We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving in St. Lucia

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
driving in St. Lucia

Has anyone driven the roads of St. Lucia? Was it difficult driving on the left side of the road? Were the directions easy to get to?

norfolk
Level Contributor
7,669 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving in St. Lucia

indeed, many people drive in st lucia every day!

there are not many roads; all the places you are likely to want to visit are on what is essentially a circular route from castries, with the exception of rodney bay and pigeon island which are on a 'spur' heading north.

the roads are generally not in bad condition, though certainly not what you would be used to in north america. more like rural england or ireland.

it is no more difficult to drive on the left than in is on the right. unlike some islands, cars in st lucia are right-hand drive vehicles so you maintain the accustomed position relative to the road - driver in the centre and passenger on the outside edge. most cars have automatic transmission.

pam

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving in St. Lucia

I've driven all 3 times I've visited. There's one main roadway that encircles most of the island, so it is pretty easy to find your way around, however, should you get lost the locals will help you find your way. There aren't that many roads in St Lucia and Lucians know the roads quite well.

Driving on the left side is not difficult. With a right-hand drive vehicle, you get oriented to the left side of the road - just remember to keep the passenger side to the curb. Most people find, the most difficult aspect is remembering that the signal and wiper stalks are reversed. I kept turning on the wipers when I meant to signal.

Generally speaking the main roads are in good shape but if you plan to venture into the hills, you may need a higher-clearance vehicle to negotiate some of the roads as some of them are in horrendous condition.

If you don't have an international driver's licence you will have to purchase a local permit for $20USD which is good for 3 months.

maryland
Level Contributor
162 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving in St. Lucia

Thanks

This sure ease's my mind.

NC
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving in St. Lucia

Ease's my mind as well. Thanks for the info.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,131 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving in St. Lucia

I rather enjoy driving in St Lucia on my vacations - I consider it part of the fun, but I doubt I would enjoy it as much if I had to do it everyday. The west coast roadway has numerous hairpin turns and a couple of switchbacks so it can take a long time to get places.

St. Lucia
Level Contributor
102 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: driving in St. Lucia

All great advice here. The one point I'd add is that driving on the other side of the road initially feels kind of odd and you may have a tendency to want to shift over to the right, especially at an intersection where there's no traffic about.

However since you'll most probably be driving to popular tourist areas you likely always find someone else on the road and that helps you keep on your side.

Good Luck & I'm sure it will be a fun experience...It's all part of a Great Vacation!

Boston
Level Contributor
3,893 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving in St. Lucia

I would suggest going to Youtube.com and watch one or more of the several videos that people have posted driving around ST Lucia. They relieved my husband's fears of driving on the island- which BTW, looks easier than driving on St John which he does fearlessly!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,735 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: driving in St. Lucia

I like driving on the left. Most people pick it up quickly, and the most common mistake is turning on the windshield wipers rather than the turn signal, as gdbear mentioned.

Vineland, New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: driving in St. Lucia

Remember to secure your International drivers license at the airport. It can save you from almost being put in prison, don't ask how I know!!

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: driving in St. Lucia

On the subject of International Driving Permits - I (or anyone) can get one from a AAA-office anywhere in the US for $15.

I've read somewhere that "An International Driving Permit must be stamped by Customs on arrival." Please confirm that this is NOT the case. After all a permit is already a permit.