We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I booked a stay at Ladera

Which Soufriere hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Justin522
Level Contributor
30 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
I booked a stay at Ladera

in the Gros Piton Suite for a week in April.

Any suggestions on things to do?

I'm somewhat annoyed because of course, right after I booked it, 2 somewhat negative reviews popped up on Ladera. Both of these people did get to experience Jade Mountain, however, but JM was just out of my price range...

kansas city
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

Never stayed there however we have eaten there over the years. The people that we know that have stayed there all say in was great.

The view from your rooms are the best on the island. If you stay at Ladera you can use the beach at Jalousie. In fact all beaches in St. Lucia are public beaches just some are harder to get to.

We stayed at the Jalousie and Stonefield are by Ladera. We love that part of the island.

One night the Ladera has a fish night that is great!

The town by Ladera is Soufriere. The poorest town on the island. In their heyday to was a fishing town. Town looks poor and have a lot of beggers but the people are very friendly and harmless. We have friends that live there and never had a problem.

The one thing that I have heard is that Ladera only have three side and the one side is open to the ocean and if you leave your lights on at night so bugs might fly in.

No big deal. At Stonefield, they don't have ac so we always had the doors and windows open and just had candles burning at night. Like that better anyway.

Next to the Jalousie is a place called the Bang. Wednesday night is the party night were locals and tourist eat and watch show.

No real nightlife around the Pitons area but that is how and why we stay in the area.

Got a couple of pictures of Ladera if you want them. Just let me know

Also a great way to see the island is to rent a car. Lots of people will to you not to but it isn't that bad and people will give you directions. (in Soufriere the standard fee is $1.00 for direction). Taxis are very expensive!!!! You have to get a temp. driver license at the airport good for three months. Right outside the airport is a store for beer, ect. (Piton beer is about $1.00 at the hotel it is about $5.00)

Have fun

Brian@wolcottassoc.com

St. Helena, Ca
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

Don't worry, you'll love it!!! Unless your stuffy and and extremely hard to please. I have traveled all over the world and thought Ladera was amazing. It might have the most incredible view I have ever seen! Food was great...my wife is a Vegetarian and she loved it too!! Very nice staff, great service, and nice shuttles to the beach.

With that being said, the rooms have no 4th wall as you probably already know. It can get loud at night...all I did was turn on the plunge pool at night to drown out the birds. They do not have A/C in most areas, so it can get hot and humid. Remember this is a third world country, so it's not like staying at a Ritz Carlton or something. We had an amazing time there and are already talking about going back, but it is a different type of vacation. If you want Ritz or Westin, don't go there. It is a very unique, small boutique hotel..similar to a bed and breakfast, with excellent food and an amzaing ambience.

Hickory, North...
Level Contributor
1,497 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

We just got back from two weeks at Sandals Regency and Halcyon. We Hired a private taxi (thanks John Claude) to take us to Hewanorra via Soufriere. My wife got just a little carsick just before we got to Ladera for lunch. we asked if she could lie down somewhere while the three of us ate lunch. They put her in the room right next to the infinity pool. WHAT SERVICE and they asked for nothing in return. Lunch was fantastic and the view was pricless.

For what it is worth, Dutch in Oregon.

Boston...
Level Contributor
157 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

Yeah, I didn't understand that negative post. They recommend Jade Mountain at Anse Chastenet but it's so much more expensive! Every room at Ladera has a view of the Pitons. I think you'll love it. We'll be there in a few weeks!

