We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Hoping those with experience in the Soufriere area, and Anse Chastanet resort in particular, can help with a couple of questions. We're going to be in St. Lucia in a few weeks, and are staying in a private villa near the Anse Chastanet resort (not part of the reort itself). We will be renting a car to get around, but we've heard about the difficult driving conditions, so are also interested in the idea of getting to some places by water taxi.

In particular we'd like to go to Anse La Raye on Friday night for the fish fry. Is there a regular water taxi which goes from Anse Chastanet resort, or is this something we need to arrange on our own? I've seen other posts which talk about hiring a water taxi in Soufriere, but we're wondering whether we can do this from Anse Chastanet.

We're assuming that we will be able to access the beach at Anse Chastanet and park our car nearby, but if anyone has experienced problems accessing Anse Chastanet if they were not staying at the resort, we'd appreciate hearing. The resort also looks like it has good restaurants which we're hoping we'll be able to use.

This will be our first trip to St. Lucia and we're really looking forward to it, but just trying to figure a few things out before we go to eliminate surprises. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

I wouldn't do water taxi in the night - personally, but that's just me. AC does not run any of their boats after sunset, they can probably book you a watertaxi but it will be on your own risk. I only heard of people doing that, everyone I met was using land taxi.

It is a good idea not to take your car to the fish fry just because for someone not familiar with St Lucia roads driving in the night these windy roads might not be too easy.

Especially part between Soufriere and Canaries is just spooky in the night - the sounds of rainforest, no ligts, wet, winding up and down road, fog and....no radio and cell phone signal. Hey. it's part of the fun, drive it during the day first.

Unless you are planning to have few beers at the fish fry, then no driving of course.

Land taxi is the best option IMHO and because you won't be a Guest at Anse you will need to arrange for it yourself. However, you can probably inquire with the front desk if any of the Guests are going and maybe they can put you together with them(so you can share the cost as well). I did that once (sharing the ride) and I wasn't too happy, because although all passengers agreed on the time for return (11pm), there were people in my group who insisted on going home at 9pm. The taxi driver finally went twice, but that naturally incurred higher costs, so check before you sign up for anything on sharing basis.

Beach at AC is very accessible, you will pass through hotel security checkpost and they will show you to the parking, from there it's literally 10 steps. By law, all the beaches are public, so if you own a land by the beach you are obliged to facilitate the access to the beach for the public. I haven't heard of anyone having troubles getting there. Using the facilities - it's a different story. Even if you have lunch there, you cannot use chairs, hammocks, etc. They used to have a package chair + snorkel gear + buffet lunch which was being sold the dive shop and I remember it to be a pretty good deal if you spend the day (I think it was 40 bucks, but not 100% sure). Anyways, you can spread your towel anywhere you want. You can walk to another beach - Anse Mamin which I think is even more beautiful. If going there for dinner - make a reservation - especially for the Indian restaurant on the beach - it is very small.

Happy travels

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Thanks for your thoughtful response Two whiskers. I like your idea about trying to arrange a taxi group from AC. I've also seen other comments about the beach at Anse Mamin, and we are certainly planning to check it out while we're there.

Do you recall approximately how much the taxi ride was from AC to Anse La Raye?

Australia
Level Contributor
361 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Not 100% sure, but I think it was around 400EC (130 US)up and down in Spring 2007. I remember that our share was very reasonable after splitting. Enjoy.

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

My husband is a taxi driver at Anse Chastanet Hotel. You can contact him when you are here on 488 3398 and he will tell you if there is a group going to Anse le Raye on the Friday night, so you can join.

The rate is between $100-$150 US for the taxi, depends on the numbers travelling, and you can share it among the group. The taxis can take from 2 - 12 comfortably.

So relax, sit back and let someone else do the driving.

Toronto, Canada
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Debs,

That's great, we will certainly be in touch with your husband to see whether he is going to Anse La Raye on Friday night.

Thanks.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
35 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

Hi there, I just got back from St. Lucia. I went with 5 friends and we stayed at a private villa on the road to Anse Chastenet. We had no problems at all accessing the beach, there is a parking lot you can use. We had the best veg roti on the beach which was worth the price. We ate at treehouse restaurant one night which was very good but not amazing. Hummingbird was better, and is close to Anse Chastenet as well.

We paid 400 EC for a water taxi to pick us up at anse chastenet, he dropped us at Anse Cochon (which I don't recommend because it is mosquito ridden and overcrowded with cruise ship tourists, and the snorkeling was better at Anse Chastenet), and then we were picked up and brought to Anse La Ray for the fish fry. It's alot of fun--I loved it, live music, dancing on the street. It's a real people watching thing. The ride home by water taxi was an adventure (the taxi had one flashlight which kept bumming out), but the billions of glittering stars in the sky and bioluminescense in the water was not something I will ever forget.

If you're at Anse Chastenet you could also get a water taxi to Jalousie beach which is just spectacular. It is the most beautiful beach I've ever seen, between the pitons. I would say water taxi is the way to go, much more relaxing than driving. Watch for flying fish!

You're so lucky to be heading there! St Lucia is heaven on earth! Enjoy it!

7. Re: Getting around near Anse Chastanet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 01:21
Get answers to your questions about Soufriere