We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Family Vacation

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
Family Vacation

I planning a trip to St. Lucia this coming Christmas with my husband and two teen daughters. Want a nice ares to stay. No TOOO much congestion but don't think we'd want to be around a bunch of honeymooners either. Love the idea of a self contain villa, but not sure what part of the island would suit us or to focus in on. We are not huge shoppers, yet appreciate cafes and places to walk to. I get the feeling Rodney Bay might not give us the ambiance we want because it seems pretty hectic, yet it might be good from my daughters to be independent and walk around alone. THOUGHTS??

Berkshire
Destination Expert
for Vieux Fort, Gros Islet
Level Contributor
2,265 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Family Vacation

Hi,

For scenic beauty the Soufriere area is where you want to be but dont rule out Rodney Bay because by no standards is it crowded or hetic. Yes it is busier than Soufriere but in Rodney Bay there are places to walk to, including cafes, a long beach, 2 (small by US standards)shopping malls, the marina etc. All perfectly safe and good variety to walk around.Good choice of hotels, apartments etc.

In Soufriere from many of the hotels there is not too much that can easily be walked to.There are exceptions of course and you mention a villa. I am not sure about villa locations in the Soufrie area

STEVE

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,453 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Family Vacation

Susan O - Nothing in St. Lucia is hectic with the exception of traffic in the City itself. For walking distance to things then it's Rodney Bay (and it's far from a super busy area but there will be more people when cruise ships are visiting). Your daughters could wander around this area but should be aware of their surroundings regardless.

Soufriere is quiet, gorgeous and you won't be walking to anything unless you stay right in the town (and there are few places to stay there and I wouldn't recommend your daughters walking around alone). It's a great place to rent a villa if that is what you are wanting.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,050 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Family Vacation

Susan O,

Vacation villas in the Soufriere-area are located on the ridge along the NW road leading to Anse Chastenet, behind & between The Pitons off the road leading to Viceroy Sugar Beach and behind the Rabot Estate (Hotel Chocolat) a 10 min drive south of Soufriere off the West Coast Road.

Check out Stonefield Estate Villas above Malgretoute Beach at the base of the Petit Piton for their self-catering villas with pool.

A 5 min drive south or 30 min walk along beach from Soufriere.

Walk to Piton Falls, Martha's Tables, Harmony Beach Bar & Restaurant.

Bless up! Paul

Oshawa, Canada
Level Contributor
3,395 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Family Vacation

How old are your teen's? Don't think I'd let mine go off on their own.

Vieux Fort, St...
Level Contributor
1,211 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Family Vacation

If I had two teenagers I would book Bay Gardens Beach Resort. I go there with my kids. I think you would love Soufriere, where I am from but it may be too quiet for the children. Its a place for peace and relaxation, not enough nightlife or shops for them. Rodney Bay has more going on.

6. Re: Family Vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Soufriere