We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando
5 posts
Save Topic
St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

Is St Lucia safe to walk around or is it the kind of place (like many other islands) that you typically just stay on the resort? I like to be able to walk off property alone and feel very safe. If this is not like this....do you have any reccomendations?

UK
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

It is very safe as long as you follow common sense (ie. do not walk down dark alleys late at night). Of course there is some crime and the odd incident as there is in every place. But in general st. Lucia is a very safe place. To stay on resort is a terrible shame when the island has so much to offer!

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,100 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

Jewelz4444,

Just to support everything that chesebrgr has said

STEVE

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

As a female I do walk around by myself both in Rodney Bay and the City of Castries as well as take the public transit by myself but never after dark (except for walking around Rodney Bay). I've never been bothered by anyone and the people I have encountered have been nothing but friendly and helpful. You MUST use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Axminster, United...
Level Contributor
287 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

It's like anywhere, there will be a few places where it would be imprudent to walk around with that big sign post saying "Tourist". The same would apply to New York or London or other parts of the world. I'd dare say there are a few parts of Orlando, where it would be foolish to advertise yourself as non-local. We do get a few reports every year of tourists being robbed in Orlando, yet thousands still go there.

Just be sensible.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,482 posts
301 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

Yes, i agree with the other replies. I have never felt unsafe whilst out and about, though at night,i would be warier of where i went, but generally you will be ok.

London
Level Contributor
243 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

Likewise, I also have walked around St Lucia (Rodney Bay and Castries) on my own and had absolutely no problems. Just exercise common sense late and night and don't do anything you wouldn't do at home (ie. walk in unlit areas etc). You definitely don't want to stay on the resort. The beauty of St Lucia is definitely outside of the resort. It is such a beautiful island and there is lots to see. Enjoy!

7. Re: St Lucia safe to walk around alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2010, 05:18