We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been covered before -- I did not see it in a quick search. I'm trying to pack for my trip to St. Lucia this week -- yay! I'm staying at Anse Chastanet and hoping to hike Gros Piton while I'm there. Do I need to pack my hiking boots or will I be able to manage in sneakers?

Also, how fancy/formal are the restaurants at Anse Chastanet in the evenings? I wouldn't wear shorts to dinner but would a simple sundress or skirt/nice tee-shirt combo with sandals be acceptable? I do not want to bring any shoes with heels! especially since there seem to be lots of steps at the resort.

Thanks for your help!

Destin, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

while you can manage with sneakers, i would highly recommend hiking boots. dress code for restaurants is smart casual. sun dress will do, slacks and a collared shirt/polo for dinner. heels not necessary. great choice, an awesome time awaits you!!

Oroville, California
Level Contributor
700 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

If you want, but it's not neccessary. Tennis shoes will do. But whatever is more comfortable for you. I prefer tennis shoes though.

essex
Level Contributor
494 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Ohhh lucky you !

We stayed April/,may last year.

My husband done the climb, no other holidaymakers wanted to do the climb, so he waited most of week for someone to join the trip. But the arranged it for a taxi to pick him up - pretty early 6-6.30, they put a picnic for breakfast in our fridge ( which he didn't find until the next evening), but he got some bananas from the breakfast restaurant on the way out. A guide met him to take him up. He found it just as hard going up as down.

He said he did need his walking boots, he was glad he took them, though cumbersome, to pack.

He returned to hotel around midday, triumphant - great photos, and a sense of achieving something.

No, don't bother with high heels - dress smart but casual. We found the restaurants could get quite warm at night, - no air conditioning - just breeze if you are lucky and ceiling fans. I took too many dresses which were too hot to wear ! And make up - well that didn't last long once you put it on !

Have a great time !

Oh, you will also need two or three bottles of water for the climb.

If you have anymore questions about the climb - I will ask him for you ?

Northern Ireland...
Level Contributor
9,124 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

I used lightweight hiking trainers..... Not sure what the proper title for them are !!

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,969 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Bon jou elisarose,

Most visitors hike in sneakers/tennis shoes or a very lightweight hiking boot and manage quite well.

You need a sturdy sole for traction & a closed toe for protection.

Bless up! Paul

Brooklyn, New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Thanks so much. I have a pair of lightweight hiking shoes that I'll bring.

I'm very excited -- can't wait to be somewhere warm -- it is freezing in NY!

NYC
Level Contributor
21 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

So how was your trip? Did you make the climb? As another New Yorker I am looking forward to my turn there in two weeks. Time to escape the snow.

Powell, Ohio
Level Contributor
87 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

Just finished the hike. Cross trainers or light duty hike boots. You will be glad. You need something stable with support.

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

I suggest you wear hiking shoes - you need sturdy footwear with good traction.

Edited: 10 February 2013, 22:27
Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I need hiking boots for Gros Piton? and other packing Qs

I did it in sandels a couple years ago, trainers would have been better, but I had no problems. It's more of a walk up a hill than a hike, go early and take enough water.