We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

A link to the rest of the story...

usatoday.com/story/…

plymouth
Level Contributor
65 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

I know crime can happen wherever you go , but this unsettles me as I am traveling to St Lucia within the next 3 weeks with my 3 year old and 8 month old , makes me wonder if I should still continue to these places with my children , if it was just myself and husband I would defo still go on the day trips planned ! Any advice

Toronto
Level Contributor
5,119 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

This is entirely speculative but I think they were most likely targeted at the cruise ship docks. Travelling with your family it is highly unlikely something like this would happen. This crime is very high risk as the perpetrators know St Lucia police do not hesitate to use force, so they chose a target with high rewards. I feel very sorry for the victims as it must have been a horrendous, nightmarish episode. The best advice I can give is to just be aware of your surroundings and take note of any suspicious characters. Stay away from very isolated areas and try not to draw any undue attention to yourselves - don't flash cash or wear expensive jewellery. My wife and I have driven all over St Lucia and not had any difficulties whatsoever, which is the experience for the vast majority of visitors. Unfortunately a few bad people are giving St Lucia a bad reputation - their little heist could end up costing millions in lost tourism revenue.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 19:39
leeds
Level Contributor
364 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

I second that , Ive been all over the island for over 20 years as a boy and a man with a family and have never seen or been involved with anything troublesome , Its just a random unfortunate incident , and Im sure you will have a wonderful safe time with your young family .

Montreal
Level Contributor
192 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

You are very wise to be cautious.. earlier this year a Canadian man died after an altercation on the beach. Even though gdbear has driven all over and not had any problems, we have driven around the island and have some unsetlling interactions with some of the locals trying to extort money. Stick to taxis and avoid Soufriere and you should be okay.

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

"This is entirely speculative but I think they were most likely targeted at the cruise ship docks."

Since we're speculating... I speculate something more along the lines of this: Cruise ship arrives every 3rd Friday at 8:00.. bus is loaded every 3rd Friday by 10:30. arrives Botanical Garden every 3rd Friday at 1:15.

Everyone on the island knows when a cruise ship is in and everyone knows where the bus tours are going. I always feel safest going where the tourists are not. Like gdbear says, they've driven all over the island without a problem. Typical tourist won't be driving all over the island, but going to where the tourist go. It's happened before, groups of tourists being robbed.. not only in St. Lucia, but happening many places around the caribbean.

Edited: 15 April 2013, 20:34
Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,973 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

Bon jou Tout Moun,

Hallelu Jah... ony one person was injured and no one was killed!

The St. Lucia Board of Tourism has relied for too long on the "friendliness" of ALL the St. Lucian people towards visitors and the Government of St. Lucia has believed for too long that Bad Boys only attack other St. Lucians... in spite of evidence to the contrary.

Now after this Too Big To Hide event and IF the Government of St. Lucia follows their words with actions THEN Soufrere will be one of the safest places on island.

AND

The Cruise Lines can provide their own security for the land tours they sell to their customers instead of relying on local Tour Guides or the Royal St. Lucia Police to be their Security Guards... A solution the cruise lines have been opposed to for years throughout the Caribbean.

Bless up! Paul

@ Subwater Dat true!

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

Nathub quote:

~we have driven around the island and have some unsetlling interactions with some of the locals trying to extort money. Stick to taxis and avoid Soufriere and you should be okay.~

Did you report the extortion of Money to relevant authorities in St. Lucia and or the appropriate Canadian officials? Please explain what happened to you.... your first post here about St.Lucia was concern for safety, what was missing from the answers you received?

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

Congomon, at which exact tourist/site/stop did this take place?

Chicago Burbs, IL
Destination Expert
for Soufriere
Level Contributor
3,338 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

nurseplymouth ,

:-( Oh MY... just turned on the TV today, are you from Plymouth, MA?

I do... so....so.... feel for the younger generation these days, with the extreme over load of info. the news and Internet, etc. :-(

Safe?!? Where!?!

Sioux Falls, South...
Level Contributor
47 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mass robbing of cruise ship passengers Botanical Gardens

The link in the original post says the Botanical Gardens, Soufriere