We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gros Piton Hike

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
3 posts
Save Topic
Gros Piton Hike

I will be in St. Lucia on a cruise in April and would really want to do the gros piton hike. Is that hike possible for cruise ship passengers given the time constraint? How do I hire a guide before hand? Also, any recommendation for reliable transportation to/from cruise ship terminal to the hike will be appreciated.

Rocky Mountain...
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia, Castries
Level Contributor
5,419 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gros Piton Hike

I don't think you will be able to do it while in port as you won't have enough time. Someone else can give a better answer but I hate being on time constraints and getting back to ships.

Newark, Delaware
Level Contributor
565 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gros Piton Hike

It depends on the timing of your ship. While I was there, I did hear of a group that came down by boat and stopped at the Still Beach House for lunch on the way back up. I think boat would be the quickest way down, possibly going straight to the Anse L'Ivrogne trailhead. That adds on an additional 600' elevation climb and descent, but may save you time compared to driving to the main trailhead. Try contacting the Gros Piton office directly and see what they say. It is definitely possible even if you drive all the way there, if you have maybe 8 hours at port. 2 hours each way pus a 4 hour hike would give you some leeway, but the boat would be faster (and more expensive).

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gros Piton Hike

Yes, it is possible, depending on your sailing hours. Spencer Ambrose offers a package, with transportation, hike, and lunch. Serenity alo, I believe. And some ships offer the tour itself, which depending on your hours, may be the best bet, as they will wait for you if your ship's tour runs a bit late.

But yes, lots of people have done it. It is strenuous, bring lots of water and wear layers and broken in boots or sturdy tennis shoes/trainers.

Enjoy.

St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11,701 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gros Piton Hike

Yes, it is possible, depending on your sailing hours. Spencer Ambrose offers a package, with transportation, hike, and lunch. Serenity alo, I believe. And some ships offer the tour itself, which depending on your hours, may be the best bet, as they will wait for you if your ship's tour runs a bit late.

But yes, lots of people have done it. It is strenuous, bring lots of water and wear layers and broken in boots or sturdy tennis shoes/trainers.

Enjoy.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gros Piton Hike

Bon jou mashy 28209,

Cruise ship passengers have enough time to hike the Gros Piton, of course!

Any private land taxi can drive you to the Fond Gens Libres trailhead AND will wait for you to return you to your ship on time.

With lunch and swim/snorkel stop.

USD 180 - 200/up to 3 people, transport only.

Bless up! Paul

Castries, St. Lucia
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gros Piton Hike

yes it is posible with Paradise Excursions {reccomemded on tripadvisor},by boat from the port to the base,so you start at sea level and have time to swim and lunch at Soufriere on the way back.

Smithfield, Utah
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Gros Piton Hike

I did it with my wife and a group of friends last Tuesday, March 19th. We were on Royal Caribbean. We got off the ship at about 9am and had to be back by 4:30pm. We booked with Real St Lucia Tours a few weeks in advance. They picked us up at the cruise port in an air conditioned van, stopped in town to pick up some fresh bread for us to eat on the way, took us to the trailhead, gave us each a 32 oz bottle of water and were waiting for us when we got done, the driver made a few stops on the way back so we could take pics. We got back to the ship about 4:00pm. It was about a 1.5 hour drive from the cruise port to the trailhead. The drive is fairly windy with lots of turns, so if you are prone to car sickness you may want to take some motion sickness meds.. Two of my friends got a bit sick on the drive over so we had to stop for a bit. The hike is awesome! We were a bit pressed for time so we kept a pretty good pace going up in about 1 hour and 30 minutes... the hike would be considered difficult by most people (imo). There were 12 in our group ranging in age from mid 30s to mid 40s, only 7 of us made it to the top. You go up with guides who have been up the mountain countless times, they were aware of what time we needed to be back, what our pace was like and made sure we were back to the van in time. We could have got off the ship at 8am, so if I had it to do over I would have got an earlier start so as not to be in quite as much of a hurry.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,870 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gros Piton Hike

Bon jou mashy28209,

If you take a water taxi or tour from Castries Harbor to the beach trailhead (0-2619') at our base in Anse L'Ivrogne/Sevoigne we will prepare an authentic Carib Beach BBQ Feast or Carib One-Pot for lunch at your return.

You can, also, swim/snorkel or kayak the wild Marine Reserve Reefs... right here in the most beautiful unspoiled bay in St. Lucia.

Then it's a straight shot back to Castries Harbor saving you +/- 2 hrs.

Reservation required.

Email for details.

Bless up! Paul

9. Re: Gros Piton Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 04:17