We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

I haven't seen any recent reviews of Mago Estate Hotel in Soufriere and am a little concerned. They have made some changes to management so ... Thanks for your comments.

Williamsburg, VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

We just returned from St. Lucia. Stayed at Mago Estate Hotel for one night prior to a week at Villa Eluna in Soufriere. Mago arranged pickup at UVF airport, which was convenient. Driver (Kester) even stopped at grocery store in town for us to pick up some snacks (and rum mixers). Mago is a nice place, but has seen its better days. Character is rustic, which we expected, but needs work and some TLC. Management and staff was very attentive and accomodating.

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

Thanks so much for your reply.

We are staying three nights and we are used to 5* so this should be interesting. :) We though it would be a great experience and would enable us to see this part of St. Lucia more easily than if we were staying in Choc Bay. We are planning on staying a week at Almond Morgan Bay (I think it's a 4*) before heading to Soufriere.

Please tell me, were the bugs bad at Mago?

Thanks for your help.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,435 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

I wouldn't call Almond Morgan Bay a 4*. I would call it a 3 star with a little bit of plus. Haven't stayed at Mago.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

....visited Mago back in '06, as some friends had stayed one night, and then joined us at Stonefield.

Mago experiences rather amplified noise from nearby Soufriere.

From a USA rating scale, it would get maybe 1 1/2 stars....on a UK standard ( I have stayed extensively in the UK, so can give my opinion)...maybe 2 1/2.

Open walls, questionable management involvement in security, and rustic furnishings add to your island experience.

Z

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

Thanks. :(

We always stay at 5 stars however we have an oportunity to go with friends and this is the resort that was chosen. At least I can go in with the right attitutude. Besides, it's what you make of it right? Thanks for your input.

Boston...
Level Contributor
1,605 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

NewCrew, if you'll be so kind as to write a short, or long, TR upon your return, you'll help others in the future.

Or, simply relate your experience, good or bad, in a couple of sentences.

Have a wonderful time.

z

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

Thanks. I have written reviews before and will most definitely write somethong about our tip to St. Lucia.

You didn't answer my question about the bugs though!

:)

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,349 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

"You didn't answer my question about the bugs though!

:)"

Zricky...might not be the man to ask about bugs in the Caribbean...:-) I bet he might tell you there's a chance of finding a few...yeah, right!?

St.Lucia has all sorts... what kind are you looking for? Some good, some maybe not so, some that even look worse then their bite.

Ontario
Level Contributor
44 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

I guess I should have clarified! :) ;)

I know that there are bugs in St. Lucia - the good, the bad and the ugly!

I wanted to know how troublesome the bugs are at Mago Estate hotel.

Thanks.

Williamsburg, VA
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone experienced Mago Estates recently?

The rooms are open to the outside, with shutters and/or louvered doors. This is typical of many hotels and villas in St. Lucia. Beds have mosquito netting around them, so bugs tend not to be a problem. We are just careful to close the bed netting, don't keep the lights on very long at night, etc. and were not bothered by the biting bugs - just a few bites during the week. Didn't see any "major" bugs found elsewhere (moths, cockroaches, flying critters, etc.) Just the occasional friendly lizard, and hummingbirds that got lost!