We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anse Chastanet

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wantagh, New York
Level Contributor
1,950 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Anse Chastanet

Thinking of staying here for 5 nights...we would probably rent a car for the entire time. Would you suggest taking the meal plan or going out a few nights? Are there good restaurants in the area? We are not big breakfast eaters...would rather have a lite bite to eat at lunch and then dinner.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anse Chastanet

I suggest renting a high-clearance vehicle such as a small 4x4 - the raodway leading to Anse Chastanet is in horrendous condition - it is more akin to a dry riverbed. While I have not stayed at AC, I have read meals can be quite expensive. Perhaps the half-board (MAP) would work for you, which covers breakfast and dinner. This thread has good info on dining options in Soufriere - tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g147345-i581-k57633…

Jersey City, New...
Destination Expert
for Anguilla, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anse Chastanet

You have great dining options in the Soufriere area. For the most recent information I suggest you do a search in this forum and you'll get great information. The Hummingbird is one of my favorites. I also like The Still and having lunch at the Bayside restaurant at Jalousie.

istlucia.co.uk/index.php…

soufrierebeachhouse.com/the-beach-house-rest…

viceroyhotelsandresorts.com/en/sugarbeach/di…

North east England
Level Contributor
86 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anse Chastanet

We are staying at Anse Chastanet, room only, in May

is it possible to walk to any of the restaurants in Soufriere?

Thanks

Odette

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,111 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anse Chastanet

Hi,

It is a very long walk, probably 1.5 miles each way so I suggest not

STEVE

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
82 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Anse Chastanet

Is it true you cannot drive to Anse Chastanet? Do you have to take a water taxi? I have rented a jeep for the 8 days we are in St Lucia. ROMOAD

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anse Chastanet

No it's not true - you can drive, just be prepared for the worst roadway you've ever seen - you'll be ok in the jeep but it's still slow going for the entire mile and a half out to the resort.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,776 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anse Chastanet

@ Odette - theoretically, you could walk out to Soufriere for some of the local eats - Hummingbird, The Still or spots in Soufriere town proper. It would be around 45 minutes or so out to the highway on unpaved, not well lit non-sidewalk "road". Not recommended. And not walkable to Jalouse, Hotel Chocolat, Lader, etc at all!

Yesn you can drive in/out to AC - it is a rugged, unpaved narrow road, but you can drive it, there are both villas along the road and AC & Jade mountain at the end of the road. I would recommend a Jeep or high-clearance vehicle. You do not have to take water taxis if you don't want to.

Enjoy your visits.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anse Chastanet

Please could you tell me a little more about water taxis? If during the day we want to leave Anse Chastanet and visit Soufriere town would a water taxi to Soufriere bay be the best way? Also arriving at the resort from Castries with our luggage- can we use a water taxi from Castries or Soufriere for that or do we have to use the rocky road?

Thanks.

cheshire
Level Contributor
107 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Anse Chastanet

The resort has its own water taxi which goes to Soufriere on a regular basis. Also there is a (free) guided walk on Saturdays with a water taxi back. A few guests do arrive by water taxi, mainly from other hotels I think. Watch out for the weather, some water taxis have little if any shelter.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
238 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anse Chastanet

We have stayed here twice and it is heavenly. The food is very good but also very expensive, if you want peace of mind go for a meal plan. It's not going to be easy to go out at night, not safe on foot and dark and tricky by car. However, as others have said you can easily walk or go by water taxi to Soufriere in the daytime. There are many activities and walks provided by the resort so my guess is when you get there you won't want to leave.

Edited: 06 November 2012, 08:22