We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Hi everyone.

I am very excited to have now booked a visit to St Lucia next March / April. I shall be travelling with my husband and my 2 year old son. We are staying in the Fond Doux Plantation as it seemed reasonably priced, located and we loved the idea of being in such tranquil settings.

We now need some help with planning the best use of our time there! We have been very lucky to travel a lot of the world (mostly before our son arrived) and have trekked through jungles, scuba dived the best sights in the world, spent time with local tribes people in remote locations and generally love getting immersed in the culture of where ever we visit. Staying in an international 5* AI resort is not idea of fun.

From what I have seen on here so far we have the plantation tour and the Tet Paul trail on our doorstep. Plus the Pitons, volcano / mud baths, Diamond gardens & falls seem to be great places to visit as well as some trips to beautiful beaches, snorkling, visiting Soufriere and trying out some of the local restaurants etc.

Looking at the location it seems walking is not much of an option. Fond Doux offer free shuttles to Sugar Beach so we can visit there easily enought but I'm not sure on the best way to do the rest.

So my questions are:

1) Are we best of hiring a vehicle or is much of what we want to see best with a driver or taxi's? We need to factor in the need for a child seat - we can bring our own but what do we do with it in between uses if we go for taxi's?

2) Does anyone have any recommendations of where else we could visit to experience the real St Lucia. Our son is pretty well travelled and loves nature, water etc and we'll have our walking back-pack with us so we can do quite a lot including him but we do need to be concious of child friendly adventures - for example I guess a hike up the Pitons is out of the question?

3) Are the restaurants child friendly? Will we be frowned upon if we take him along to dinner? (We obviously would not subject anyone to any crying or tantrums etc and would take him out if that happened)?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :)

Clare

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Bon jou tout moun,

The Soufriere Marine Management Area (SMMA) regularly tests the seawater and freshwater sources & rivers in the Piton Management Area (PMA).

All the waters at our base at Anse L'Ivrogne /Sevoigne are considered among the "cleanest" waters on island.

We blessed! Paul

@ manet.herbe... iamat.org/pdf/World_Schistosomiasis_Risk_Cha…

SAINT LUCIA S.m., g 50, VII

S.m. = Risk of Schistosomiasis caused by Schistosoma mansoni

g = infection under control; possible risk of re-infection

50 = SAINT LUCIA Projects for total eradication of Schistosomiasis are in progress and risk of infection is low. However, travellers should still consider all fresh water bodies infected.

VII Biomphalaria glabrata (Australorbis glabrata)

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Thanks Paul, it was another couple that got the ... schist, so to speak! The problem for me was how long it took to treat the hookworm as my doctor in the UK wasn't familiar with the disease. The point of entry was on my knee and I'm pretty sure I picked it up on the public beach near Soufriere where we were dropped off for the waterfall walk, when I knelt to put put on my trainers. The beach, I later discovered, was not short of organic matter, canine and human. It could happen to anyone, but anaemia and lassitude are no fun for kids.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Irie, manet.herbe... Big up! Paul

Edited: 07 October 2013, 19:49
St. Petersburg...
6 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Blessed Love King......Will I be able to buy or rent a chip fi mi phone to mek it local?

Natural

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Buy a 758 SIM card, Rastaqueen1, at any Digicel or Lime outlet island-wide, of course!

Big up! Paul

Midlands
Level Contributor
23 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Hey Congomon,

Our trip is nearly upon us and i would like to book at least the airport transfer and maybe also the Choiseul countryside visit. Does Fimba Taxi or Nickey have acess to email? Phoning from the UK is not that easy to arrange?

Your Lion Zion Farm trip also looks very interesting!

Thanks

Clare

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

Bon jou Clare/thegremlins,

You can email us the specifics at zionlionfarm@gmail.com and we can contact Fimba & Nickey.

OR

Nickey's email is nickeydan410@gmail.com

AND

Fimba's email is Nathilove@gmail.com

Bless! Paul

18. Re: Help planning our visit... a few questions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 07:18