We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Maarten or Cancun

Michigan, USA
Level Contributor
14 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
St. Maarten or Cancun

I'm looking for vacationers who have been to both St. Maarten and Cancun to give me their impressions of the two hot spots. Are ther any similarities or is just simply better and why. What time of year is good, where did you stay etc. Would really appreciate the feedback. Thanks.

Ottawa
8 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Maarten or Cancun

I was in Cancun three years ago and in St. Martin two weeks ago. I went all inclusive in Cancun and rented a studio in St. Martin.

Honestly, after spending a week in St. Martin - I would be hard pressed to go back to Cancun. The Dutch side of the island is very similar to Cancun - on a smaller scale mind you - and then you get the French side for a more laid back atmosphere.

I found St. Martin to be cleaner, friendlier and safer than Cancun.

I was in Cancun in April and in St. Martin in February.

va
Level Contributor
97 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Maarten or Cancun

Here is my 2 cents (!!)

Never been to cancun, but have several friends who have said they would not go back, as the previous poster.

St martin is two countries with lots of diversity. Which means the cuisine, shopping and the landscape is a joy to discover.

Beaches are great too!

I am not an expert yet ~ but hope to be one soon! :)

Besides this you can sail / fly to St Barts for the day & live like the rich and famous for a moment!

Then you can sail to Anguilla to the most beautiful beach in the world and have lunch, and enjoy.

Since these 2 islands are pretty pricey, st Martin is a wonderful place to launch, and discover all three!

There are lots of great resources in this forum, all very nice and helpful! Good luck!

Kelowna
Level Contributor
112 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Maarten or Cancun

My wife and I visited Saint Maarten in 2005 and Mayan Riveria in 2006. We stayed at the Sonesta Maho Resort in Saint Maarten and the Iberostar Lindo in the Mayan Riveria.

Here is how they compare in my opinion:

Beaches- Hands down winner is Saint Maarten. The sand, the water, and the overall environment was much nicer. The island of Anguilla actually has some of the nicest beaches that we have ever encountered.

Resorts- Based on our experiences and other information gathered from friends. You will get a more enjoyable 'resort experience' in Mexico.

The majority of the resorts go over the top to entertain their guest. Whereas, the resorts in Saint Maarten provide a lot less for the same kind of money.

Food- Saint Maarten/Sint Martin has a much wider array of food choices. If food is your ultimate choice then Saint Maarten would win hands down (non resort food). The restaurant choices are much better here than Cancun/Playa Del Carmen.

When comparing resot food there wasn't a whole lot different when it came to resorts. In fact, we actually liked the Iberostar in Mexico better than the Sonesta in Saint Maarten.

Shopping- This all depends on what you are looking for. The mexican shopping experience vs front street (jewelry/electronic equipment).

My advice...

If you choose to go to Saint Maarten, book a villa/room. I would not get an all inclusive package at a resort. You might spend a little more but your dinning experience will be much better and you will probably get to see more of the Island.

Whereas, in Mexico...all inclusive resort all the way!I I would highly recommend the Iberostar (especially if you have children).

Personally, the Saint Maarten trip was more interesting, the Mexican trip was more relaxing.

If there is anything else you would like to know, feel free to email me at smcilmoyle@hotmail.com.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Maarten or Cancun

Palmtree, I would say it depends on your age and your desires.

As Rugger said, St. Martin does not offer a lot from the resorts in the way of entertainment, but does have great beach bars and clubs available.

Also, it is a more relaxing vacation in Cancun as you usually cannot leave the hotel zone. My husband and I got to St. Martin every year and love it. My 20 somethings like Cancun because it has more for them to do, more single people there.

5. Re: St. Maarten or Cancun

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 10:22