We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

littleton
Level Contributor
6 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

My mom wants to take me on a cruise in September to this area. Does anyone know what the weather is like? Are there likely to be hurricanes at this time? Is it the rainy season. We don't want to go if it's going to be rainy the whole time.

We have to make our reservations today if we're going to do this PLEASE HELP!

florida
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
769 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

September is hurricane season. That being said, it's the luck of the draw whether one will hit during your cruise. If you are going to be mostly in the southern Caribbean (like StLucia, Barbados, Martinique) it is not likely that your cruise would be a washout. Quite often the weather is wonderful. My suggestion would be to book it but take out a good travel insurance policy that will cover you for weather such as a hurricane. Check this site for other postings about travel insurance.

Saint Augustine...
Level Contributor
154 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

It is the rainy season, but still go. As far as hurricanes, it's really far south in the caribbean, so the frequency is much lower. Go & enjoy!

BPT
Atlanta
Level Contributor
424 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

Cruise ships will alter their itineraries last minute to avoid hurricanes. So worst case you might not see the ports originally planned/hoped for. This happened one Sept years ago to my brother/wife. They still had a great time. It's probably a less risky way to travel in September!

New Jersey
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

We are thinking of St. Lucia the middle of August but I am concerned with the "rainy season". Everyone says go anyway. What is rainy season like?

Nevis
Destination Expert
for Nevis
Level Contributor
6,939 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

Rainy season means there will be regularily occuring passing and widely scattered showers that usually last anywhere from a few minutes to about 30 minutes. The showers are more prevalant in the mountains than near the shorelines and in the early morning, late afternoons and into the evenings. It's not unusual for it to be raining in one area and be perfectly dry and sunny (during the day) a 1/4 mile away. Showers do not occure every day but there are more likely than not. Rarely are the intense or long lasting enough to put a damper on one's vacation. Of course, you are dealing with mother nature so there's always the possibility of a prolonged periord of wet weather anywhere in the Caribbean including St. Lucia.

Illinois City...
Destination Expert
for Palm - Eagle Beach
Level Contributor
3,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

St. Lucia was hit by a hurricane in 2004. If you go on a cruise the ship takes another route and you will not be able to go to that port if the weather is threatening a hurricane.

St Lucia
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

I just want to reply to Get_away_from_it_all and let you know that St Lucia was NOT hit by a hurricane in 2004!

As for hurricanes, we are safer than Florida and the Gulf of Mexico! The last hurricane St Lucia experienced was in 1980 and we only had 6 hurricanes between 1900-1980

I believe (but I may be wrong about this) that the hurricane everyone remembers from 2004 is Ivan and that actually hit Grenada, not St Lucia.

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9398419

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

reliefweb.int/rw/…

UK
Level Contributor
146 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Hurricane Season? - need info fast!

reliefweb.int/library/…nemo-slu-07sep.pdf

Thats it I promise :-)