We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Atlanta
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Everyone on this board has given me such good advice, I thought I would see which restaurant might be a better fit for us. I had always wanted to eat at Coal Pot (this will be our 6th time in St. Lucia), so I thought this would be our chance. Now I'm considering passing it up for Pink Plantation House based on some input on a previous post.

We are going to lunch as a part of a transfer to the north (from Stonefield to Body Holiday) after visiting Diamond Falls in the south. We are not wanting the lunch to take 2+ hours, since we will be wanting to get to Body Holiday, but we do want great food, great atmosphere, and a nice Castries experience. We are traveling with first-timers.

1. Which restaurant will be more $$ for lunch?

2. How many entrée choices are there at Pink Plantation (looks like 2-3.) Are the sides "family-style"?

3. Can you really see the harbor from the table or is the view of the gardens and the panoramic view is from the grounds of the property?

Thanks, everyone!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Irie, shamrock317,

1. About the same price

2. More choices

3. Yes, you can see Castries Harbor

Big up! Paul

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Have you seen the balcony shots on the Pink Plantation House facebook page or Mikeal Lamber's wedding blogspot, might give some idea of the properties ocean distance/view in the isle photo.

…blogspot.com/2012/06/wedding-of-jody-todd-9…

The Pink House looks charming...

Atlanta
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Yes I've seen those pictures. It just looks like an obstructed view if you were sitting down at a table.

So the consensus is to go to Pink Plantation House???

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

You do know, shamrock317, that Bob & Michelle Elliot also owned/managed The Coal Pot in Vigie... now in the hands of daughter & son-in-law Xavier... of course!

More photos on Facebook... facebook.com/pages/…109200252454573

Big up! Paul

Atlanta
Level Contributor
95 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

I did read that information. Thanks for the picture links. I know we can't go wrong either place. But still contemplating which one to visit. Is the service at Coal Pot as "leisurely" as Pink Plantation House? I don't have a problem with island time, but I know I don't want the meal to be more than 2 hours long.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,049 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Irie, shamrock317!

You will be well-served at either one.

Still, to be sure, tell them your group is on a schedule.

Big up! Paul

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,457 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

shamrock,

IMO there's not a chance, I would change my plans, if you've always wanted to eat at Coal Pot!

Toronto, ON
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Mmm, the Coal Pot is so good. I've never been to the Pink Plantation House but if you've always wanted to eat at Coal Pot I say go for it! You can add the other place on your list for next time (and it sounds like you quite like St Lucia so there will be a next time).

I'm going back to St Lucia in a couple of weeks so you've given me my first craving. I know where I'm going to eat!

Forest Hill...
Level Contributor
88 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

Shamrock,

I've eaten at both places multiple times. If you want a truly special dining experience go to the Pink Plantation House. Michele Elliot runs PPH and does a fabulous job. The food, service and atmosphere is phenomenal.

The Coal Pot is hit or miss. Since Xavier opened his "new" venture in the Baywalk Shopping Mall in the heart of Rodney Bay Village, now being called the “Coal Pot in Rodney Bay” he has neglected the Coal Pot and it is not as nice as it once was.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,513 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Coal Pot or Pink Plantation House?

I would agree with the last comment. We loved the pink plantation house and the good basic food. The coal pot, on our last two visits, was rather hot and miss and we had problems with overcharging and double charge on my credit card. The pp house is very atmospheric and one gets a real sense of history. The coal pots location is magical at night if you can get a table right by the water and watch the fish and land crabs but the service and food has been variable ....

We went to the pink plantation at lunchtime and watched some hawk type birds flying to trees nearby plus humming birds visiting the plants in the garden. I bought binoculars with me and it was well worth it. You are also very near Caribelke Batik which has some great stuff...

Edited: 09 June 2013, 19:01