We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
3 posts
Save Topic
Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

Hello,

My fiance and I are looking into planning our honeymoon. We have been focusing on St. Lucia and our travel agent suggested that we spend the first 2 nights at Ladera, then move onto either the Sandals Regency or Grande. From what I have been reading, the beaches at the Grande are far superior. Is it worth the extra money to stay there?

Is the Regency beach walkable from the rooms? Or is a shuttle required? I have read a lot about how the regency beaches are closed or too rough, yet the Grande are calmer and usable, is this also true?

Thanks, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

A lot depends on your budget and what you want from your stay. It would help to know what category you're thinking of at either resort.

At the Grande, everyone gets room service for breakfast, and the concierge rooms get 24-h room service, nice for a honeymoon but not essential. At the Regency, only butler rooms get room service. Butler rooms are much cheaper at the Regency, though.

At the Grande, all rooms are the same size/layout until the butler rooms, and all have a patio or balcony. The rooms are quite nice, but you have to make sure you don't get a view of the parking lot in the cheapest category. Much more variation at the Regency.

The Grande is on flat land with the beach accessible from all rooms. At the Regency, the non-concierge rooms are on the beach level. All others are a bit of a hike. The resort map doesn't really do justice to the elevation of the cliff.

The water is consistently more swimmable at the Grande.

Personally, we like the view from the beachfront side of the Grande -- you see the boats in Rodney Bay. From the Regency you see more open water, still nice though.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for Ecotourism
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

Sorry, mistake -- there are some concierge rooms on the main beach level at the Regency.

One thing to keep in mind at Sandals: they often call something a suite at the concierge level when in fact it's a largish room.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,511 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

If the beach is important to you than the Grande may be a better option. Not that the Regency beach isn't nice, however, it does tend to be rough. However, when we were there we had green flags every day but I understand that is not very common.

The Regency beach is walkable from all rooms. The Regency is a little more spread out than the Grande. The Regency has rooms up on the cliffs where you would have to walk a little ways (less than 10 mins) or take a shuttle to get to the beach. You can have a good idea of where you would be by looking at the map on the Sandals site.

Both places have great pools too.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

Just got back from our honeymoon, we also split our time between Sandals and another resort. The beach at the Grande was beautiful. The Regency beach was closed when we were there. A friend stayed there and said that hanging out by the pool was a blast. We really liked Sandals, but liked the smaller resort we stayed at so much better. From what I have heard about Ladera, you might be in a similar situation. That said we were so happy that we went to Sandals first, the second resort was like an upgrade! Just a thought....

Canada
Level Contributor
149 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

what was your second resort that was like an upgrade from Sandals?

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

The Anse Chastanet, it was much smaller and more romantic than Sandals. The beach was amazing with exceptional views of the Pitons. However, there is no AC or TV and being set on the side of a mountain, there were stairs to and from the beach. That said, I would highly recommend it. Let me know if need additional and/or more detailed info.

southern NJ
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

We've stayed at both the Grande and the Regency and we prefer the Regency. As a matter of fact, we were just there in Feb and are heading back again next February!

Omaha
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

What was the name of the smaller resort you stayed at. We are a middle aged couple and not sure if Sandals is mostly for young newlyweds! Any more info would be appreciated.

Milford, Iowa
Level Contributor
3,167 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

Omahatraveler,

Hi "Neighbor" (I am from Iowa)!

You do not need to worry that Sandals will be full of nothing but honeymooners! Trust me, the majority of my clients are anything but honeymooners, but they do love a great adult only/couples only all-inclusive that has tons of amenities and romance in mind. ; -)

Best of luck on your decision.

IrieLady

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,410 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sandals Grande worth extra money over the Regency?

We have booked Sandals through IrieLady and we are in our 40's/50's. We are far from the "oldest" people there. In our several Sandals visits we have met couples from 18 to 80. It is unique in that it attracts all age groups and it works for all of them.

Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet
Recent Conversations