We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

california
6 posts
Save Topic
First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

I will be in St. Martins Sept 1-8 2007. First time there.

Staying @ the Belair Beach Hotel. with my siblings can anyone plese give me the latest info on this place a timeshare gift from my aunt.

Would like to fly to St. barths , closest airport to Belair Hotel & cost ?

Would like to see Anguilla . How far is that away and cost?

Is there much activity in september I know that is hurricane season?

Are there other RCI timeshares that have reciprocity for amenities etc?

How easy is driving for a left sided driver from america?

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

I can answer a few of you questions.

The main airport is on the dutch side - it is the one you will fly into - Princess Juliana airport. The airport is tiny and doesn't have many flights. You can check Caribbean Airlines or Win-air for flight times/amounts to St Barths.

http://www.caribbean-airlines.com/

http://www.fly-winair.com/

Also, I believe American goes to St Baths.

For Anguilla - I recommend the ferry from marigot. it is $12/person each way and you need your passport. The trip takes about 20 minutes. It runs frequently. anguillaguide.com/article/…

Driving in St Martin is just like America except I think the drivers are a little crazier. Roads are narrower and people drive fast.

I've never been in september and don't do timeshares so I can't answer your other questions.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

I can help with Belair as we have stayed there several times.

It is an older property on Little Bay Beach. The units are all two bedroom, two bath. The second bedroom is quite small, but fine for sleeping. It has a full kitchen (perhaps not a dishwasher - I can't remember) with a large living/dining area. Huge glass wall with sliders runs across the front of the unit to a large balcony with table and chairs. The views are wonderful. You can watch the cruise ships come in while enjoying your breakfast on the balcony. There is a safe in the master bedroom and hair dryer provided.

The beach at Little Bay is very nice. One of the nicest on the Dutch side IMHO. There is a small pool and a nice restaurant on site. Also a small shop for last minute necessities. Plenty of lounge chairs and umbrellas on the beach and beach towels are provided.

It is very well maintained, clean and comfortable. The employees are friendly and helpful. The resorted is gated for security. I believe the units were updated in some way in the past year.

There is no reciprocity with other resorts, but you can easily walk to Divi next door. There are a couple of restaurants there and good snorkeling to the far left of the beach. Also a couple of shops and iinternet cafe. I honestly can't remember about internet at Belair.

Hope this helps!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

Found a couple of pics for 2005:

…snapfish.com/slideshow/…4771848

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

St Martin is great - while there is no recipricity for amenities, almost all places can be entered and their pools used. Sapphire in cupecoy doesn't even have doors. It has a nice pool and an ok bar with happy hour.

Getting to anguilla is not hard you take a boat. I also suggest pinel. very short, kind of strange/fun crowded boat ride. the little island is really nice and a change from the regular beaches.

You must have a car and please check out the beaches of Bay Rouge, Prune Bay and Long Bay. They are beautiful and typically underutilized. (not many services or any on a couple of these).

Also about the car - ALL CAR RENTALS ARE OFF PROPERTY at the airport. Do not believe anything that says they are in the airport. Try for a more known company like avis or hertz - trust me it will be worth the extra $30 or $40.

we only go in september - since 1992. have had a total of 3 or 4 days of rain in the past 15 years. Went in January once and Septemeber was much better. Going for 11 days this year (9/19-9/29), did 10 last year.

There is a good tour book called St Martin Alive that can give you a ton of information. There is also a St Martin tourism site that has tons of info too.

Hope this helps and have fun!

If you get brave, try one of the nude beaches. Best one is probably Orient. I hear there is almost no beach left at Cupecoy.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

These people obviously havent' been on st maarten for a long time. We have a brand new airport, it's big and spacious and everything is there. There are car rental booths in the arrival hall, from Hertz to Avis, everyone is there. The drivers here are being called "crazy" by one of the posters, but isn't it odd that we hardly have any fatal accidents comparing to the "normal" drivers of america??

Anyway, RCI timeshare that is closing out there sale right now is LaVista in Pelican. Nice little place, although the staff isn't all that nice. It's very private.

Driving here is on the left site too, we're not brittish...

Connecticut
Level Contributor
10 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

I haven't been since last September/October and the airport wasn't open then.

So are you saying that the car rental places have cars on site? Or do you still need to take a shuttle from the parking lot to the car rental agencies main lot (like Thrifty or Avis had it last year)?

Thanks for the update.

England
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

It depends how many people have booked a car with the company. If it's only 2 or 3 then they will have the cars there. If it's a bigger group, they will still have a shuttle for you.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

Actually, only a few rental agencies have a booth at the airport. And they all will meet you there and take you to their lot (only 5 mins at most) to get your car and sign the paperwork.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

i didn't mean anything negative about calling the driver's crazy. They are just different from here and you need to get used to them. i'm not used to having motorcycles pass you just because they don't feel like going the same speed as you are (in non-passing lanes). Also, cars don't seem to slow down on windy roads. I'm not going to debate the number of accidents or statistics because that really has nothing to do with how driving is perceived by someone who is driving on SXM for their first time. I just wanted to prepare the OP that driving is similar, but a little different than what it is in the States.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,142 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time with a few specific questions Help & Thanx

And not to get the original poster too confused, but driving is on the RIGHT - same at the states.

Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin