We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

All booked!!!

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sosnowiec, Poland
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
All booked!!!

Hooray!!!

We've just booked our first trip to St. Lucia!! Having visited Dominican Republic and Antigua before, we are looking forward to another leg of fulfilling our Caribbean dream. We are gonna stay in St. Lucian by Rex

We are trying to be well-disposed towards staying in this resort despite of having read a lot of unfavorable reviews. Following the phrase-you get what you paid for - we got very attractive ( low) price:) -nevertheless we're excepting that some common standards will be maintained. So looking forward to it !!! We would like to ask you guys of any hints, pointers, pieces of advice as far as staying in Castries is concerned.

Thanks in advance

Regards Michal & Marta

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: All booked!!!

The St Lucian by Rex is on Reduit Beach which is about 15 minutes north of Castries. This is a tourist hotspot so there are lots of restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance. Reduit is one of the nicest beaches in St Lucia and like all beaches it is public property so you will encounter many vendors on the beach - a polite "no thank-you" is all you to say if you're not interested in whatever is being offered.

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
760 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: All booked!!!

I always think a vacation is all what you make it - and a good attitude like yours helps the most! Sometimes you can pay high prices and be very disappointed --- I'm sure you'll enjoy. Lot of great restaurants in that area. You'll be able to walk to them plus to the malls etc.

Take an island tour one day to see the southern end of the island ---

Maybe visit Cas en Bas which is to the NE of where you're staying if you're a "beach person".

Tour Pigeon Island which is close to you.

One day do the market in Castries

And enjoy!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,552 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: All booked!!!

we stayed at the Rex St. Lucian just last night for a 3-night get-away (from the south of the island, but hey - it was a staycation)

We had an amaing rate and to be honest, weren't expecting much more than a crash pad for some serious nightlife during the weekend.

We were pleasantly surprised. It is an old hotel - you can tell by the construction, room size and bathroom size. However, the room was clean, the patio was large, and the bathroom was somewhat recently rennovated. Nothing fancy, but definitely comfortable, And the location was great! Beachfront, easy wallking distance to everything in Rodney Bay. You are in Rodney Bay - not Castries proper. The town of Castries is about 15 minutes by vehicle from RB. There is not a whole lot to see in Castries proper - the Castries Market is interesting for a morning, maybe a trip out to the Vigie lighthouse.

Pigeon Island is another great day. About 10 minutes or so by vehicle north of RB, great ruins of the old British Forts, nice beach, restaurants, and SNUBA is available there. An interesting experience!

A day trip down the West Coast to Soufriere is a must - visit the Pitons, the volcano, the botanical gardens, maybe some snorkeling The Pitons are what the island are famous for - definite must see!

Enjoy your visit!

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: All booked!!!

If you're as driver I suggest you hire a car for a couple of days to drive down south and see the sights there and also to get to places like Cas en Bas and Pigeon Island. You'll save money by doing that over going on an organised day trip. Car Hire companies will deliver the car (usually a 4x4) to your hotel provided you have a 2 day minimum hire. They'll also pick it up from you again. We used www.westcoastjeeps.com and found them very efficient - we also used them for airport transfers.

Sosnowiec, Poland
Level Contributor
56 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: All booked!!!

Hello Guys,

Big thanks for your hints and suggestions. These are really priceless for us

We are planning on course to do must see trip to Southern-west part of the island to see Pitons, volcano and Soufriere. How much would it be to organize that trip-we don't drive so we have to rely on somebody:)

Any estimate prices if we wanted to hire a taxi for a day or go for a organized trip?

We are gonna look up other places mentioned by you like Pigeon Island and Cas en Bas as we haven't considered them so far. We would like to see as much as possible of wild parts of the island least changed by influx of tourism. I've read about some trips venturing into tropical forest-are they worth any consideration?

Probably knowing my lack of organizations skills we'll end up playing a lot of stuff by ear. We have to reckon with substantial expenditure on food as we are going on room only basis so what we have left will go towards any trips.

Once again I would like to thank you all for your time and suggestions.

regards

Michal

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: All booked!!!

If you're not hiring a car then maybe forget Cas en Bas but defintely go to Pigeon Island. You should be able to go there by local bus - someone may be able to help you with the details. The other way to get there is by water taxi from Reduit beach/Rodney Bay Marina. There's a pier by the Jambe de Bois restaurant where you can have a delicious Roti for lunch/dinner.

With regard to the taxi price for a day - I had posted about that in your other thread before I read this one - I saw someone report recently that taxi drivers were offering a day for $100/150 - I've found it - Post 4 -

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k4530…

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: All booked!!!

I suggest doing a land & sea tour to Soufriere - the coastline is spectacular. There are a number of good tour operators - Cosol, Seaspray Cruises, Sunlink, Barefoot Holidays, Endless Summer Tours, etc

madison wisconsin
Level Contributor
926 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: All booked!!!

Ditto GDBear's suggestion. Definitely see the sites of the South by land/sea. Also can suggest Exodus or Saluna Watersports on Reduit Beach next to Bay Gardens Beach Resort

9. Re: All booked!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 15:17