We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
Save Topic
St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

I'd like to take my wife to the Caribbean for her birthday next year...trying to plan ahead. We prefer All Inclusive. We'd probably prefer no children on this trip. We'd leave ours at home, why deal with other people's children...lol? What are your suggestions for a terrific get away and why? Don't worry about money limitations. I'm just looking for ideas at this point. I'll worry about the dollars and cents (sense?) later. Thanks in advance.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

Oops...forgot to mention we like lounging on the beach or pool and just taking it easy. We are constantly on the run at home and use our time away to sit and relax with good food and drink.

North Easton...
Level Contributor
55 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

I think if you want an all inclusive, you should think of another island. We have been to all inclusives in Punta Cana and the Mayan Riviera that are wonderful. St. Maarten is not the place for all inclusives.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

Thanks, sarreina. I'll do that.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

I have to agree - if you want AI I would choose another island. One of my favorite things about SXM (besides the beaches) is the selection of food choices all over the island and at all price points. Also, I love to visit a different beach every day (I think there are 37 of them) and sample their food/beverages. AI tends to limit you. But I would recomemnd the island if you are will to rent a car and explore SXM. Just my thoughts.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,192 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

The other posts are right on. You do not wanr an AI in St. Martin. There is just too much to offer from dining to beaches etc. We have done AI, once in Punta Cana and in Jamaica. If you are looking for the ultimate experience with AI, the Royal Plantation or Jamaica Inn are top of the line. Expensive, but worth every penny. Read the reviews on TA Jamaica forums.

New Mexico
Level Contributor
385 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

I would agree with all of the above posts. St. Maarten is a great island, with way to much to see and do to limit yourself to an AI. It's definitely and island where you want to be out and about.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,134 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

Thank you all for the wonderful insight.

With that, what Non-AI resorts would you suggest and why?

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

NeedBlueWater,

Because of your name and the fact that you are your wife like to lay around and relax and eat well, I have a different direction to take you. Instead of St. Martin why not try Anguilla? It's a 25 minute ferry ride from St. Martin and it has the most lovely beaches anywhere in the Caribbean. My husband and I are just like you. We spend all day every day at the beach laying around and sunning and then like to go out for a great dinner. There are some FANTASTIC restaurants there. No AI's, but you wouldn't want one with all the great choices. Here are a couple of sites for more info on island and the resort I recommend.

www.anguillaguide.com

www.cuisinartresort.com

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,743 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

Anguilla is a great choice too for a quiet, relaxed vacation.

On SXM - I stay at the Grand Case Beach Club every year. I like the rooms, staff, size, location and price. It's also on a nice beach (Petit Plage) if I don't feel like going anywhere. I do like being able to walk into Grand Case for dinner at night, having a few drinks and not worrying about driving home. The resort is alwys quite busy, but you don't get that 'crowded' feel. I prefer the French side to the Dutch because it seems quieter, prettier and more relaxed IMO (others may disagree).

If I wasn't worried about budget - I'd probably choose L'Esplande right up the hill from GCBC. The rooms and hotel overall look lovely. A co-worker goes there and raves about it. It's just out of my price range with all my other trips I do throughout the year.

10. Re: St Maarten/St Martin for my wife's birthday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2009, 07:21
Get answers to your questions about St. Maarten-St. Martin