We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Which Castries hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Buffalo, New York
1 post
Save Topic
Tipping

I am heading for St. Lucia in about a week. I have not traveled much and would like any advice some of you seasoned travelers may have about tipping. Is it OK to tip with US dollars? Any advice regarding amounts would be helpful. I wish to be generous, but most of all I do not want to insult anyone because I am ill informed! Thanks, Beth

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,684 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

A complete answer will depend on where you are staying. In general, if you wish to tip extra above the service charge levied on hotel and restaurant bills, then US$ if fine, if you have extra cash. EC$, being the currency of the country, is good too.

There are a few resorts that have strict "no Tippping" policies, Sandals being one; in which case - they mean it, no tipping; employees can lose their job over it.

So, depends on where you are staying.

Buffalo, New York...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

Thanks! We are staying at Bayside Beach Resort and tipping is allowed.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

One thing that came up while I was there is tipping using a credit card. I was going to add a tip on top of the service charge on the credit card receipt and was glad that our server spoke up and said the owners just keep that money so we tipped her in cash. I'm not sure how standard that is around the island, but we tipped in cash for the rest of the trip even when paying with credit. We used whatever we had at the time $US or $EC.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

Bon jou Beth L,

It's standard practice in St. Lucia.

Employees, no matter how highly recommended by guests, either don't receive the gratuity charged to you or it is divided among sooo many employees that any benefit is negligible.

Tip whatever feels right to you... USD or XCD cash-in-hand and off-premises.

Bless up! Paul

Buffalo, New York...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

Great advice from both of you! Thank you!

Level Contributor
287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tipping

I stay at Windjammer where 10% is added on automatically. I add on another 5% to make 15. Is that what most people do???

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,867 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Tipping

Bon jou lobsterlovers,

Yes, most visitors are appreciative and generously add on more than the automatic gratuity.

Whether the service employee you intended it for receives it (in whole or in part) is another story.

Bless up! Paul

Level Contributor
287 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tipping

Paul, I think we're going to go cash tips this time thanks to your insight.

I do recall a server at Spinakers telling us that"s what happens there. When we started tipping in cash, we had some new friends fast!!

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
287 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tipping

We always have a shed load of $1, $5 and $10 bills wherever we go on our travels just for tipping and knick knacks/ souvenirs

Everything else goes on card

Georgetown...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tipping

I really love the strict NO Tipping rule. Guilt Free Vacation. This is a big reason I wont go back to Jamaica...Begging and Guilt trips everywhere.