We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the bugs??

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How bad are the bugs??

Want to go to Jalouise in January. Are the bugs just as bad in January as they are in August? Everything about the resort sounds exactly like what I'm looking for, but how do you relax and enjoy the outdoor dining, etc. with mosquitos?

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How bad are the bugs??

I don't know about January but we just got back from Ti Kaye on Wednesday and didn't get a single bite. We didn't use bug spray either! We went through the rainforest and ate every meal outside. Have fun. We can't wait to go back!

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How bad are the bugs??

We were at Jalousie in March and bugs were never an issue.

boston
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How bad are the bugs??

THANK YOU for relieving the anxiety. It sounds amazing! Hope you all get back there soon!

Shanmass

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How bad are the bugs??

shanmass, you're most welcome. All things considered you should have an amazing holiday at Jalousie. I can't wait to get back!! You know they're running a stay 4 nights pay for 2 deal now? Probably doesn't extend into high season when you'll be there though....

Cheers!

London, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How bad are the bugs??

hmm... there definitely _are_ mossies and midges... got bitten quite a bit on the Piton hike, and elsewhere it was usually quite obvious that the midges were out once the sun went down.

However, they are small, and don't go out in swarms (depends what you're used to - was in New Zealand a few years back, where the sandflies made _any_ outside activity a challenge).

Insect repellent will see off the midges.... and if if rains heavily, be prepared for the odd roach, and or hand-sized spiders....

Sheffield, England
Level Contributor
5,351 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Agree with this last post - if you know that you react badly to bites (as I do) then go armed with some strong DEET based repellant as it may just prevent a ruined holiday. Sure you'll have a great time though!

TX
Level Contributor
6 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Howdy,

My wife also uses Avon Skin So Soft as she does not care for the products with DEET. There seems to be something in the Skin So Soft that keeps the little critters away.

England
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,410 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Hi

January is not too bad re mosquitos but they tend to be more of a nuisance if it has been raining for a few days, more of a problem in June-September for example.

An ex-pat friend of mine suggested taking anti-histamine pills as this stops the urge to scratch. It does work and is also helpful as I am allergic to Mango pollen! I also use one of those electronic clicker devices if I get a bite and, again, it stops the urge to scratch.

Golden rule is to put on the repellant just before the sun goes down, concentrate on ankles and calves as these are vulnerable areas. Jungle Formula and "Off!" are both good.

Jalousie is gorgeous and very romantic. Have a great time.

Guilford...
Level Contributor
37 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How bad are the bugs??

I was there in September and didn't get a single bite.

10. Re: How bad are the bugs??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 01:16