We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dropping dollar

Ohio
Level Contributor
123 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
dropping dollar

With the dollar dropping, are places on the French side still honoring 1/1 dollar/euro? Would this be mostly cash only?

We are going next month and hoping that the currency situation levels out

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
211 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dropping dollar

the 1:1 ratio is only for cash or traveler cheques. You don't get that benefit if you use credit cards. The list of places still offering that deal changes frequently, so you should ask if you don't see a sign.

Dickson, Tennessee
Level Contributor
889 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dropping dollar

I know our booking @ Esmeralda on French side is still 1/1 and @ last years price. Agent advised it was hurting them but since much of clientele was US they knew they couldn't sell any rooms @ current exchange rates. Weak dollar hurts more people than just us Americans.

Northeast USA
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dropping dollar

Some on the French side offer 1:1 for cash transactions. Remember, however that this is mostly for simplicity and the price is simply inflated to make up the difference. With the rapid decline of the greenback, you may still make out on the deal. We will be on island in April as well and plan to use cash exclusively on the French side. That said, i would not get my hopes up about this situation changing any time soon. The dollar has lost 45% of its value vs the euro since our last visit and that was less than a year ago! It seems to hit a new low every other day now, and the financial system as a whole seems to be on the verge of collapse if the Bear Stearns situation is any indicator. I'm fully expecting the Euro to hit $1.60 by the time we head to SXM.

Northampton...
Level Contributor
75 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dropping dollar

It is going down faster then people relize. Just tune in CNBC and watch the ticker on top of screen.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dropping dollar

I am assuming you are staying on the French side which is lovely. If you are renting a car, there are a lot of fantastic restaurants on the Dutch side. Since the Euro is so high, we tend to eat most of our meals on the Dutch side with maybe a few lunches on the French side when we frequent their beautiful beaches.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dropping dollar

Yeah - the weak dollar doesn't really impact us in SXM, as we spend very little on the French side.

Hoffman Estates, IL
Level Contributor
515 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dropping dollar

So considering that we will be using a lot of cash on the French side as opposed to credit cards, are their plenty of cash stations available? Otherwise I better head to the bank right now as we leave TOMORROW!!!!! Thanks to everyone on this board for all your valuable input over the past few months.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,465 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dropping dollar

Scroll down a little on this link and you will find a list of ATM's. But a cautionary note - on the French side ATM's you will usually receive Euro's!

www.buccaneerbar.com/index.php…

Have a great trip!

port republic
Level Contributor
2,412 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dropping dollar

I am going friday, it seems that traveler checks in us dollers is the way to go on the french side right now, until they adjust the exchange rate

San Miguel de...
Level Contributor
811 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dropping dollar

Yo Parrotfish. Check your facts on the change in value of the dollar v. euro. Its more like 18% over the last year. Here is a link to a chart. Search for: dollar vs. euro chart.

Tried to post a link but it was too long for the forum rules.

While it is not good for the French side the change is mitigated by the ability of French side residents to buy on the Dutch side. French side merchants are adapting.

Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten