We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Windjammer

Bracebridge...
2 posts
Save Topic
Windjammer

After reading the (EXTREMELY USEFUL) forums here i believe my wife and i made the an excellent choice for a relaxing holiday in St. Lucia and hopefully Windjammer Lodging specifically.

We decided to not take a full meal plan there because we are the type that likes to adventure out and not have planned schedules for eating. We may still get a 3 day "all inclusive" and i think it is a fantastic option for any resort to offer. We have a villa with a full kitchen :D

I was wondering, does anyone offer moped or motorized scooter rentals on the island?

We're going between Dec. 4 and 11 ... i suppose i could call and find out if we have a splash pool. Or, are these always included at that time period? If not, do you think the option is expensive to add?

I've looked on a map and it seems there is a super market less than 1 km from the resort. Easily within walking distance for us, or is there one closer? Anyone know if that is the case? do they sell wine and beer there?

What about internet there? Is it available in the villas? Expensive?

And last question ( for now), it seems that non-motorized water toys are included with or without an all inclusive package. I'm hoping that includes the hobie cats ... anyone know if that is the case?

Thanks everyone for all the advice and answers here. After we get back we will contribute to this excellent forum and share our experience.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Windjammer

Steve -

The grocery store is not within walking distance. They do have a convenient food mart on site for a few things (including booze), but I recommend a trip to the grocery. When we get there, we get checked into the villa, then grab a cab to Rodney Bay and have dinner. On the way back we stop off at the grocery and get a whole cart full of food and beer and rum.....

They have Internet in the villas. I can't recall if the wifi worked or we had to use the cord last year.

Not sure about the Hobie cats - we are owners so we get all watersports included.

What kind of room did you book? That might tell if you have a pool or not.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Windjammer

Yes, it includes the hobie cats.

There is a small grocery near the entrance to the road that goes to Windjammer. It is behind the local gas station so definitely small. The larger grocery is in Rodney Bay. In fact, there are now two grocery stores located there.

Another option is to go into Castries and buy fresh fruit and fish from the vendors on the street.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Windjammer

Nevera -

How do you cook your fish when you are there? Will the vendor clean and filet it or do you have to do that yourself?

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Windjammer

I bake it in the oven. I bought it already fileted so I didn't need to do anything but cook it. Incredibly inexpensive to purchase as well.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Windjammer

Bring a wifi hub for your villa or a wired connection and you should be fine. Re plunge pools, you could ask before you go but the likelihood is that it is allocated on arrival. Are you swapping in through a points system or renting and hoping for an upgrade?

The supermarket on site is quite small but does have eggs, bread, milk, groceries, medicine and frozen foodstuffs. Best to ask your taxi driver to stop at one of the bigger markets on the way to the resort.

Hobie cats should be included in the non-motorised package, as is the morning snorkelling trip (not a lot to see but gets you a nice ride in a speedboat!)

Bracebridge...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Windjammer

Wow!

You peeps are awesome! Thanks for the great advice!

We are going on a Transat Holiday (from Canada). We were able to use airmiles too :) ... I think I will call on the weekend and see if our villa is booked. It's not like we really want/need a plunge pool but i'm sure we would use it if it was included.

Has anyone tried to rent a moped or scooter? Or a bicycle even?

Just wondering if i would need a special drivers license ... like a motorcycle license ... if rentals are available somewhere on the island.

i've rented cars in Britain and Spain. And Mexico. It just seems like a small scooter would be great in St. Lucia instead of a car. We'll probably spend a fair amount of time at the resort ... but going out on a whim could be fun too.

If I could find a cheap way to get to St. Lucia annually, renting a villa from an owner would be awesome! But it seems like the flight/villa package is always cheaper believe it or not.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
858 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Windjammer

Steve -

Although I have not done real research, I would bet you are correct on the less expensive option being the package when you are talking a single-bedroom. But we found a good deal renting an estate three-bedroom villa through ebay from an owner, then two families shared it (parents got two bedrooms, three young boys shared the last bedroom and the sleeper sofa). That was a good deal, especially since we could use miles for airfare. You don't have to rent from an owner for multiple years.

Not to push it (no, I do not get a kick-back!), but if you like the resort, consider accepting their offer of the timeshare "sales" pitch. You should get a freebie - like a couple's massage - and get to look at some of the other villas for rent. If you don't like their offer, at least you understand the program. Then you have the option of the resalle market. There are a lot of owners that have been going there for 10-15 years and call it their "second home".

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Windjammer

I am an owner and bought resale. Much cheaper for me to gothere as an owner than paying for a package. Obviously I still purchase my airfare but it's way less expensive overall. We surpassed the cost of the timeshare the second time we used it and now it's just our yearly fee which is nominal for what we receive in return. However, ownership isn't for everyone and renting or booking a holiday package can be the best deal for some. No matter how you get there enjoy your stay!

Can't help you with the scooter. I know there is a place in Rodney Bay that offers them and if you do a search on the forum you should find at least one post about them.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,443 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Windjammer

We rented for three years before taking the plunge. Have now owned for 12 years. Definitely go on the presentation but have your discussion ready. Look at resales on redweek and ebay and also ask Wj if they have resales. Some sales people will tell you right away if they have any . Others will be more reticent. One thing worth knowing, if you buy and cant come out one year they will roll over the werk for a small exchange fee. We have never swapoed out of the resort so I cant comment on external exchange power. Have fun!

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
36 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Windjammer

Steve:

As usual, you've received some great advice from some of our owners and repeat guests. I can have Reservations contact you regarding your upcoming accommodation if you send your e-mail address to me at mozawa@windjammer-landing.com. We have 5 terrific restaurants on site but certainly appreciate the desire to try some of the local options. You can either work with Reservations on a meal plan decision or wait until you arrive.

As they've noted, there are a few grocery stores in the area but none are within walking distance. My recommendation is to take a taxi to Rodney Bay where there are two stores in the same area. Super J is the local chain and GL is more "western" in feel.

Drivers in Saint Lucia can be aggressive. I don't know if one can rent a scooter but I wouldn't recommend it. We have a car rental desk in the lobby and suggest you talk with Elizabeth about renting a car for a day or two. She can also provide you with a temporary license; you just need to show your local license and she can add the cost to your rental.

The hobie cats are included in the AI as are the paddle boats, wind surfers, etc. The team at Water Sports will be happy to set up you whenever you are ready!

Our team in the Private Residence Club can certainly talk with you about various ownership options and I'd be happy to discuss them with you as well.

We look forward to seeing you in December!

Warm regards,

Mark Ozawa

Managing Director

mozawa@windjammer-landing.com

Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet
Recent Conversations