We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visiting Laborie by bus

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
visiting Laborie by bus

I have been curious to visit Laborie (sp?) for some time, is it possible to take the bus from Casteries in the morning and return by bus in the late afternoon, it would be during the week, not a weekend. Also once in Laborie is it easy enough to find the reef that I believe is located off the beach and can you swim to it easily? Also any suggestions for a place to stop in town for a local lunch or a popular rum shack would be appreciated.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Yes, pretty easy, only one bus change in Vieux Fort. Take the Castries-VF bus down; once in VF head to the Laborie-VF bus stand, which is actually in VF (as opposed to outskirts), near the Chinatown, bakery, etc (ask any one on the street, or the Castries bus driver - they'll point you in the right direction). Bus leaves when full of course, and drops you right in the heart of Laborie by the market square.

From there, very easy to hit the beach. Head towards the ocean through the square, then hang a right and walk along the beach past the fishermen's lockers and boats, past the playing field, past Mirage beach house and you'll be at Rudy John's beach park, which is lovely with shade and picnic tables, etc. The reefs are all out from there - you can see a few of them from shore, or take a walk up the stairs of the craft center for a more elevated view and check out where a few more are at - and then go for a swim! Or talk to one of the local fishermen to take you out as a few are pretty far from shore.

For eats, there is a small snack bar at the top of the craft center, mainly cakes and sweets, but some hot dogs and burgers. For better options, head back into town, either by the road or the highway. Mama Rose's (the place that is painted like a Piton bottle) right by the square, Clue's (officially Zoe's Restaurant, but no one calls it that) for chicken & bake or roti or other lunch bites (blue shack that you can access from the road or the beach - by beach, head back toward town to the playing field, cut in towards the bright blue house, take the stairs up), Big Bamboo, Ann-Marie with great rotis is near the bridge in town, plus several small places that have no real name but great lunch snack eats. For a full meal though, Mama Rose's (frequently called Adon's or Quill's after the brother/sister who run it) is your best bet. Keep in mind - pretty much everything is closed Sunday and Monday!

Enjoy your visit! www.ilovelaborie.com for more info on the village, places to eat, etc. Not totally up to date, but still some good info.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Bon jou Sunset_Sammy_10,

Not to miss Zeb's Creole Bread... baked twice-a-day 6-7 AM and 3-4 PM in an old wood-fired oven on the road parallel to the beach, a short walk towards the village (south) from Zoe's/Clue's.

From the higher elevation of the West Coast Road/Laborie-Vieux Fort Highway you will be able to clearly see the reef passage to anchor spots the village dock.

When you head back to Vieux Fort (and Castries) in the late afternoon 4 - 5 PM you may have a better chance catching a minivan heading to VF from Soufriere & Choiseul at stops (no waiting to fill up the van) on the West Coast Road/Laborie-Vieux Fort Highway, not in the village.

One stop is across the road/hwy from the Craft Center and one is at the gap to Banse (further out in the countryside) by the same gas station where your minivan turned down coming into Laborie village (ask the driver).

Bless up! Paul

@ reedpricess... Zoe's/Clue's a shack?! Simple, maybe, also spacious, quiet, clean, comfortable, light-filled and has the best Kweyol fish plate in town, trust me!

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Yes, Clue's is a shack, painted a dull, fading blue, where he still makes and serves his chicken & bake; shares the yard where he also built Zoe's restaurant, which is bright blue and block construction with tables, chairs, restrooms and nice balcony. So yes, both a shack, andthe nicer building with indoor/outdoor seating, view, etc for more of a meal.

And personally, I prefer the fish plates from Adon's (Mama Rose's), but Clue's/Zoe's does do a good one also.

Edited: 20 November 2013, 20:14
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Thank you both very much, I am looking forward to checking the town out for a possible future stay. The local resturants/food shacks sound exactly like what I am looking for.

Just to clarify to return to Castries I would have to go by way of Vieux Fort and then transfer to a Castries Bus, approximatly what time does the last bus leave from VF to Castries? Also would it be easier to go to Laborie from Soufriere, since I will be there for a couple days in January?

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Irie, S_S_10,

Advantage to VF is more minivans going in & out.

From Laborie you can get to Castries via VF (east coast) OR Soufriere (west coast) IF you time it right.

Last bus VF->Castries usually +/- 6 PM, can be later but don't depend on it.

Fills up fast with workers, students, shoppers (loaded up) returning home to communities along the way.

Prepare to be rushed & elbowed...

Visit in January from Soufriere mo'betta...

Take the Soufriere-Vieux Fort minivan (on the square), get off at Laborie's Papel Craft Center (be prepared comes up quick around a corner as driver accelerates for climbing hill), or about mid-way where a small road heads down or at the top of the hill at the Banse gap/gas station and walk down long hill into village.

Bless! Paul

Edited: 21 November 2013, 13:58
Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Sunset Sammy uesd this as the mesages not going through.. Its on the waterfront by the almond tree where the taxi drivers play dominoes. I an actually opening a new store in Ladorie...small world

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Looking forward to seeing your new shop in Laborie Debbie! will it be at the Papel? Or somewhere else?

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Taken the lease on Riverside for a local crafts/painting type Art Cafe. Putting locally made crafts like painted calabash,hand made banana paper paintings, and zaka masks in there. There will also be good quality local snack food in there like roti and dahl, trying to bring cassava from plas kassav, maybe home made ice cream, coconuts, fresh local fruits etc. and also smoothies made with organic plants like moringa, bitter melon, noni etc Opening up the side garden so people can sit off the road and will try and get something in there for the kids.

So all those people missing me can check in or out on their airport run! And still pick up their cuban cigars of course.

I am not supposed to advertise on here, but the question was asked!

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Thanks Deb, I am looking forward to checking out your new shop. I still get a lot of compliments on the banana paper painting I bought last year

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,027 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visiting Laborie by bus

Excellent, will keep our eyes open for you Debbie, and stop in soon. Thanks for the update!