We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rum punch to go

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Rum punch to go

We'll be renting a villa outside Soufriere later this week and we're looking forward to dinners in town. I have a list of restaurants from the forum, thanks so much. Between winding, hilly roads and no experience driving on the left, we won't be drinking at dinner, I don't think. But it would be really nice to bring a jug of rum punch (or some other rum drink) home with us after dinner. Are there restaurants that will do that for us?

I know we could buy all the ingredients in town and mix it up ourselves, but we don't mind paying a few extra dollars to have someone who knows what they're doing, do it for us.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Rum punch to go

Bon jou Laura B,

There is no law in Saint Lucia against carrying/consuming alcoholic beverages in public. However, public intoxication - aka "drunk and disorderly" - is a summary offense.

At most bars/restaurants/rum shops you can buy drinks-to-go... remember to bring a container.

Bless up! Paul

Wilmington, Delaware
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rum punch to go

Thanks for the info, Paul!

3. Re: Rum punch to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 16:37
Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rum punch to go

Since you are staying at a villa, why not make your own batch? That way you'll have it for your trip. It's so ridiculously easy; no degree in mixiology required! Your villa likely has a cook or chef that can help you cook up a batch, keep it brewing in the fridge, and then you'll be ready to go. That way you can customize to your own tastes.

The basic rule of thumb for the islands is:

"One [part] of sour, two of sweet, three of strong, four of weak:

This translates to:

- 1 part of lime juice (or sour orange); also add a few dashes of bitters

- 2 parts simple syrup

- 3 parts of a good local rum such as Charmain's Reserve

- 4 parts of fresh fruit juice (orange, pineapple, could even use a little fresh mango)

You can mix up the fruit juices in advance and add in fresh cinnamon sticks and some fresh nutmeg. Let this "marinate" in the fridge for hours to blend in the spices. The fresher your ingredients are, the better the taste.

You can probably get most of the fresh ingredients you'll need to make a good batch from the yard of your villa, except the rum of course!

The actual amount of simple syrup you'll need depends on the sweetness of your batch of fruit juice. (less is usually better.)

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Rum punch to go

True dat, keithjwaz!

Definitely take advantage, Laura B, of your villa's chef's/cook's talents & skills at putting together our local foods & drinks... she/he will be happy to share.

And make friends with the groundskeeper/gardener to keep you well stocked with tropical fruits & vegetables.

Big up! Paul

NYC
Level Contributor
97 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rum punch to go

Thanks for posting that recipe! I got my neighborhood liquor store here in Brooklyn to stock Chairman's Reserve, and I've tried a few pre-mixed fruit punches, such as Snapple, and they were just OK. I'll try mixing my own.

And I am certainly open to other rum punch recipes if people want to share!

Peaks Island, Maine
Level Contributor
1,804 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rum punch to go

The key is to use fresh fruit. Don't buy pre-packaged fruit juice. Get the fresh fruit, juice them, and you are good to go. You can also try passion fruit and papaya.

Soufriere, St. Lucia
Destination Expert
for St. Lucia
Level Contributor
4,181 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rum punch to go

Bon jou tout moun,

Much of the "fruit juice" used in bars/restaurants (even many high-end) on island is imported boxed juice... at home we make fresh-squeezed fruit juice the traditional way:

Peel fruit (if necessary)

Grate (or blend)

Add water

Squeeze (to release juices)

Strain (into pitcher)

Add sweetener to taste

Big up! Paul

9. Re: Rum punch to go

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 June 2015, 05:16