounds about right on the sun lotions.

Oh, I forgot to say we have never brought along or needed bug spray on our past four trips to the WH, so I can't respond to that part of the OP.

Edited: 03 June 2011, 22:15
Castleford, United...
Level Contributor
929 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A silly question == how much bug spray & sun tan cream?

This is our 6th August holiday in the caribbean. For my husband and I, I always pack 1 bottle for every two days plus one extra. Half of them or 30+ SPF and the other half are 15 SPF. So for a 2 week holiday, we pack 8 bottles of sunscreen plus 2 bottles of aftersun. That seems like a lot but we never get burnt and come home with a lovely tan and NO lotion!

The problem that people have is that they don't put on nearly enough lotion and don't reapply. That is very dangerous in the caribbean sun!