We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 November 2014, 17:41
cleveland
Level Contributor
177 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

If you stay at a self-contained resort, you are going to be safer. No question. That's true wherever you go. I can tell you that I have always felt safe in the area where you are staying (Orient Beach). The whole area is gated at night and your biggest risk is theft of unattended valuables at the beach (easily avoided with obvious precautions). La Plantation is in an upscale area of other hotels and private villas. With little ones, I doubt you will be venturing into remote areas or walking around late at night, so no risk in that respect.(Walking in the vicinity of Plantation at night is fine; I've done it many times when I've stayed in the area.) Exploring the island's main attractions by day shouldn't be a problem for you. I've been to SXM over 20 times for a week or two each time and never had a problem, nor even felt threatened by anyone. Of course, that's just one person's experience. If you're still nervous, you probably won't be able to enjoy yourself and should consider a change in plans.

Texas
Level Contributor
235 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

You are safer on SXM than most places in the USA. Might I suggest buying a bomb shelter in a rural area of Montana if you want to be totally safe?

Raleigh, NC
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

Don't fret. You will have an awesome time. We've been 5 times and look forward to returning soon. As is the case anywhere that you go including the US, you need to take precautions. We have always stayed at Grand Case Beach Club in the town of Grand Case on the French side of the island (not far from where you will be staying) and we've always walked into town at night for dinner and felt perfectly safe. Be sure to rent a car if you want to see the island. It will take you a few days to get used to the driving habits of the locals, but by the end of the week, you will be driving just like them :-)

Some places to vist while you are there: Pinel Island (a boat will ferry you over to the island), Orient Beach (if you get offended by nudity, you will need to stay away from the south end of the beach), Happy Bay beach (don't take the kids as it is about a mile hike to a secluded beach lined with palm trees), Grand Case (some of the best restaurants on the island) also be sure to eat at least one meal at Talk of the Town (lolo in Grand Case), towns of Marigot and Phillipsburg, etc.....

Since you will be staying on the french side, it is always helpful if you can speak a little French but almost everyone speaks both English and French.

West Chester Pa
Level Contributor
422 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

There is very little to worry about in Orient or in most places in St Martin for that matter. Crimes rarely happen during the day if they happen at all. Crimes happen when you are in remote areas by yourself, or walking around late at night where you shouldn't be. There are literally hundreds of thousands of people who travel to St Martin each year and they have no clue there is any crime on the island at all. The vast majority of crimes are break-ins to cars or some other kind of petty theft. We solve that be never, ever leaving anything in the car and not even locking it. If you go to the beaches where most people go, then you don't even risk getting anything stolen on the beach. There are people all over the place.

People who have never been to St Martin before read these blogs or whatever, and then get to the island and are totally suprised. There is no giant crime wave and most places are as safe as you could ever expect on any Caribbean island. It's going to be totally different than what you are picturing in your head! Having said that, I wouldn't go driving on remote roads at 2:00 in the morning. I wouldn't walk out of a bar and wander around looking for a taxi very late at night. I wouldn't leave stuff laying around in my car. I doubt that you would do that at home either. Honest, you have very little to worry about.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
450 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

Well if you are not sleeping at night than that fear is a pathologic condition that won't be remedied by any solace or reassurance from this board.

The crime is very limited and the island is safe. However, I think you are probably going to constantly worry about it during your vacation. That is not a way to spend a vacation. I would probably head to Canada then since no Caribbean or US place (including disneyworld) will be absolutely safe.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

Don't freak out.

La Plantation is a lovely place with a nice pool and restaurant right there. Some good advice has been posted, like avoiding isolated places and staying out really late at night. And not leaving anything in your car. You will have a wonderful vacation.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

tojones,

I really feel the posts about crime on SXM got a bit out of control a few weeks ago. Yes, a couple reported being attacked on the path to Happy Bay and I am sure that was a horrifying event for them. Sadly, they weren't really doing anything radically unsafe, they just got real unlucky. I think SXM crime reports have recently been like Florida's shark reports were last year. The media kept bringing up the subject and made it appear that everybody who dared set foot in Florida water was being eaten by sharks. I'm afraid the discussion boards about SXM hyped the unfortunate attack and scared alot of people. Someone even brought up dengue fever outbreak, as if you should also be concerned about your health.

These boards are for factual firsthand information. Too many people started expressing their OPINIONS, as if they were fact. I would ask you to go thru the subjects of crime, sort out the factual firsthand accounts from the hysterical rants and then make your own informed decision. That's what these boards are for. I'm sure you will have a safe and fun time on SXM.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

Am I the only one offended by her references to "the other islands that are covered in cultureless all inclusives"?

I love St. Martin and I go there every year, but if you want "culture", this is not the place. It is very Americanized.

The "cultureless" islands w/the all inclusives are actually more enlightening as they have the locals come in w/items to sell and there are many shows to see where their culture is showcased!

Just my 2 cents worth!

Solebury...
Level Contributor
288 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

I'm with you Loanlady. I think "cultureless" was an unfortunate word choice. Many destinations that offer all inclusives have some of the most interesting cultures!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,104 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time w/ family, crime fears!!!

Thank you, I thought I was being a bit touchy. We also go to the Dominican Republic every year and I find we have more interaction with the locals there than at SXM.