We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airport and Calabash

portsmouth ri
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Airport and Calabash

What airport is best for getting to calabash cove? Is the helicpoter worth it?

Thanks!!!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airport and Calabash

Well it's in the north so Vigie or George Charles Airport is the better of the two.

The helicopter would get you North in about 10 mins I think and then it would be about a 15 mins drive.

Sweden
Level Contributor
399 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airport and Calabash

Like said before Vigie Airport is closer to the Calabash Cove, only 10 minute drive from the airport. Hewanorra is about an hour (or hour and 15min) drive away. The drive takes a while, but also allows you to see the East coast of the island, therefore it's not a waste of time. But if you prefer a helicopter transfer- go for it! It is quick and you get nice aerial views of the island.

Mentioned in this post
Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
Calabash Cove Resort and...
662 Reviews
St. Lucia
Poole, United...
Level Contributor
672 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airport and Calabash

I have to start this by saying I am a big fan of the helicopter so my view is biased. The journey by road is very bendy so if you suffer from travel sickness it will not be a pleasant experience. Also if you are coming from the UK you can hit Castries at a very bad time, it once took us in excess of 3 hours due to a hold up there. the helicopter is well worth the expense and you get to you hotel very quickly. Also get great arial views of the island. Have to say not worth it so much going back as it gets you to the airport very early for UK flights. Having said that we generally take it both ways. Calabash is wonderful I am sure you will have a fantastic trip.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airport and Calabash

Jesamies

The OP is from Portsmouth Rhode Island, in the USA; not Portsmouth in the UK.

portsmouth ri
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Airport and Calabash

thanks everyone for the tips! Sounds like we will be doing the helicopter! we having been hemming and hawing and considering canceling the trip as some of the review of calabash seem to suggest its not worth the money...but were going to go for it and we shall see!

Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Airport and Calabash

I was in St. Lucia last week and had a look at Calabash Cove - didn't see the rooms but the property is gorgeous - stunning actually and it's very new so I think the standard should be pretty good - hope it goes well and please review it when you come back!

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Calabash Cove Resort and Spa
Calabash Cove Resort and...
662 Reviews
St. Lucia
Bridgetown, Barbados
Destination Expert
for Bridgetown, Barbados
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Airport and Calabash

I've just been a looked at the "mixed" reviews for Calabash and some seem to be a little picky I have to say. One thing that stands out with 2 of them is they mention the 80 ish steps to the beach - St. Lucia is a mountainous island and has some very steep terrain - infact at Ti Kaye I think there are about 170 steps (or there abouts) to the beach! and Anse Chastenet is a major climb up to the restaurant and many of the rooms.

Mentioned in this post
St. Lucia
St. Lucia
Caribbean
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
1,575 Reviews
St. Lucia
Chicago
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Airport and Calabash

My fiance and I booked the helicopter ride (from airport to Castries) to avoid the 90 minute drive. Now we're having second thoughts because of the whole not having our luggage with us thing. What are your thoughts? We really don't want our luggage lost.

Mentioned in this post
Castries
Castries
St. Lucia
Bucks County, PA
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Airport and Calabash

We did the same thing for our trip to Calabash this coming July (booked the heli) - leery of letting our luggage out of our site but all reviews I read seemed to indicate that there was never any problem at all, so we're giving it a shot to be able to experience swooping in to the resort by air.

Well, swooping in to the waiting taxi. At the 2nd airport. But then the pool and a cocktail are a mere 15 mins away...

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
672 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Airport and Calabash

Thanks for that geographic correction Sunlover! However my posting stands. Whatever time you arrive for me the helicopter is the best way to travel. Wanderlust29, don't worry about your suitcase it will arrive safely ours always has. Just pack some shorts, swimsuit and sun lotion in your hand baggage and enjoy the wait. I am sure you will love Calabash.