We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Washington DC...
3 posts
Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Hello! My husband and I are going to Jalousie in July and have booked a luxury cottage. There's very little detail about this level of room on the resort website and I haven't seen any recent reviews on TA that describes the luxury cottages - only villas and sugar hill rooms.

Specifically I am looking to confirm if they include a plunge pool and if there's plenty of space for suitcases (I did call the resort and they told me no, but the description online when you book says that it does). Also, are they as updated as the villas? Considering switching to a villa, but want to make sure I have the complete picture before making a decision. Has anyone else made a decision between the two? There's quite a price increase and I'd like to get thoughts on the difference between the two.

I'm sure we'd be thrilled either way - we can't wait!

Thanks!

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
1. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

The luxury cottages are a new category. They include a plunge pool. Don't know about the ability to handle lots of luggage -- you definitely don't need lots of luggage as you'll wear little of whatever you bring even if you only have one suitcase. After 10 years I still bring more than I can ever possibly wear for two weeks or a month. I wouldn't change category of rooms. All the accommodations are excellent.

Washington DC...
3 posts
2. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Thank you for the confirmation! I will focus more on swimsuits - that will definitely save me some space in my suitcase. :)

England, United...
Level Contributor
196 posts
41 reviews
3. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

This place is gorgeous! It has to be the most stunning breath-taking place in the world. It is like something out of a James Bond movie. We were lucky to have had our wedding here....you will love it!

Denver, Colorado
2 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

I am wondering about this also. Do the luxury cottages have sea views?

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
14,095 posts
10 reviews
5. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Ok - I think there is a lot of confusion here about the room names, depending on which brand-name website either you or your travel agents are using.

On www.jalousieplantation.com - there are no luxury cottages listed at all. There is Sugar Mill, Luxury Sugar Mill, Luxury Villa, superior Luxury Villa and up.

On the Viceroy Sugar Beach Website, Luxury cottages come up - but no sugar Mill or Luxury Sugar Mill rooms.

And yet - from the Jalouise website - when you click to make a reservation, the room options come up as Luxury Cottage, villa, etc no Sugar Mill rooms!!!

So - the question then becomes - is Viceroy going to be calling the Sugar Mill rooms "Luxury Cottage" rooms? Or is there simply some website confusion that hasn't been straightened out yet? Ahh - modern technology!

Either way - every room/villa, etc at Jalousie has been rennovated and updated - they are all in the lovely white on white plantation decor with butlers and plunge pools. That is - every room except the new beach bungalows- these are in a very different style than the rest of the resort in architecture and such - more adobe hut than Caribbean breezy and have jacuzzis instead of the much larger plunge pools of the other units.

Personally, if you got a great rate on the "cottage" room - I wouldn't change it at all - but I would check with the resort directly whether this is an actual luxury cottage room as a new category or whether it is a Sugar Mill room. Also - erhaps check their FB page. I would guess - based on the prices on the Viceroy site vis a vis the Jalouise site - the luxury cottages are actually Sugar Mill rooms, but I could be wrong. I know they haven't built any new rooms recently, outside the beachfront bungalows. The SM rooms are great, there is ample storage, although "a lot" of luggage may present a bit of a problem, depending on what you mean by " a lot" you may end up with a few peices simply up against the wall.

Depending on the location of the "cottage room" would make a difference on the possible sea view. Even some of the Superior Luxury or grand luxury villas have limited sea views due to the vegetation, etc. All have lovely views of either the sea or the Piton though.

Good luck - hope you guys get sorted on what type of room it actually is - and let us know!!

Edited: 18 May 2012, 16:40
Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
6. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

I don't believe the luxury cottage is a sugar mill room. They are a different category. Jalousie said they were so new (at one time) that they did not have pictures yet.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
14,095 posts
10 reviews
7. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

And yet the pcis they do show on the booking page look an awful lot like the SM rooms. If it is a whole seperate category - they definitely need to update their websites and promo materials- and their staff, as my friend who works there had no idea what I was asking about (spoke with her yesterday).

Either way - all the rooms (except beachfront bungalows) do have plunge pools and butlers and are decorated in the same colonial Caribbean style.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,488 posts
127 reviews
8. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Interesting. I called the resort and they didn't say that the sugar mill rooms had changed names to luxury cottage. Guess we'll need to see what transpires. The mystery continues .... reedprincess - Hope your friend can shed some light on the situation very soon.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
9. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

The ~luxury cottage rooms~ are not something new. These units are scattered throughout the cottage/villa clusters on property, same as the larger villa suites with their oversized plunge pools.

Of course they are not as large as the suites and will have a smaller plunge pool.

The Sugar Mill rooms are just that the Sugar Mill rooms, yes, sometimes they don't come up on the booking engines after a sale... there are not very many Sugar Mill units. No doubt with a lower entry price they do sell out very quickly.

With the way bookings go... it never hurts to check directly with the resort for availability of any particular room.

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,549 posts
10. Re: Jalousie Plantation - Luxury Cottage

Description from the Jalousie's web site:

~Luxury Cottage~

"Tucked amid the lush vegetation and fruit trees these accommodations offer enclaves of privacy, tranquility and stunning views. The spacious bedrooms speak to the resort’s plantation history with high beamed ceilings and romantic voile draped four poster beds. A small sitting area provides further space to relax indoors, while outside a private terrace and plunge pool is an added bonus for those who like to bask in the warm Caribbean sunshine. The Luxury Cottages have breathtaking views of the dramatic Pitons, or views of the sparkling waters of Anse des Pitons below. Four poster bed, butler service, iPod docking station, flat screen TV, a roll-top Victorian-style bath, walk-in shower and signature bathroom amenities."

Get answers to your questions about Soufriere