We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime??????

Louisiana
2 posts
Save Topic
Crime??????

I've read alot about the crime. From what I've gathered so far.You can't leave valuables in your hotel, villa, car, anything on the beach while swimming, or much on your person. Do you swim with something waterproof? Is a digital cameral out of the question? Do I need to keep my passport with me all the time? Someone recommended copies of your passport. Does that work? Thanks again.Surely it can't be worse than New Orleans? haha

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Crime??????

We leave our valuables in the safe in the room - along with our passports, and other document and CC's we will not need for our outing.

We carry a camera almost evervwhere we go.

We leave our baech bag on the beach, next to our chairs. There is usually someone sitting nearby to keep an eve on it. We have not invested in a chain and lock. If we go for a walk or to lunch - we take our valuables and camera with us.

We make copies of our passports. One we leave at home, the other we keep separate from the original in our luggage. We have also scanned them and emailed them to ourselves to we can have access if necessary.

I love New Orleans almost as much as I love SXM. But I was way more aware of my surroundings in NO! LOL

Chicago
Level Contributor
395 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Crime??????

Any time we travel - stateside or internationally - we have copies of our passports, keep our valuables in the room safe and copies of our travel documents accessible online either through a personal account or our email accounts - we do that with our passports too as well as taking copies with us.If you should lose a passport , having the copy with facilitate replacing it. Here are some other suggests I posted recently.

St Martin is a wonderful vacation spot with a taste of Europe, wonderful beaches and great year around weather. As a visitor there are some guidelines which may make your visit more trouble free. Avoid the tourist attitude of “I am in paradise therefore I can go anywhere, do anything, use no common sense and all will be fine.” That sets you up for potential problems. Here are some things to keep in mind.

Do not

1. leave you valuables lying on a table out in the open.

2. leave things unattended on a beach

3. carry large sums of money

4. wear a lot of expensive looking jewelry

5. bring anything that is irreplaceable

6. take out money and count it out in the open

7. walk down a dark road or alley at night alone

8. go to a secluded beach alone or significant other

9. carry valuables when going to the beach

10. Send off your teens alone at night

11. go off by yourself especially at night

Do not leave your brains at home -you would not do these things at home so why would you do it on vacation

Do

1. be aware of your surroundings - if you feel uncomfortable - leave immediately

2. use the crime postings as a reminder that crime does happen but do not let it deter you. Incidents do not mean that the destination is not safe.

3. have a designated driver if out bar hopping - this is not only important for driving but also for safety - someone who has been drinking is an easier target.

4. Do bring your bathing suit, suntan lotion and spend your time discovering the island with all of it’s wonderful beaches and delightful people.

Some of this may seem common sense but often when we vacation we seem to leave all that behind and then become frustrated when something happens.

NYC
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Crime??????

I actually just found out that the room I will be staying in does not have a room safe. The front desk has a safe though but is only accessable from 9-5. I do not like this notion but do not have a choice. My plan is to keep the passport in that safe all week and put a copy on my person and a copy in my bags in the room, and lock my bags.

Does anyone think putting stuff in the front desk safe is a bad idea.

This is the Ocean View Waterfront Apartments on Cupocoy. All rooms have safes except for the studios, which is what we have.

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Crime??????

We have stayed at a couple of places where the safe is in the "office". Hasn't been a problem, other than a little inconvienient. We just had to plan a little better, that all. Our passports never left the safe.

North Easton...
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Crime??????

I understand not carrying a lot of cash, but here's my question. When dinner costs $100+ how do you avoid carrying cash in St. Maarten. I am so used to using plastic, or going to an all inclusive, that I am wondering how to avoid the obvious when dining is so expensive ????

Cupecoy Bay, St...
Level Contributor
10,411 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Crime??????

Can't help you there. We don't spend that kind of $$. And if we get even close to that, we're on the Dutch side where we can use our CC with no issues or extra charges.

OIB, NC
Level Contributor
725 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Crime??????

Most restaurants will take travelers checks for those pricy dinners. The trick is to only take what you think you will need for a particular outing-be it in cash or TC's.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Crime??????

Just excercise good common sense. We were there last year, and had no problems at all. Just know that if you leave valuables laying around, they could be stolen, just like here in the U.S. I have a relatively nice digital camera that I take with me wherever I go on vacation; it pretty much stays on my person. If I'm on the beach and go for a swim, generally my wife will stay with stuff, or a friendly neighbor will keep an eye on things. It's funny how when you actually ask someone, they're willing to help, and generally feel obligated to do a good job. We did not carry our passport with us at all times, and don't think it's necessary. For backup passport, my wife and I have started scanning a copy of the passport and emailing it to ourselves; this way, we always have access to it, and the copy can't be stolen as well. We used platic quite a bit when we were there; we carried very little cash. What cash we did use was primarily for drinks at the bar, road side eats, and other odds and ends.

9. Re: Crime??????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 06:21