We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tropical Tropicana

NYC
13 posts
Save Topic
Tropical Tropicana

Hello all! First time caller here, going to SXM from 4/5-4/12 and very excited. I have read the reviews here for car rentals and what not, but have not read too many regarding Tropical Tropicana though. They are recommended on Jeff Berger's site, and they have the best rates ive gotten so far. Is there a reason I shouldnt use them???

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tropical Tropicana

Mickey from Tropical has a good reputation. Go for it!

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tropical Tropicana

I am set to get the smalled car they have, a tiny Hyundai Getz. Any reason I should get something slightly bigger like a Corolla (I love when bigger is a corolla...)

I figure the smallest they have is best for tight parking. Am I on point here?

BTW These forum posts are great, making me really excited yet prepared for my trip!

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tropical Tropicana

Yep - we get a bashed up Ignis. The smaller the better!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
41 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tropical Tropicana

Definitely get the smallest. Parking is tight on the streets (many are also one-way) and with gas prices as they are?!?!?! HAHAH!!!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
1,105 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tropical Tropicana

I had horrible luck w/Tropical Tropicana. They gave us a car that was newer than we requested and then tried to charge us extra. Luckily I had the email confirmation with me. So, we had to return the car the next day for another. Not what I had planned to do on my vacation, waiting around to return a car at 1:00 in the afternoon! The car they finally got to us had no spare tire and you had to turn it on under the dashboard. When we went to return the car at the airport, at the appointed time, they were nowhere to be found. We ended up leaving it in the parking lot and telling the security guard, who was a friend of Mickey's where it was. I was sweating out getting my credit card bill in fear that it would have a higher price because he hadn't gotten the vehicle.

Much better luck with Kenny's Auto. Lesley Bruce meets you there and you are on your way. He meets you again when you leave.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Tropical Tropicana

How much extra did they try to charge you for the newer car?

All ive read for tropical states that they will pick you up and drop you off, just like you said yours does...

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,530 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tropical Tropicana

They all pick you up and drop you off. It's part of the deal.

8. Re: Tropical Tropicana

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 20:17
Get answers to your questions about St Martin / St Maarten