We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Hi, I am looking for some advice please. In St Lucia for a 1 day cruise stop. I am trying to figure out which is a nicer beach to a couple of hours to relax and snorkel.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,444 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

They are both excellent, you will not be sorry to visit either one. If you are on a water taxi, you could easily visit either one. If by land taxi, I would go with Jalousie, it's an easier rod to drive out to it.

Enjoy.

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

I've been snorkeling in both and prefer Jalousie's (I guess I should say Sugar Beach now...LOL!) marine preserve because it's got prettier, healthier reefs and much greater variety of marine life. At the very end of where it's roped off there's a cave that you can also explore. It's really like swimming in an aquarium.

As the dive shop is on one side of the marine preserve at Anse Chastanet, I find there's just too much boat traffic for my taste.

Edited: 21 December 2012, 21:01
kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,944 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Agree with Reedprincess, but for different reasons. Jalousie has free sun loungers at one end of the beach, with a shop and a little bar for drinks (very reasonable prices) and public toilets. Also has a roped off area for snorkling.

Stunning sandy beach and I was astounded by the view of one of the Pitions from it's base.

Anse C charged us $25 EC's each to hire a sun lounger, but AC did have a lovely picture gallery and nice loo's ! Snorkling was from off the beach ..but what a lovely beach!

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Thank you everyone for all your input. It is so nice to hear other peoples perspective.

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

We visited the beach at AC when we were staying at The Jalousie back in 2006 - there was a charge for loungers then also so as there were 4 of us we choose just to lay our towels on the beach which was incredibly uncomfortable because of the heat radiated off the dark sand. The snorkeling was good but not worth the rough drive down nor the uncomfortable time on the beach. I have only been on Jalousie beach as a hotel guest so it's difficult to comment on that as a day tripper but mcpinder's experience as a day guest shows that it is just as pleasant an experience as being a resident.

UK
Level Contributor
145 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

We are on St Lucia now and spent today snorkeling at Ti Kaye, which may be more convenient for you if you are coming from Castries. It's about 2km down a roughish road, then you ask to be let in by the friendly security guard, and park right down by the beach. The hotel's sunbeds only occupy about one third of the beach, so there's plenty of space. We snorkeled the right hand end of the beach as it was calmer and the snorkeling was very good.

At Sugar Beach (Jalousie) they make you park at the top and you can only use the hotel shuttle to the beach if you are spending in the bar or restaurant. It's fine walking down, but a long steep walk back up again, which put us off.

Mission, Canada
Level Contributor
30 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Good to know about the black sand, I was wondering if that would be an issue. Thank you

surrey
Level Contributor
1,966 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

I probably shouldn't say this on an open forum but if you just wait for a shuttle by the Bayside or reception - there's no way they would refuse to take you up to the car park. I know they get to know their guests but you would be also be entitled to use the shuttle of you use the restaurant anyway.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

Here is my perspective: My wife and I preferred Anse Chastanet. The snorkeling, in terms of quantity and diversity of fish, was a bit better there, at least on the two days we were there, than Jalousie. Although, Jalousie was still very good, we heard from several locals that it is gradually getting worse. Jalousie has a drop-off which is cool, but it quickly gets very deep. (Not as cool as the drop-off at Soufriere beach). At AC, it has shallow coral and then slightly deeper spots so that it added some diversity as you can easily dive down 10 feet to see it. I really enjoyed some of the little coves under the cliff at AC which had some microclimates with really bright pink/purple coral.

If time is an issue, it will take a little longer to get to Jalousie, plus the walk/shuttle. Ti Kaye is definitely closer for you and was good snorkeling, but not as good as the other two, and was far more crowded with tours when we we there. The big pro to Jalousie in my mind is being between the Pitons, but you can still see Petit Piton from AC (and Gros on top of the Tinker trail in the plantation).

What really puts AC on top for me is that there is a second beach a few minutes walk away and trails through a plantation(Anse Mamin). This has more snorkeling on the north edge of this beach around a cool large rock structure jutting out of the ocean. We did not see a ton of fish here, but the coral was very cool and it was a fun, different kind of experience. I would highly recommend touring the plantation as well. We did the jungle (mountain) biking there, but were told that they don't stop people from walking around the property. It is a surprisingly flat area except for the Tinker trail which is a 1,000 foot climb to an amazing view. The ruins are beautiful and the whole area is very pretty. If you do the biking, which would take a couple hours, it includes a great guided tour.

As far as heat, The snorkeling at AC is a small area on the left side (south) if facing the water, which is shaded for much of the day due to an adjacent forested cliff. At Anse Mamin, trees provide shade right in front of the snorkeling spot. The loungers at Jalousie are in a small area in the shade, but there are only a handful, so they could easily be all taken when you get there and you would likely either be on rocks in the shade or in the sun on the sand. We got the last two loungers when we were there. The only time we were hot at AC was walking between beaches (5-10 minutes), which if we did again, we would just hop in the water before walking.

Many people complain about the road to AC so I was expecting much worse. It is only 3 km and really is not that bad. It is bumpy, but no real potholes and no clearance issues. The worst part is the first climb from Soufriere which is very steep and only wide enough for one car. But everyone just honks as they approach it from either direction, so cars stop and pull-off to the side. It is narrow in several places, but there are many pull-offs along the whole road, that we found it very easy to drive and did not mind it at all. Most of the vehicles using it are not 4wd and many are regular sedans, but our 4wd was reassuring on the steeps. Compared to some interior roads, like driving up to the Des Cartiers trail from Micoud (which had many potholes and often had no pull-offs or room to pass) or the road to En bas Saut (which was like driving 5mph on a rocky riverbed), it was a leisurely drive. The Jalousie road is certainly better, but is still extremely steep and has some narrow bends as well, plus the drive through Soufriere can be difficult if you are driving when it is crowded because the streets are so narrow with drainage ditches on both sides.

Either way it is great snorkeling and very pretty scenery. If going by boat, it would be easy to do both. Driving, they are maybe 20-30 minutes apart so that still could be a possibility.

10. Re: Which is better 1 day snorkeling stop Jalouise or Anse Chast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2013, 10:15