USA
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

I am actually on the island at the moment, can't believe I'm on line. Some info that cost me a lot of money but was well worth it!! A must know is Joseph, also known as Zex or McGuyver on Soufriere beach, near the Hummingbird "Resort." Joseph is a water taxi driver, his boat is named Surprise if you can't find him, just find it and someone will direct you, and he can take you to Anse Chastanet Beach (you don't want to drive there) and also, ask him to take you to the great snorkeling spot near the gros Piton base. It's a better reef than Anse Chastanet, just doesn't have as nice a beach, but who cares. And speaking of Anse, they are very hoity toity (not that Ladera isn't) and also very territorial; they think they own the beach. Remember, they don't., all beaches are public in SL. And Jade Mountian??? It's the ugliest thing that has happened to St Lucia in many years. There was a beautiful natural creek running down the mountian into a wonderful private waterfall. Basically, they paved paradise and put up a parking lot. Best bang for your buck if you want high end but not snooty is Stonefield. You can get a whole Villa, 2 bedroom, 2 bath for 400 a day. Private veranda with a pool!! It's great and they take you to either beach or town if you want. Plus, you have a full kitchen so you don't have to buy high priced meals all the time. For a great cheap beach lunch, check out the little food shack on the Hummingbird beach. You won't even know it's a restaurant but she's got the best and cheapest chicken wings and fish in town!! For a nice local meal, don't eat at the resorts, they are hugely overpriced. Avoid eating at the Hummingbird, overpriced and slooooowwwwwwwwwwwww. A few local places that you will love and can get a great local meal for 20 ec or less (that's about 8 bucks!!) are Fedo's, Camilla's and The Green Room. Also, Gee's, which is on the way to Fedo's. They are just a tad higher priced but lovely, great food!! Go to Debbie's in town, best beachwear you can find on the island, great prices. She is in town square, across from the Catholic church. When you are in town, don't let the few beggers or people trying to sell you something scare you. If they are really bad, be as loud and aggressive as they are, they will run from you! Don't let this scare you please, as there are many wonderful people, as you will see if you seek out those I mentioned. Also, there's a wonderful charity group you might consider supporting. Children's books are always welcome, you can fill a suitcase with em and bring back your treasures in it. The group is Baron's Drive, run by twin sisters Felecia and Fecler. Felecia works at Jalousie, Fecler manages Bang. Ask for either while there, I can give you contact info if you email me. Speaking of treasures, look for Pascal Pascal on the beach. He carves calabash beautifully and they are cheap. Check out the Piton Waterfall, also the Sulfer Springs, amazing place. Ask for Pontian who can also do a great rainforest tour, and he has great knowledge of all the natural "herbs' of the island. There are also many inexpensive places to stay! You can rent a nice 2 bedroom apartment for less than $100 a day!! This is now what we do, after having stayed at the high end resorts for many years, dumping way too many thousands of dollars!! See Cisco at the internet cafe, he can hook you up! Face it, who needs to pay $500+++ for a place to sleep?!?! You're going to be outside all the time anyway!! Even when it rains!! It always stops pretty quick and it's warm anyway! For a real adventure, rent a car and circle the island! There's a great place opposite Soufreire where you can spend the night, Fox Grove Inn. Nice, clean, inexpensive. OK, I gotta go, I'm in paradise and have been on the beach all day. Wears a girl out, you know?? Email if you would like contacts for any of the above mentioned!

North Wales/Chester
Level Contributor
583 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

Seriously Ladera MUST be experienced. The wall missing is a one off experience, at night it can be a bit startling as you are unaware of what might be in your room and the noises are very loud at times. The main noise comes from the tiny treefrog which you will never see but definately hear! Once I found out that I was so relieved as my imagination was thinking all sorts! In the day the odd bird may fly in for a visit. The views are to die for and to wake up with a lovely breeze from the distant sea between the pitons is an experience I will carry forever. The food is gorgeous. We had the most basic room which still had four poster,plunge pool etc and this hotel was the icing on the cake for our honeymoon. Naerby the Jalousie beach has great snorkelling,make sure you get around the island as it is beautiful. The taxi drivers are great and their cars are nice,the jungle must be explored and a big plus for me was that there weren't many creepy crawlies at all. Enjoy your trip,I am jealous!!

7. Re: I booked a stay at Ladera

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 02:17