We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

We am planning a trip to St Lucia over the Christmas holidays for 6 nights. We are in the 40s/50s age bracket. We prefer ocean to poolside. I would like to be able to find beach chairs and towels (I am an early riser). My husband wants to spend time in the ocean - he prefers no rocks/seaweed/crashing waves. We do not do watersports, snorkle or dive. I like a bit of a stroll on beach (loved Sandals Antigua). We like jazz or piano playing over club music for entertainment. We do not do activities at the pool. We enjoy upscale dining options at 8pm or 9pm (prefer little stress of over booked or hard to come by reservations). We are not so fussy about sushi but prefer seafood and local fare. We loved the ambience at Gordon's on the Pier (Sandals Royal Caribbean) and Stewfish. We sometimes go off resort for an extravagant meal. I know we will likely visit the other 2 resorts at some point for a beach day or dinner. The option to visit other resorts is definitely a plus.

Based on reading other reviews, my inclination is towards Sandals Grande for the wow factor but it looks quite pricey - especially over the holidays. Ideally we would book a concierge level suite as we prefer room service option and replenished well stocked bar in the room. An impressive room might be nice but we do not spend much time in the room so it is not the number one concern. I think La Toc may be a better value but I am leery of the hills/terrain. My husband is not one for walking on hills or up stairs constantly due to medical reasons and so we would rely on the carts and shuttle. Any thoughts on whether this a realistic option? I can see that La Toc is closer to tourist options if we leave resort - so that is a plus as well. And I think the somewhat natural shade offered at the beach at La Toc may be more our preference. As we preferred Couples Negril over Couples Swept Away - perhaps we would be happy at Regency La Toc. Any thoughts would assist. I know it will boil down to personal preferences, availability of rooms and in my heart I know we really cannot go wrong with either La Toc or the Grande. Thank you.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Given your desires, does it have to be a Sandals?? Rendezvous or East Winds sounds much more like what you are looking for: beautiful properties, great beach, no towel games, excellent food and service, lovely ambiance, long beach for strolls (especiall Rendezvous), pretty pools when you want, no reservations or long waits for dining, evening entertainment (Rendezvous has an indoor, A/C champagne piano bar after the evening entertainment), etc...and both properties very easy to navigate (Rendevous is flat, and East Winds with a gentle incline).

If Sandals is a must, then La Toc is quite easy to get around w/the shuttles, or a Club room at ocean level works too, and is a beautiful property with Bluff and sea level views. Grande is flat and more compact overall, with longer stretch of beach to stroll and calmer waters generally. It's a toss up. Both are pricey at Christmas (it's peak, peak season in the islands - everywhere is pricey!).

If you're not into pool games and all the activities of a Sandals or AI for that matter, maybe consider a luxury property w/ a meal plan. Somewhere such as Sugar Beach, at the foot of the Pitons, with specatular views, luxury rooms and good food/great service - and very close to the local sites and experiences of the island.

Enjoy your visit, wherever you end up.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

My husband works tremendous on call hours - so we look for an adults only all inclusive vacation over the holidays. We only have 6 nights so we look for a place that will cater to our needs. We enjoyed Couples Negril, Sandals Antigua and Sandals Royal Caribbean. We want to feel pampered and spoiled. We do a different type of vacation when we have more time. I do appreciate the suggestions. Just what I was hoping for. Thank you.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
12,517 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Rendezvous is adults only AI, and East Winds is virtually the same (not specificall AO, but very few children, and those that do visit are well traveled, and it is AI).

Same with Sugar Beach -while not AO or AI specifically, does not cater to boisterous families or such, and does offer AI meal plans....food for thought.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

I see that Eastwinds is not adults only (children permitted) during the time we travel over Christmas holidays. Sugar Beach is booked. And I think the dining options at Rendezvous may not be enough variety. So I am back to looking at Sandals.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

It sounds like the Grande is really what would fit your desires best. It has the nice long beach, calm water, and plenty of beach to walk beyond the property line. You can always hop the shuttles over to La Toc and/or Halcyon to dine at their restaurants. And the Grande has Gordon's at it as well (included with butler level rooms). We very much enjoyed our stay at the Grande.

You might want to read TravelPair55's posts from her stay at the Grande this past Feb/March. Here is the link to it: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g147342-i247-k7231…

And here is the link to her review: tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g147344-d263…

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

(thanks for the reference to my post Winnekini!)

It really all comes down to personal preference, but I have to say that our favourite of the 3 is the Grande. I also have some mobility issues due to surgery on my knees and while we thought La Toc was beautiful, we just didn't relish the thought of walking from bluffs to beach or vice versa, or waiting for the resort shuttle in order to get from one spot to another.

At the Grande we've stayed in standard level, club level and butler. We more usually book club level at any Sandals we go to, but I wouldn't at all hesitate to stay standard level at the Grande. We found the overall service to be excellent every time we've been.

In case you don't feel like reading through my post linked above by Winnekini, here is the link to my pics of the Grande:

https:/…

and of La Toc:

https:/…

I also just wondered if you meant that you have stayed at Sandals Royal Bahamian and not Sandals Royal Caribbean, as between the two of them, only SRB has Gordon's?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Opps. - it was Sandals Royal Bahamian. We booked at last minute for a quick getaway. Thanks for noting the mistake.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
15 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Booked at Sandals Grande! Thanks for your assistance. I do enjoy the added peace of mind from reading your input.

Haverhill...
Level Contributor
3,928 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

Congrats! I think you'll be very happy with your choice! We had a great time there during our first stay, but after following TP's live posts, we're definitely looking to return there sooner rather than later!

Ontario Canada
Destination Expert
for White House
Level Contributor
8,684 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals St Lucia 3 options: Decisions, decisions. Pls help

yyz...great decision, I don't think you will be disappointed!

Winnekini...maybe we should have SGSL as an alternate in case Sandals Barbados isn't open on time!