We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
clifton, va
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

My husband and I spent a week at Jalousie last March and just loved the resort and the whole Soufriere area. We are going to St. Martin in April, we'll have our kids and can get a direct flight- otherwise we'd be back to St. Lucia. We are really struggling with where to stay. Since we loved this area so much I just wanted to see if anyone on this forum is also familiar with St. Martin and can give a good recommendation on where to stay. I am also perusing the St. Martin forums as well. Thank You.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

St Martin is mostly flat, and totally unlike the area around Soufriere. Some years ago we stayed at Le Meridien in the northern French half of St Martin. There is some similarity with Jalousie, in that it is nestled at sea level in a hilly area, on a superb sandy bay, and is quite secluded. The resort is however quite flat, and the rooms are in blocks, unlike the rooms at Jalousie which spread up the hillside.

From Le Meridien we also took a catamaran day cruise to Anguilla, which was an excellent day out.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

I second staying on the French Side of the island. The St. Martin (Dutch side) is too touristy and congested. Don't have recommendations for where to stay though. As SunLover said it's flat. The beach on the French side is beautiful (and if you are uncomfortable with nudity that might be a problem). The island is nothing like St. Lucia but it is a new experience.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,405 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

I think I meant to say the St. Maarten side is Dutch and the St. Martin side is French.

clifton, va
Level Contributor
138 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Thanks for the info. I will look into the French side.... We don't like congested/touristy areas.

Ottawa
Level Contributor
48 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Hi I've been to St Martin twice and loved it both times. I agree that the French side is more interesting and better food. No matter where you stay, rent a car for a few days. You can circumnavigate the entire island in a day. There are 26 beaches and all are different. Also not all beaches on the French side are nudist. Have a great time.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
19 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Don't go there full of crime. Stayed at maho bay back in 1999 since then being in the airline industry I have heard many bad stories would never go back

Poole, United...
Level Contributor
670 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Hi, keep an eye on the strike situation if you stay on the French side as the strikes are already causing problems in Guadeloupe and Martinique, if they do not cease they may spread to other French areas.

Tours, France
Level Contributor
2,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

Good advice from Jessamies.

They weren't just strikes in Guadaloupe and Martinique, they were riots with cars being burnt, and shops being looted.

Guadaloupe is traditionally more prone to unrest than Martinique, and there has been one person shot dead in Guadaloupe during the riots.

St Martin (the French side) is administratively part of Guadaloupe, but I have heard no reports of any problems in St Martin on the French TV yet.

9. Re: Any fans of Jalousie/Soufriere know about Saint Martin??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2009, 15:25