We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Which Gros Islet hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Topic
Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Two week stay in St Lucia (2 adults 2 children), second week staying at Fond Doux, cant decide between Coco Palm or Bay Garden for first week. We like to try different places to eat without having to rely on taxi/shuttle - Never beenbefore so any recommendations or alternatives would be greatly received - Thanks

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,869 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

IcanCtheC, didn't you ask this already?

A live local alternative that may suit your family and their wants is La Villa Paloma...

www.lapalomavilla.com/

High season 2 bdrm/5 nights/4 people USD 575/night steps to the beach, swimming pool, a housekeeper, driver-tour guide and Roseline, the cook, who is happy to go grocery shopping with you on the first morning to the Castries Central fresh fish & Farmer's Market and supermarkets and then choose menus and cooking methods for Lucian dishes that she (and you) will prepare.

Bless up! Paul

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Hi,

There are 3 Bay Gardens hotels, all owned by the same group. All in RB

The Bay Gardens Hotel and Bay Gardens Inn are perfectly good hotels situated on the highway at the edge of RB village. They will probably be the cheapest option. 10 minutes walk to the beach or you can get their free shuttle to the BGBR and use their facilities which is IMO a big plus point

Coco Palm is right in the centre of the village,Some people say it is a bit noisy as a result but it has a vg reputation. 5 mins walk from the beach. Ideally you want to be in the main hotel and not the Creole rooms. It is prob mid priced out of your selection.

Bay Gardens Beach Resort is Beachfront and slightly at one end of RB village. 5/10 mins walk to the centre. IMO partly because of location it is the better of the 4 hotels. It is also the newest of the 4 and does have a childrens playground (swings/slides etc). You don't say how old your kids are. I would expect you will find this one slightly more expensive

It really is a value judgement based upon what prices you can secure. They all have offers on you may get lucky.

I know the BGBR well having stayed there many times. If you want any info please feel free to ask

STEVE

Edited: 06 October 2013, 22:20
Lancashire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Thanks BigSteve, I'm undecided and was going for Coco Palm but I think the suites have gone so we'll be squeezed into 1 room and my children (9 & 13 boy & girl) certainly will not bunk-up together! BGBR looks lovely and has the rooms but it isn't B&B and I've read their restaurant is expensive, was also worried it might be a trek to eat elsewhere - 5-10 mins is great so its looking like the best option. I think part of the problem is they all sound good! Cheers

Berkshire
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Hi,

You are correct they are all good and SL is a great destination. Having been there 25 times I would say that though.

RE BGBR what you need is a 1 bedroom suite. You get a master bedroom with a queen bed and a large ensuite bathroom with a shower over a bathtub. You also get a lounge/kitchen/diner with a vg quality double sized sofa bed. Upon request they will put in a fold up bed for your 9 year old.Pleenty of space for that.Kitchen is well equipped with a cooker, microwave, fridge, freezer, toaster coffee maker etc etc

The beachfront, pool view and garden view rooms are all the same layout just the view is different

Re food yes it is a bit pricy generally but BGBR is not too bad itself. But with the kitchen you can do your own breakfast and snack lunches if you wish and even dinner. You can also stock up on drinks and snacks for use in the room and even on the beach/poolside.The big plus is so much variety at all price points in the village.

Re food if you want a cooked breakfast BGBR is a buffet at c USD 20 per adult and half price for kids but Spinnakers next door is about 50% of that as are places in the village. For dinner there are 4/5 good restaurants actiually less than 5 mins walk away plus loads more in the village

BGBR does have various offers on. It depends when you are going but if you have time just keep your eye out on their web site or expedia etc for an offer. And even flight inclusive packages have them

When are you going I might be able to advise further

I have also stayed at Fond Doux. Did a 4 day add on to 2 weeks at BGBR once. That worked well.

STEVE

Edited: 07 October 2013, 09:06
Lancashire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

All sounds good, we are going end of Nov, a beach week then getting married at Fond Doux the following week. All very rushed as I've found out I'm unwell, so all the things we were going to get around to doing one day are happening now - busy busy busy and getting excited.

Any not to miss places whilst in St Lucia or any other practical tips, like mosi's, plugs etc all greatfully received and huge thanks for all the information already supplied.

Denise

Berkshire
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,102 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Denise,

Sorry to hear about your illness and I hope all goes well

Re Mosies we never have a problem in the RB area but if you generally suffer take plenty of repellant with you. You are more likely to need it in FD and FD is a little remote so have it with you.

Plugs in BGBR are both UK and US type and they loan you adapters if necessary. Wifi works all over in BGBR, if you are that way inclined. Not 100% perfect but ok.

For trips and airport transfers if required I recommend www.serenitytvl.com. They are very good and will also transport you to FD if necessary.

A land and sea Island tour is good fun. You essentially go down the coast by boat then into minibusses around the sights. Most of the sights are around Soufriere so you might decide to do that when there, wedding bits permitting. But one of the trips is "Pirates day" which could be good for the kids. Otherwise a day/half day at Pigeon Island is good and cheap. Small hike, heritage centre, nice beaches, snorkelling, nice local cafe Jambe de Bois. Also the ariel tram and zip lining. All on the Serenity web site for more info.If you are into Snorkelling it is much better in Soufriere esp at the Anse Chastenet Hotel beach. FD will get you in there.

The Grenadines day trip is excellent, not cheap (c USD 350/person kids poss a small disc) but very special.

Re eating in RB make sure you try Delirius, Froggie Jaqcques and La Terrasse. All places in RB are kid friendly.

Hope this helps

STEVE

Lancashire
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

Sounds fantastic - just counting the days - can't wait! and thankyou

8. Re: Coco Palm or Bay Garden?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gros Islet
Recent Conversations